MedStar Union Memorial Hospital was initially chartered as the Union Protestant Infirmary (UPI) in 1854. It changed its name when it moved to its current site in 1924. Our program, which began under the leadership of J.M.T. Finney Sr., MD, is one of the oldest independent residency programs in the country. Dr. Finney graduated from Harvard Medical School, completed his general surgery residency at Massachusetts General Hospital, and then joined the full-time surgical faculty at The Johns Hopkins Hospital with William S. Halsted, MD.
Dr. Finney needed another hospital for his expanding clinical practice and began using the Union Protestant Infirmary in 1891. For the next 51 years, his ingenious surgical skills attracted patients and physicians to the infirmary that he would help transform into MedStar Union Memorial Hospital. Despite his many accomplishments, Dr. Finney remained, first and foremost, a clinical surgeon committed to providing the highest quality of patient care.