- Structural Heart Disease
- Cardiac Surgery
Michael Fiocco, MD, chief of cardiovascular surgery at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital, is board certified in cardiac, general and thoracic surgery. Dr. Fiocco specializes in providing care for people with artery disease, valvular disease, and aortic aneurysm. His heart care expertise has earned him recognition by Baltimore magazine as a Top Doctor in 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2017.
Dr. Fiocco's father and grandfather were both doctors, and he takes great pride in being a heart surgeon. It's important to Dr. Fiocco that his patients feel confident about their care, so he makes sure they are well-informed. He attributes his patients' success not only to the great care they receive at MedStar Union Memorial but also to their assurance that surgery is the right and best option for them - a decision he and his patients come to together.
Dr. Fiocco and his team specialize in beating heart surgery, which allows surgeons to operate without temporarily stopping the heart during surgery. This type of surgery helps reduce complications that can occur when the heart is stopped. At MedStar Union Memorial, the majority of cardiac bypass procedures are beating heart surgeries - an achievement Dr. Fiocco is proud of, as it can mean faster healing and recovery for patients.
Dr. Fiocco has served as a primary or secondary investigator on several research studies, including one that evaluated the difference between coronary artery stents versus bypass surgery. His current research relates to how certain drugs can help with heart function. In addition, he is involved in a study investigating how newer technology can assist with minimally invasive valve replacements.
Dr. Fiocco is a member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American College of Surgeons and American College of Chest Physicians.
- Fellowship Program: University of Maryland Medical Center (1994)
- Residency Program: University of Maryland Medical Center (1994)
- Residency Program: Saint Agnes Hospital (1991)
- Internship Program: Saint Agnes Hospital (1987)
- Medical School: Ross University School of Medicine (1986)
- Board Certification: American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
- 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017 Top Doctor, Baltimore magazine