- Orthopedic Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- back pain
- cauda equina syndrome
- cervical arthritis
- cervical bone spur
- cervical cancer
- degenerative spine conditions
- failed back surgery syndrome
- herniated disc
- lower back pain
- lumbosacral radiculopathy
- neck pain
- post-laminectomy syndrome
- scheuermann's kyphosis
- spinal tumor
- spine injuries
- spondylosis with myelopathy
- artificial disc replacement surgery in the cervical spine
- cervical biopsy
- cervical spinal fusion
- cervical spine surgery
- epidural injection
- lumbar spinal fusion
- minimally invasive spine surgery
- myelopathy surgery
- scoliosis surgery
- spine biopsy
- spondylosis surgery
Dr. Jazini specializes in surgery for adults and children with a wide range of spine problems, including deformities of the spine, spine trauma, cervical spine disorders, low back pain, failed back surgery syndrome, and complex spine reconstructions. His areas of special expertise include minimally invasive surgery, which can help shorten his patients’ recovery time, and motion preserving spine surgery, which allows patients to maintain most of the motion in the spine, an advantage other types of spinal fusion surgery do not offer.
Dr. Jazini earned his medical degree at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, New York, then returned to Maryland, where he had attended high school, to complete his residency at the University of Maryland Medical Center, R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center. He then completed his neurosurgery and orthopaedic fellowship in adult and pediatric spine surgery at the Norton Leatherman Spine Center in Louisville, Kentucky.
Dr. Jazini is a conscientious, detail-oriented, compassionate surgeon who serves the communities of Northern Virginia, Prince George’s County, and Southern Maryland. He takes a conservative, multidisciplinary approach to treating his patient that includes both non-surgical and surgical treatment options to provide his patients with pain relief and restoration of function so they can get back to the activities that are important to them at work and at home.
In addition to his surgical practice, Dr. Jazini is also assistant professor of orthopaedics at Georgetown University School of Medicine and oversees residents’ research projects for the department. He has published numerous peer-reviewed journal articles and chapters and has presented at over 60 national and international meetings on a range of topics, including minimally invasive spine surgery, adult deformity, spine trauma, and cervical spine disorders. Dr. Jazini is developing a new minimally invasive screw placement technique that reduces the amount of radiation a patient is exposed to during surgery.
He also volunteers overseas and has received two traveling fellowship scholarships that allowed him to treat patients in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Thimphu, Bhutan.
When he’s not a work, Dr. Jazini enjoys traveling, biking, and skiing with his wife.
- Fellowship Program: Norton Hospital (2017)
- Residency Program: University of Maryland Medical Center (2016)
- Residency Program: University of Maryland Medical Center (2012)
- Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine (2011)
Tannous O, Jazini E, Weir TB, Banagan KE, Koh EY, Greg Anderson D, Gelb DE, Ludwig SC. Facet Joint Violation During Percutaneous Pedicle Screw Placement: A Comparison of Two Techniques. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017 Aug 1;42(15):1189-1194. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000002001. PubMed PMID: 27922578.
Jazini E, Glassman SD, Bisson EF, Potts EA, Carreon LY. Do Former Smokers Exhibit a Distinct Profile Before and After Lumbar Spine Surgery? Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017 Jun 19. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000002293. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28632644.
Shiu B, Jazini E, Robertson A, Henn RF, Hasan SA. Anatomical Relationship of the Axillary Nerve to the Pectoralis Major Tendon Insertion. Orthopedics. 2017 May 1;40(3):e460-e464. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20170208-04. Epub 2017 Feb 14. PubMed PMID: 28195609.
Jazini E, Petraglia C, Moldavsky M, Tannous O, Weir T, Saifi C, Elkassabany O, Cai Y, Bucklen B, O'Brien J, Ludwig SC. Finding the right fit: studying the biomechanics of under-tapping with varying thread depths and pitches. Spine J. 2017 Apr;17(4):574-578. doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2016.11.019. Epub 2016 Dec 1. PubMed PMID: 27916685.
Malik A, Jazini E, Song X, Johal H, OʼHara N, Slobogean G, Abzug JM. Positional Change in Displacement of Midshaft Clavicle Fractures: An Aid to Initial Evaluation. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Jan;31(1):e9-e12. doi: 10.1097/BOT.0000000000000727. PubMed PMID: 27798552.
Jazini E, Klocke N, Tannous O, Johal HS, Hao J, Salloum K, Gelb DE, Nascone JW, Belin E, Hoshino CM, Hussain M, OʼToole RV, Bucklen B, Ludwig SC. Does Lumbopelvic Fixation Add Stability? A Cadaveric Biomechanical Analysis of an Unstable Pelvic Fracture Model. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Jan;31(1):37-46. doi: 10.1097/BOT.0000000000000703. PubMed PMID: 27997465.
Shiu B, Song X, Iacangelo A, Kim H, Jazini E, Henn RF, Gilotra MN, Hasan SA. Os acromiale fixation: a biomechanical comparison of polyethylene suture versus stainless steel wire tension band. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016 Dec;25(12):2034-2039. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2016.04.028. Epub 2016 Jul 14. PubMed PMID: 27424253.
Jazini E, Shiu B, Robertson A, Russell JP, Iacangelo A, Henn RF 3rd, Hasan SA. A Biomechanical Analysis of Anchor Placement for Bankart Repair: Effect of Portal Placement. Orthopedics. 2016 Mar-Apr;39(2):e323-7. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20160301-04. Epub 2016 Mar 4. PubMed PMID: 26942475
Jazini E, Sharan AD, Morse LJ, Dyke JP, Aronowitz EB, Chen LK, Tang SY. Alterations in T2 relaxation magnetic resonance imaging of the ovine intervertebral disc due to nonenzymatic glycation. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012 Feb 15;37(4):E209-15. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e31822ce81f. PubMed PMID: 21857410; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3348580.
Dehkordi O, Millis RM, Dennis GC, Jazini E, Williams C, Hussain D, Jayam-Trouth A. Expression of alpha-7 and alpha-4 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors by GABAergic neurons of rostral ventral medulla and caudal pons. Brain Res. 2007 Dec 14;1185:95-102. Epub 2007 Sep 21. PubMed PMID: 17950703
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Family Choice-DC Healthy Families
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (2)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- 2016 Top 10 Spine Paper, "Incidence of Complications after Therapeutic Anticoagulation in the Spine Trauma Patient" American Academy of Orthaopedics Annual MeetingOrlando, Florida
- 2016 Best Paper Presentation Award, University of Maryland Department of Orthopaedics Disputation Day Baltimore, MD
- 2016 Best Presentation, Basic ScienceMaryland Orthopaedic Association Meeting Baltimore, MD
- 2015 Orthopediatrics SRS Travelling Fellowship Scholarship Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2014 Heath Volunteers Overseas Travelling Fellowship Scholarship Thimphu, Bhutan