- apnea of prematurity
- bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- chronic lung diseases of infancy
- necrotizing enterocolitis in newborn
- neonatal abstinence syndrome
- neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia
- neonatal cholestasis
- neonatal conjunctivitis
- neonatal sepsis
- patent ductus arteriosus
- renal failure
- respiratory distress syndrome
- respiratory failure
- retinopathy of prematurity
- severe congenital neutropenia
- transient tachypnea of the newborn
- endotracheal intubation
- urinary catheter insertion
Fernando V. Mena, MD, FAAP, chief of Neonatology, and interim Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics, at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, is board certified by the American Board of Pediatrics in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. Dr. Mena has several awards, peer-reviewed publications, conference presentations, and chapter contributions to his name.
Dr. Mena was previously with the division of Neonatology at the University of Maryland where he remains a clinical assistant professor of pediatrics and where he served as the medical director of the NICU, a 40-bed level IV unit. A 1990 graduate of the University of Chile School of Medicine, in Santiago, Chile, Dr. Mena completed both his fellowship in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine and pediatric residency at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
Brain damage of the developing brain has been one of Dr. Mena's interests. Before coming to MedStar Franklin Square, he chaired the development of the Hypothermia Program for Neonatal Encephalopathy at University of Maryland, a novel therapy for newborns with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. Dr. Mena is also very interested in quality improvement in women's and children's health care, an utmost priority at MedStar Franklin Square. He is actively involved in several committees and boards at the local and state levels.
Dr. Mena is actively involved in several local and state committees including serving as Co-Chair of the Perinatal Advisory Committee for the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems (MIEMSS) and a member of the MedStar Neonatology Quality Improvement group. Dr. Mena was also named a 2019 "Top Doc" by Baltimore Magazine for neonatology; 2019 marks his ninth nomination.
In November 2017 Dr. Mena was honored by March of Dimes for Commitment To Families and Children for his dedication and passion for caring for critically ill babies and their families.
- Residency Program: University of Maryland Medical Center (2004)
- Fellowship Program: University of Maryland Medical Center (2000)
- Fellowship Program: University of Maryland Medical Center (1998)
- Residency Program: Universidad De Chile (1993)
- Medical School: Universidad De Chile (1990)
- Board Certification: American Board of Pediatrics, Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
- Baltimore Magazine Top Doc, 2010-2011, 2013-2019