- Orthopedic Surgery
- accessory navicular
- achilles tendon injuries
- achilles tendonosis
- acl injuries
- acromioclavicular fracture
- ankle dislocation
- ankle fracture
- ankle injury
- ankle sprain
- ankle strain
- arm fracture
- arm injury
- arm pain
- bicep pain
- broken femur
- calf pain
- cartilage injury
- charcot arthropathy
- chronic muscle injury
- clavicle fracture
- comminuted fracture
- compartment syndrome
- compound fracture
- degenerative joint disease of the foot
- degenerative joint disease of the hand
- degenerative joint disease of the hip
- degenerative joint disease of the knee
- degenerative joint disease of the shoulder
- degenerative joint disease of the spine
- degenerative joint disease of the symphysis
- dislocated knee
- dislocated patella
- dislocation of wrist
- distal ulnar fracture
- elbow bone spur
- elbow dislocation
- elbow fracture
- elbow injury
- elbow sprain
- elbow tendonitis
- femur fracture
- fibula fracture
- foot fracture
- forearm fracture
- frozen joint
- gluteal injury
- hamstring injury
- heterotopic ossification
- hip abductor tear
- hip arthritis
- hip click
- hip dislocation
- hip fracture
- hip impingement
- humerous fracture
- iliotibial band
- injury of muscle
- injury to the hip
- joint dislocation
- joint infection
- joint sprain
- knee fracture
- knee injuries
- knee tendonitis
- kneecap dislocation
- leg fracture
- leg injury
- leg mass
- ligament injury
- lower extremity malunion fracture
- malunion fracture of the foot
- malunion fracture of the hand
- malunion fracture of the spine
- medial collateral ligament injury of the knee
- meniscal tear, age greater than 50
- meniscal tear, age less than 50
- meniscus injury
- muscle strain
- muscle tears
- non-displaced fracture
- nonunion fracture
- olecranon bursitis
- orthopedic infections
- osteoarthritis of hip
- osteoarthritis of knee
- osteoarthritis of the elbow
- osteoarthritis of the foot
- osteoarthritis of the hand
- osteoarthritis of the hip
- osteoarthritis of the knee
- osteoarthritis of the pelvis
- osteoarthritis of the shoulder
- osteoarthritis of the spine
- osteochondral lesion
- osteochondral lesion of the ankle
- osteochondral lesion of the lower extremity
- osteochondral lesion of the upper extremity
- osteochondral lesion of the wrist
- osteochondritis dissecans of the ankle
- osteoid osteoma
- osteonecrosis of the foot
- osteonecrosis of the hand
- osteonecrosis of the hip
- osteonecrosis of the knee
- overuse injuries of the ankle
- overuse injury
- patellar clunk syndrome
- patellar instability
- patellofemoral syndrome
- pectoralis major tendon injury
- pelvic fracture
- persistent pain after orthopedic surgery
- prosthetic joint infection
- quadrangular space syndrome
- quadricep injury
- radial pseudarthrosis
- repetitive stress injury
- rotator cuff disorders
- rotator cuff injury
- separated shoulder
- shoulder dislocation
- shoulder injury
- shoulder instability
- shoulder strain
- slipped capital femoral epiphysis
- slipped upper femoral epiphysis
- snapping hip syndrome
- sports injury
- stress fractures
- subcutaneous tendo-achilles bursitis
- tarsal coalition
- tendon injury
- tendon rupture of the ankle
- tendon rupture of the foot
- tibia fracture
- tibial spine fracture
- tibial tendonitis
- toe fracture
- torn ligament
- torn meniscus
- ulnar nerve injury
- ulnar nerve subluxation
- upper extremity malunion fracture
Savyasachi Thakkar, MD, is an American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery certified orthopaedic surgeon at the MedStar Washington Hospital Center and the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. He also peforms same-day total joint surgery at the MedStar Surgery Center in Brandywine, Maryland. He is a member of the Maryland Orthopaedic Association, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, the AO Foundation, and the American Association of Hip & Knee Surgeons.
Dr. Thakkar specializes in the treatment of hip and knee arthritis, and fractures associated with hip and knee joints. His treatment methods include knee arthroscopy, partial and total knee replacement, partial and total hip replacement, and hip and knee revision surgery. Dr. Thakkar uses computer and robotic-assisted techniques for total hip and knee replacement procedures. These technologies have seen vast improvements in the past few years and they continue to evolve to provide cutting-edge care to patients with arthritis.
Dr. Thakkar's clinical interests include surgical management of hip and knee arthritis, traumatic injuries of the hip and knee joints, and revision joint replacement surgeries. His research interests include technological advances in the treatment of arthritis, the economic impact of arthritis, and the optimization of hospital protocols for arthritis and orthopaedic trauma surgeries.
Dr. Thakkar is interested in the development of alternative bearing surfaces in joint replacement procedures, such as ceramic and different types of metals. These materials may offer a more biologically friendly option to patients and may also improve longevity of the hip and knee prostheses. He is also interested in same-day arthroplasty surgery for a selected group of healthy patients in order to minimize time spent in the hospital and maximize return to function.
Dr. Thakkar completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Rochester where he graduated magna cum laude with a degree in neuroscience. He received his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University where he stayed and completed a residency program in orthopaedic surgery. He then completed a fellowship in adult reconstruction surgery at the New York University-Hospital for Joint Diseases before joining MedStar.
Dr. Thakkar has a deep appreciation and respect for other cultures and beliefs. He was born and raised in Mumbai, India before emigrating to the US. His international perspective has been further nurtured while training at multiple international centers in India and Switzerland. Dr. Thakkar also enjoys travelling and exploring other cultures with his wife and two children.
Philosophy of Care
I enjoy working with a wide variety of patients and physicians to try and identify and treat arthritis. My goal is to provide the most technically sound, evidence-based, and medically appropriate treatment for arthritis in adult patients.
I thoroughly enjoy combining the three cornerstones of modern medical care: teaching, research and the practice of medicine, which I was fortunate to be involved with during my medical training. I strive to provide compassionate and competent care for my patients in the community.
- Fellowship Program: Hospital for Joint Diseases (2016)
- Residency Program: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2015)
- Medical School: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2010)
Variance in predicted cup size by 2-dimensional vs 3-dimensional computerized tomography-based templating in primary total hip arthroplasty.
Osmani FA, Thakkar S, Ramme A, Elbuluk A, Wojack P, Vigdorchik JM.
Arthroplast Today. 2017 May 3;3(4):289-293. doi: 10.1016/j.artd.2016.09.003. eCollection 2017 Dec.
Same Day Discharge After Total Joint Arthroplasty The Future May Be Now.
Aggarwal V, Thakkar S, Collins K, Vigdorchik J.
Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2017 Dec;75(4):252-256. Review.
The Utility of Conservative Treatment Modalities in the Management of Osteonecrosis.
Osmani F, Thakkar S, Vigdorchik J.
Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2017 May;75(3):186-192. Review.
The utility of bicruciate-retaining total knee arthroplasty.
Osmani FA, Thakkar SC, Collins K, Schwarzkopf R.
Arthroplast Today. 2016 Dec 27;3(1):61-66. doi: 10.1016/j.artd.2016.11.004. eCollection 2017 Mar.
Navigation and Robotics in Total Hip Arthroplasty.
Wasterlain AS, Buza JA 3rd, Thakkar SC, Schwarzkopf R, Vigdorchik J.
JBJS Rev. 2017 Mar 14;5(3). pii: 01874474-201703000-00005. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.RVW.16.00046. No abstract available.
Navigation and Robotics in Knee Arthroplasty.
Buza JA 3rd, Wasterlain AS, Thakkar SC, Meere P, Vigdorchik J.
JBJS Rev. 2017 Feb 28;5(2). pii: 01874474-201702000-00001. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.RVW.16.00047. No abstract available.
2D versus 3D fluoroscopy-based navigation in posterior pelvic fixation: review of the literature on current technology.
Thakkar SC, Thakkar RS, Sirisreetreerux N, Carrino JA, Shafiq B, Hasenboehler EA.
Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2017 Jan;12(1):69-76. doi: 10.1007/s11548-016-1465-5. Epub 2016 Aug 8. Review.
Calcar femorale grafting in the hemiarthroplasty of the hip for unstable inter trochanteric fractures.
Thakkar CJ, Thakkar S, Kathalgere RT, Kumar MN.
Indian J Orthop. 2015 Nov-Dec;49(6):602-9. doi: 10.4103/0019-5413.168762.
Inpatient Mortality and Morbidity for Dialysis-Dependent Patients Undergoing Primary Total Hip or Knee Arthroplasty.
Ponnusamy KE, Jain A, Thakkar SC, Sterling RS, Skolasky RL, Khanuja HS.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015 Aug 19;97(16):1326-32. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.N.01301.
Knee Extensor Mechanism Reconstruction With Complete Extensor Allograft After Failure of Patellar Tendon Repair.
Thakkar SC, Hsu N, Hasenboehler EA.
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2015 Jun;44(6):E199-203.
Can the "turn-of-the-nut" method improve cortical screw fixation?
Thakkar SC, Langdale ER, Mears SC, Belkoff SM.
J Orthop Trauma. 2014 Apr;28(4):195-9.
Imaging the postoperative spine.
Thakkar RS, Malloy JP 4th, Thakkar SC, Carrino JA, Khanna AJ.
Radiol Clin North Am. 2012 Jul;50(4):731-47. doi: 10.1016/j.rcl.2012.04.006. Review.
Visibility of surgical site marking: a prospective randomized trial of two skin preparation solutions.
Thakkar SC, Mears SC.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Jan 18;94(2):97-102. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.J.00838.
Protrusio acetabuli and total hip arthroplasty in patients with Marfan syndrome.
Thakkar SC, Foran JR, Mears SC, Sponseller PD.
J Arthroplasty. 2012 May;27(5):776-82. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2011.08.010. Epub 2011 Oct 4.
Accuracy, legibility, and content of consent forms for hip fracture repair in a teaching hospital.
Thakkar SC, Frassica FJ, Mears SC.
J Patient Saf. 2010 Sep;6(3):153-7.
Eight-year follow-up on the effect of a hip fracture service on patient care and outcome.
Thakkar SC, Sieber FE, Zakriya KJ, Mears SC.
J Surg Orthop Adv. 2010 Winter;19(4):223-8.
Case report: perioperative use of protein c concentrate for protein C deficiency in THA.
Thakkar SC, Streiff MB, Bruley DF, Mears SC.
Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 Jul;468(7):1986-90. doi: 10.1007/s11999-009-1189-8. Epub 2009 Dec 10.
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Family Choice-DC Healthy Families
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (2)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- 13950 Brandywine RoadBrandywine, MD 20613
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital