- Thoracic Surgery
Dr. Heitmiller is Chief of Surgery, Program Director of General Surgery and Surgical Residency Program Director at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital. He performs a broad range of thoracic procedures related to cancer of the lung and esophagus.
He received his medical degree from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and completed his surgical specialty training in general and thoracic surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Richard Heitmiller, ranked in the top one percent of the nation's surgeons for esophageal and lung surgery by US News and World Report.
Dr. Heitmiller was named a Baltimore magazine Top Doctor in 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016 and 2017 for thoracic surgery.
- Residency Program: Massachusetts General Hospital (1987)
- Residency Program: Wessex Regional Health Authority (1984)
- Internship Program: Massachusetts General Hospital (1980)
- Medical School: John Hopkins Univ School of Med (1979)
- Board Certification: American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
- MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
- 2011, 2012, 2015-2017 Top Doctor, Baltimore magazine