- Interventional Radiology
Alexander Kim, MD, is the division chief of Interventional Radiology and an assistant professor of Radiology at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital.
Dr. Kim received his medical degree from Drexel College of Medicine in 2003 and completed his residency and fellowship in diagnostic radiology and interventional radiology at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. He also completed a research fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital in New York.
He joined the division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology in 2012 and currently serves as the program director for the fellowship program.
Dr. Kim's primary clinical focus is minimally invasive therapies for various cancers. His practice scope includes treatment of primary and secondary liver cancers using a wide variety of therapies, including transarterial chemoembolization (TACE), transarterial radioembolization (TARE), and percutaneous ablation. He also treats primary pancreatic cancer with a novel therapy called irreversible electroporation.
His other main clinical interest is the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) due to benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) using a minimally invasive technique called prostate artery embolization (PAE).
Dr. Kim is currently involved in numerous clinical trials. He serves as the lead institutional investigator in the multicenter HiQuality Trial, a trial for patients with primary liver cancer.
He is a co-investigator in a prospective institutional trial of prostate artery embolization, which was the first FDA-approved PAE trial in the country.
Dr. Kim has presented at a number of local and national meetings regarding minimally invasive cancer care and BPH. He is an active member of the Society of Interventional Radiology and the Radiological Society of North America.
Dr. Kim's clinical interests include interventional oncology, liver cancer, metastatic disease and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). He decided to enter this field because it affords him the ability to affect patient outcomes dramatically with minimal invasiveness.
- Residency Program: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital (2012)
- Internship/Residency: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital (2005)
- Medical School: Drexel University College of Medicine (2003)
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Family Choice-DC Healthy Families
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (2)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Montgomery Medical Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital