- General Surgery
- abdominal abscess
- abdominal adhesions
- abdominal wall defect
- biliary colic
- complex wound management
- epigastric hernia
- femoral hernia
- fistula enterocutaneous
- gallbladder disease
- hiatal hernia
- incarcerated hernia
- incisional hernia
- inguinal hernia
- internal hernia
- intestinal fistula
- intestinal obstruction
- paraesophageal hernia
- parastomal hernia
- rectus sheath hernia
- recurrent femoral hernia
- recurrent hernia
- reducible hernia
- richter hernia
- small bowel obstruction
- spigelian hernia
- stomach fistula
- stomal hernia
- umbilical hernia
- ventral hernia
- abdominal surgery
- abdominal wall reconstruction
- components separation
- da vinci
- da vinci abdominal wall hernia repair
- da vinci cholecystectomy
- da vinci hiatal hernia repair
- gastroesophageal reflux surgery
- hernia repair
- hiatal hernia repair
- inguinal hernia repair
- laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- laparoscopic hernia repair
- laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair
- laparoscopic incisional hernia repair
- laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair
- laparoscopic recurrent hernia repair
- laparoscopic treatment of small bowel obstruction
- laparoscopic umbilical herniorrhaphy
- laparoscopic ventral hernia repair
- lysis of adhesions
- minimally invasive surgery
- repair of paracolostomy hernia
- wound care
Parag Bhanot, MD, FACS, is an associate professor of Surgery at the Georgetown University School of Medicine. Dr. Bhanot received his medical degree from the George Washington University School of Medicine (2000) and completed his internship and residency at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center (2005). He then completed a fellowship in advanced laparoscopic surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital (2006).
Currently, he serves as the Executive Director of the MedStar Georgetown Center for Abdominal Wall Reconstruction and Hernia Surgery. The Center uses a multi-disciplinary team approach to address the most complicated abdominal wall issues. It is recognized for its excellence in patient care, education, and research. Dr. Bhanot is also the Chair of the Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Conference (awrconference.com) held annually in Washington, D.C.
His research interests include clinical outcomes research in general surgery, with a focus in hernia surgery. He has published a number of manuscripts and book chapters on these topics, including co-editing his own textbook. Dr. Bhanot also serves as a journal reviewer for general and plastic surgery. He currently serves on a number of hospital committees.
Dr. Bhanot is recognized as a national expert on abdominal wall reconstruction and has participated as faculty in over 100 national presentations, lectures, and instructional courses.
- Fellowship Program: Northwestern Memorial Hospital (2006)
- Residency Program: University of Cincinnati Medical Center (2005)
- Medical School: George Washington University School of Medicine (2000)
- Board Certification: American Board of Surgery, Surgery
2. Patel KM, Albino FP, Nahabadien MY, Bhanot P. Indications and outcomes following complex abdominal reconstruction with component separation combined with Strattice reinforcement. Ann Plast Surg. 2012 Oct;69(4):394-8.
3. Patel KM, Bhanot P. Complications of acellular dermal matrices in abdominal wall reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Nov;130(5 Suppl 2):216s-24s.
4. Patel KM, Nahabadien MY, Albino F, Bhanot P. The use of porcine acellular dermal matrix in a bridge technique for complex abdominal wall reconstruction: an outcome analysis. Am J Surg. 2013 Feb;205(2): 209-12.
5. Franklin B, Patel KM, Nahabadien MY, Bhanot P. Predicting abdominal wall closure in complex ventral hernias: Maximizing the utility of preoperative computed tomography. Ann Plast Surg. 2013 Sep;71(3):261-5.
6. McLeod RS, Brenneman FD, Rotstein OD, Bhanot P. Does the size of the stitch length affect surgical site infection? J Am Coll Surg. 2013 Sep;217(3):556-9.
7. Patel KM, Nahabadien MY, Bhanot P. Critical analysis of strattice performance in abdominal wall reconstruction: Intermediate risk patients and early complications. Int Surg 2013 Oct-Dec;98(4):379-84.
8. Albino FP, Patel KM, Nahabadien MY, Sosin M, Attinger CE, Bhanot, P. Does mesh location in abdominal wall reconstruction? A systematic review of the literature and a summary of recommendations. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Nov;132(5):1295-304.
9. Patel KM, Bhanot P, Franklin B, Albino F, Nahabadien MY. The use of intraoperative indocyanin-green angiography to minimize wound healing complications in abdominal wall reconstruction. J Plast Hand Surg. 2013 Dec;47(6):476-80.
10. Bhanot P, Franklin B, Patel KM. A single surgeon using Proceed mesh for laparoscopic ventral hernia repair. JSLS. 2013 Dec;17(4):565-69.
11. Sosin M, Patel KM, Albino F, Nahabadien MY, Bhanot P. A patient-centered appraisal of outcomes following abdominal wall reconstruction: A systematic review of the current literature. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Feb;133(2):408-18.
12. Albino F, Patel KM, Albino F, Nahabadien MY, Bhanot P. Immediate, Multi-staged Approach to Infected Synthetic Mesh: Outcomes Following Abdominal Wall Reconstruction with Porcine Acellular Dermal Matrix. Ann Plast Surg. 2014. March 21.
13. Sosin M, Patel KM, Nahabadien MY, Bhanot P. Patient-Centered Outcomes Following Laparoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair: A Systematic Review of the Current Literature. Am J Surg. 2014 Oct;208(4):677-84.
14. King K, Albino F, Bhanot P. Biological Meshes in Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. Chronic Wound Care Management and Research. 2014 Nov (1): 57-65.
15. Bambi R, Bhanot P. A Laparoscopic Extraperitoneal Approach to an Incisional and Inguinal Hernia Repair: A Case Report. SM Surgery Journal. 2015 Oct.
16. Sosin M, Nahabadien MY, Bhanot P. The Perfect Plane: A Systematic Review of Mesh Location and Outcomes, Update 2018. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018
17. Nahabadien MY, Sosin M, Bhanot P. A Current Review of Biologic Meshes in Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018
18. Shao JM, Bhanot P. Academic Perspective on the Clinical Application of Novel Predictive Risk Factor for Recurrence in Laparoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair. Ann Laparosc Endosc Surg 2018;3:30.
1. Georgetown Star, September 2017
"First Robotic Hernia Repair Performed at MedStar Georgetown
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Family Choice-DC Healthy Families
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (2)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- Washingtonian TOP DOCTORS 2018