Vesna Petronic-Rosic, MD, MSc, MBA, is a board-certified dermatologist and dermatopathologist and Chair of the Department of Dermatology at the MedStar Washington Hospital Center, a department that has unique expertise in the treatments of complex medical dermatologic disorders. She is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Society of Dermatopathology, the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, the International Society of Dermatopathology, and the International Academy of Cosmetic Dermatology, where she also serves on the Board and as Treasurer.
Dr. Rosic is motivated and inspired by the emergence of new therapies in the field of dermatology for the management of rare and difficult to treat skin diseases. She is passionate about fusing her clinical expertise with her lifelong academic devotion and MBA education to build a department of dermatology that excels both clinically and educationally, as well as one that provides new services not offered yet in the region.
Dr. Rosic received her medical degree at the University of Belgrade School of Medicine, where she graduated summa cum laude. She then received a master’s degree in the field of dermatovenereology and completed her residency training in dermatovenerology at the University of Belgrade School of Medicine.
During her time practicing as a dermatologist and dermatopathologist in Serbia, Dr. Rosic gained extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of rare, life-threatening skin diseases like autoimmune bullous diseases and lymphoma. For her dedication and expertise, she was awarded the International Society of Dermatopathology Scholarship Award. This award provides a dermatologist from another country the opportunity to train for one year at the program of his/her choice in the US. Dr. Rosic chose to study as a fellow with world-renowned dermatopathologist Albert Bernard Ackerman at the Institute for Dermatopathology at Thomas Jefferson University.
Dr. Rosic stayed in the US, re-trained in both dermatology and dermatopathology, and joined University of Chicago Medicine, where she practiced dermatopathology and complex medical dermatology and conducted surgical procedures to remove benign and malignant skin tumors. Throughout her time with the University of Chicago, Dr. Rosic held various positions, including Medical Director, Fellowship Director, and Section Chief, as well as Expert Dermatologist for the Celiac Disease Center. In addition, she applied to the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and received an MBA degree.
A prolific writer, Dr. Rosic has published close to 100 original articles, reviews, case reports, book chapters, and co-authored a book with Dr. Ackerman.
Dr. Rosic has been widely recognized for her dedication and expertise in the field of dermatology and dermatopathology and has received numerous awards, including the October Award of the City of Belgrade for Distinguished Achievements in Scientific Research Work, the International Society of Dermatopathology Scholarship Award, and the Outstanding Service Award by The University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Division. She has also been recognized among the Top US Dermatologists by the Consumer Research Council of America, Castle Connolly's Top Doctors, Chicago Magazine Top Cancer Doctors, and Castle Connolly Exceptional Women in Medicine.
Philosophy of Care
“Skin disease has a big impact on an individual’s quality of life that is difficult to overcome. I recognize the magnitude of effect that skin conditions can have on my patients.
“I believe that a treatment plan is a joint effort between the patient and myself. My role is to guide my patients in achieving better health and to help them get there. In order to help patients participate and adhere to treatment, I try to make it as easy and simple as possible.
“I love what I do and I invest all of myself into providing the best care to my patients. I treat every patient as if they were my family. The foundation of my practice is empathy - I live through what the patient has with every individual that comes to me for care.
“Workplace harmony and well-being is extremely important to me. I care very much about my colleagues, staff, and trainees. Each individual at MedStar contributes to making it a good home for both caregivers and patients.”
- Fellowship Program: University of Chicago Medical Center (2004)
- Residency Program: Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (2003)
- Medical School: University of Belgrade (1989)
- Board Certification: American Board of Dermatology, Dermatopathology
- Board Certification: American Board of Dermatology, Dermatology
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Family Choice-DC Healthy Families
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (2)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- 5530 Wisconsin AvenueChevy Chase, MD 20815
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center