- Radiation Oncology
- base of skull tumors
- cancer of parotid
- glomus tumor
- hypopharyngeal cancer
- laryngeal cancer
- malignant neoplasm of tonsils
- metastatic squamous neck cancer with occult primary
- mouth cancer
- nasopharyngeal cancer
- neck cancer
- neoplasm of ear
- neoplasm of salivary gland
- ocular cancer
- orbital tumors
- oropharyngeal cancer
- papillary cancer of thyroid
- paranasal sinus and nasal cavity cancer
- sinus cancer
- throat cancer
- tongue cancer
- pencil beam proton therapy
- proton beam therapy
William Harter, MD, is vice chair of the Department of Radiation Medicine at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, and co-director of their multidisciplinary Head and Neck Cancer/Skull-Base Tumor Service. He also holds the rank of professor at Georgetown University Medical School.
Board-certified in Radiation Oncology, Dr. Harter was a clinical fellow in head and neck radiation oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School in 1982. Previously, he was a resident at the Harvard Joint Center for Radiation Therapy, preceded by a residency in radiation oncology and an internship in general surgery, both at the Mayo Clinic. Dr. Harter received his medical degree from the Louisiana State University School of Medicine in 1978.
Dr. Harter's work has been published in many scientific journals and periodicals, and he has written numerous chapters for medical textbooks. He has been recognized as a "Top Doctor" by Washingtonian magazine every year since the award's inception.
- Head, neck and skull base tumors including re-irradiation with CyberKnife
- Orbital tumors
- Tumors of the nasal cavities
- Craniofacial tumors
- Thyroid cancer
- Melanoma of the head and neck
- Lymphoma of the head and neck
- Proton therapy
- Retreatment of head and neck cancers with CyberKnife
- CyberKnife stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- CyberKnife stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS)
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy/image-guided radiation therapy (IMRT/IGRT/Rapid Arc)
- Residency Program: Brigham and Women's Hospital (1982)
- Fellowship Program: Harvard Medical School (1982)
- Residency Program: Harvard Medical School (1982)
- Residency Program: Mayo Clinic of Rochester (1980)
- Internship Program: Mayo Clinic of Rochester (1979)
- Medical School: Louisiana State University Health Scienses Center (1978)
- Medical School: Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans (1978)
- Board Certification: American Board of Radiology, Diagnostic Radiology
Posner MR, Hershock DM, Blajman CR, Mickiewicz E, Winquist E, Gorbounova V, Tjulandin S, Shin DM, Cullen K, Ervin TJ, Murphy BA, Raez LE, Cohen RB, Spaulding M, Tishler RB, Roth B, del Carmen Viroglio C, Venkatesan V, Romanov I, Agarwala S, HARTER KW, Dugan M, Cmelak A, Markoe AM, Read PW, Steinbrenner L, Colevas AD, Norris CM, Haddad RI. Cisplatin And Fluorouracil Alone Or With Docetaxel In Head And Neck Cancer, N Engl J Med, 357(17):1705-1715. October 2007.
Kress MA, Sen N, Unger KR, Lominska CE, Deeken JF, Davidson BJ, Newkirk KA, Hwang J, HARTER KW. Hypofractionated Stereotactic Body Re-Irradiation In Head And Neck Cancer: Long-Term Follow-Up Of A Large Series Demonstrates Safety And Efficacy, Head Neck. May 2014.
Unger KR, Howard M, Slack R, Hartmann D, Newkirk K, Davidson B, Berkowitz F, Steadman K, Deeken J, HARTER KW. HPV-Positive Status Predicts For Improved Outcomes In Head And Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma After Concurrent Cetuximab And Radiation Therapy, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 78(3):S458. November 2010.
Unger KR, Lominska CE, Deeken JF, Davidson BJ, Newkirk KA, Gagnon GJ, Hwang J, Slack RS, Noone AM, HARTER KW. Fractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery For Reirradiation Of Head-And-Neck Cancer, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 77(5):1411-1419. August 2010.
Deeken JF, Newkirk K, HARTER KW, Marshall MB, Banovac F, Johnson L, Wang H, Wang Y, Zhuang T, Jay AK, Berkowitz F, Esposito G, Kallakury B, Davidson B. Effect Of Multimodality Treatment On Overall Survival For Patients With Metastatic Or Recurrent HPV-Positive Head And Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Head Neck. February 2014.
Karam I, Yao M, Heron DE, Poon I, Koyfman S, Yom SS, Siddiqui F, Lartigau E, Cengiz M, Yamazaki H, Hara W, Phan J, Vargo J, Lee VH, Foote RL, HARTER KW, Lee NY, Sahgal A, Lo SS. Consensus Statement from the International Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy Consortium for Head and Neck Carcinoma – Patient Selection and Pre and Post Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Evaluation. Int J of Radiation Oncology Biol Phys. October 1, 2016. 96 (25): E364-E365.
Karam I, Yao M, Heron DE, Poon I, Koyfman S, Yom SS, Siddiqui F, Lartigau E, Cenigiz M, Yamazaki H, Hara W, Phan J, Vargo J, Lee VH, Foote RL, HARTER KW, Lee NY, Sahgal A, Lo SS. Consensus Statement from the International Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy Consortium for Head and Neck Carcinoma – Technical Factors. Int J of Radiation Oncology Biol Phys. October 1, 2016. 96 (25): E382-E383.
Karam SD, Snider JW, Wang H, Wooster M, Lominska C, Deeken JF, Newkirk K, Davidson B, HARTER KW. Reirradiation Of Recurrent Salivary Gland Malignancies With Fractionated Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy, J Radiat Oncol, 1(2):147–153. June 2012.
Karam SD, Rashid A, Snider JW, Wooster M, Bhatia S, Jay AK, Newkirk KA, Davidson B, HARTER KW. IMRT with Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy Boost for High Risk Malignant Salivary Gland Malignancies: A Case Series, Front Oncol, July 2014.
Karam SD, Snider JW, Wang H, Wooster M, Lominska C, Deeken J, Newkirk K, Davidson B, HARTER KW. Survival Outcomes Of Patients Treated With Hypofractionated Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy For Parotid Gland Tumors: A Retrospective Analysis, Front Oncol, 2:55. May 2012.
Washingtonian "Top Doctors"
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Family Choice-DC Healthy Families
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (2)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital