- Hip and Knee Orthopedic Surgery
- acetabular fracture
- acl injuries
- arthritis of knee
- arthrofibrosis of the knee
- avascular necrosis of hip
- avascular necrosis of the knee
- bow legged
- bucket handle meniscus tears
- cartilage damage of hip
- damaged patellar cartilage removal
- deconditioned knee
- degenerative joint disease of the hip
- degenerative joint disease of the knee
- discoid meniscus
- dislocated knee
- gluteal injury
- gluteus medius tear
- hip arthritis
- hip click
- hip dislocation
- hip fracture
- hip impingement
- hip labral tear
- hip pain
- hip pain over age 60
- hip rotator cuff tear
- hip sprain
- iliotibial band
- injury to the hip
- instability after a total knee replacement
- knee click
- knee fracture
- knee growth plate fracture
- knee growth plate injury
- knee injury
- knee pain
- knee pain for patients aged 60 and older
- knee posterolateral corner injury
- knee tendonitis
- kneecap dislocation
- knock knee deformity
- lateral collateral ligament tear
- lesion of popliteal nerve
- lesion of posterior tibial nerve
- locking knee
- loose body in the hip
- loose body in the knee
- loosening of a total hip replacement
- loosening of a total knee replacement
- medial collateral ligament injury of the knee
- meniscus injury
- multi-ligament knee injury
- osteoarthritis of the hip
- osteoarthritis of the knee
- osteochondral lesion
- osteochondral lesion of the lower extremity
- osteochondritis of the knee
- osteonecrosis of the knee
- pain after a total knee replacement
- patella injury
- patellar clunk syndrome
- patellar instability
- patellar tendon rupture
- patellar tendonitis
- patellofemoral arthritis
- patellofemoral injury
- patellofemoral instability
- patellofemoral syndrome
- periprosthetic femur fracture
- popliteal cyst
- posterior cruciate ligament tear
- prosthetic joint infection of the hip
- prosthetic joint infection of the knee
- pseudarthrosis of the tibia
- pubic symphysis fracture
- pubic symphysis separation
- recurrent dislocation of a total hip replacement
- snapping hip syndrome
- stiffness after a total knee replacement
- tibial spine fracture
- tibial tendonitis
- torn meniscus
- trochanteric bursitis
- 2-stage revision of hip replacement
- 2-stage revision of knee replacement
- acetabular surgery
- acl repair
- anterior cruciate ligament repair
- anterior cruciate ligament repair revision
- anterior hip replacement
- arthrodesis of knee
- arthroscopy of hip
- arthroscopy of knee
- articular cartilage microfracture
- autologous chondrocyte implantation
- cartilage transplant
- computer-assisted hip surgery
- computer-assisted knee replacement
- direct anterior total hip replacement
- distal femoral osteotomy
- femoral osteotomy
- high tibial osteotomy
- hip injection
- hip joint debridement
- hip joint preservation surgery
- hip preservation
- hip rotator cuff repair
- hip surgery
- hyaluronic acid injections
- joint preservation surgery
- knee arthroplasty
- knee cartilage repair
- knee fusion
- knee injection
- knee joint preservation
- knee microfracture surgery
- knee realignment
- knee surgery
- lateral collateral ligament repair
- medial collateral ligament repair
- medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction
- meniscal surgery
- meniscal transplantation
- minimally invasive hip replacement
- minimally invasive knee replacement
- multiple ligament reconstruction
- osteochondral allograft
- osteochondral autograft
- partial hip replacement
- partial knee replacement
- patella realignment
- patellar stabilization
- patellar tendon repair
- patellofemoral arthroplasty
- patient specific instrumentation
- periacetabular osteotomy
- platelet-rich plasma injection - hip
- platelet-rich plasma injection - knee
- posterior cruciate ligament repair
- posterior hip replacement
- reconstruction of hip
- reconstructive knee surgery
- removal of hip prosthesis
- removal of knee prosthesis
- repair of hip labral tear
- resurfacing of acetabulum
- resurfacing of hip
- retrograde drilling avascular necrosis
- robotic hip surgery
- robotic knee surgery
- robotic unicompartmental knee replacement
- surgery for arthritis
- synovectomy of knee
- tendon repair surgery
- tibial tubercle osteotomy
- torn meniscus repair
- total hip replacement
- total hip replacement, age greater than 50
- total hip replacement, age less than 50
- total hip revision
- total knee replacement
- total knee replacement, age greater than 50
- total knee replacement, age less than 50
- total knee revision
Savyasachi Thakkar, MD, is an American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery certified orthopaedic surgeon at the MedStar Washington Hospital Center and the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. He also peforms same-day total joint surgery at the MedStar Surgery Center in Brandywine, Maryland. He is a member of the Maryland Orthopaedic Association, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, the AO Foundation, and the American Association of Hip & Knee Surgeons.
Dr. Thakkar specializes in the treatment of hip and knee arthritis, and fractures associated with hip and knee joints. His treatment methods include knee arthroscopy, partial and total knee replacement, partial and total hip replacement, and hip and knee revision surgery. Dr. Thakkar uses computer and robotic-assisted techniques for total hip and knee replacement procedures. These technologies have seen vast improvements in the past few years and they continue to evolve to provide cutting-edge care to patients with arthritis.
Dr. Thakkar's clinical interests include surgical management of hip and knee arthritis, traumatic injuries of the hip and knee joints, and revision joint replacement surgeries. His research interests include technological advances in the treatment of arthritis, the economic impact of arthritis, and the optimization of hospital protocols for arthritis and orthopaedic trauma surgeries.
Dr. Thakkar is interested in the development of alternative bearing surfaces in joint replacement procedures, such as ceramic and different types of metals. These materials may offer a more biologically friendly option to patients and may also improve longevity of the hip and knee prostheses. He is also interested in same-day arthroplasty surgery for a selected group of healthy patients in order to minimize time spent in the hospital and maximize return to function.
Dr. Thakkar completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Rochester where he graduated magna cum laude with a degree in neuroscience. He received his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University where he stayed and completed a residency program in orthopaedic surgery. He then completed a fellowship in adult reconstruction surgery at the New York University-Hospital for Joint Diseases before joining MedStar.
Dr. Thakkar has a deep appreciation and respect for other cultures and beliefs. He was born and raised in Mumbai, India before emigrating to the US. His international perspective has been further nurtured while training at multiple international centers in India and Switzerland. Dr. Thakkar also enjoys travelling and exploring other cultures with his wife and two children.
Philosophy of Care
I enjoy working with a wide variety of patients and physicians to try and identify and treat arthritis. My goal is to provide the most technically sound, evidence-based, and medically appropriate treatment for arthritis in adult patients.
I thoroughly enjoy combining the three cornerstones of modern medical care: teaching, research and the practice of medicine, which I was fortunate to be involved with during my medical training. I strive to provide compassionate and competent care for my patients in the community.
- Fellowship Program: Hospital for Joint Diseases (2016)
- Residency Program: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2015)
- Medical School: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2010)
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
Variance in predicted cup size by 2-dimensional vs 3-dimensional computerized tomography-based templating in primary total hip arthroplasty.
Osmani FA, Thakkar S, Ramme A, Elbuluk A, Wojack P, Vigdorchik JM.
Arthroplast Today. 2017 May 3;3(4):289-293. doi: 10.1016/j.artd.2016.09.003. eCollection 2017 Dec.
Same Day Discharge After Total Joint Arthroplasty The Future May Be Now.
Aggarwal V, Thakkar S, Collins K, Vigdorchik J.
Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2017 Dec;75(4):252-256. Review.
The Utility of Conservative Treatment Modalities in the Management of Osteonecrosis.
Osmani F, Thakkar S, Vigdorchik J.
Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2017 May;75(3):186-192. Review.
The utility of bicruciate-retaining total knee arthroplasty.
Osmani FA, Thakkar SC, Collins K, Schwarzkopf R.
Arthroplast Today. 2016 Dec 27;3(1):61-66. doi: 10.1016/j.artd.2016.11.004. eCollection 2017 Mar.
Navigation and Robotics in Total Hip Arthroplasty.
Wasterlain AS, Buza JA 3rd, Thakkar SC, Schwarzkopf R, Vigdorchik J.
JBJS Rev. 2017 Mar 14;5(3). pii: 01874474-201703000-00005. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.RVW.16.00046. No abstract available.
Navigation and Robotics in Knee Arthroplasty.
Buza JA 3rd, Wasterlain AS, Thakkar SC, Meere P, Vigdorchik J.
JBJS Rev. 2017 Feb 28;5(2). pii: 01874474-201702000-00001. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.RVW.16.00047. No abstract available.
2D versus 3D fluoroscopy-based navigation in posterior pelvic fixation: review of the literature on current technology.
Thakkar SC, Thakkar RS, Sirisreetreerux N, Carrino JA, Shafiq B, Hasenboehler EA.
Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2017 Jan;12(1):69-76. doi: 10.1007/s11548-016-1465-5. Epub 2016 Aug 8. Review.
Calcar femorale grafting in the hemiarthroplasty of the hip for unstable inter trochanteric fractures.
Thakkar CJ, Thakkar S, Kathalgere RT, Kumar MN.
Indian J Orthop. 2015 Nov-Dec;49(6):602-9. doi: 10.4103/0019-5413.168762.
Inpatient Mortality and Morbidity for Dialysis-Dependent Patients Undergoing Primary Total Hip or Knee Arthroplasty.
Ponnusamy KE, Jain A, Thakkar SC, Sterling RS, Skolasky RL, Khanuja HS.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015 Aug 19;97(16):1326-32. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.N.01301.
Knee Extensor Mechanism Reconstruction With Complete Extensor Allograft After Failure of Patellar Tendon Repair.
Thakkar SC, Hsu N, Hasenboehler EA.
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2015 Jun;44(6):E199-203.
Can the "turn-of-the-nut" method improve cortical screw fixation?
Thakkar SC, Langdale ER, Mears SC, Belkoff SM.
J Orthop Trauma. 2014 Apr;28(4):195-9.
Visibility of surgical site marking: a prospective randomized trial of two skin preparation solutions.
Thakkar SC, Mears SC.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Jan 18;94(2):97-102. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.J.00838.
Protrusio acetabuli and total hip arthroplasty in patients with Marfan syndrome.
Thakkar SC, Foran JR, Mears SC, Sponseller PD.
J Arthroplasty. 2012 May;27(5):776-82. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2011.08.010. Epub 2011 Oct 4.
Accuracy, legibility, and content of consent forms for hip fracture repair in a teaching hospital.
Thakkar SC, Frassica FJ, Mears SC.
J Patient Saf. 2010 Sep;6(3):153-7.
Eight-year follow-up on the effect of a hip fracture service on patient care and outcome.
Thakkar SC, Sieber FE, Zakriya KJ, Mears SC.
J Surg Orthop Adv. 2010 Winter;19(4):223-8.
Case report: perioperative use of protein c concentrate for protein C deficiency in THA.
Thakkar SC, Streiff MB, Bruley DF, Mears SC.
Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 Jul;468(7):1986-90. doi: 10.1007/s11999-009-1189-8. Epub 2009 Dec 10.
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- 13950 Brandywine RoadBrandywine, MD 20613
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital