A full list of Teaching Scholar alumni accomplishments is available for download (this link opens to a PDF). The MedStar Health Teaching Scholars Program was awarded the 2011 Innovation in Medical Education Award from the Alliance of Independent Academic Medical Centers
- Donnelly MJ, Clauser JM, Weissman NJ. An Intervention to Improve Ambulatory Care Handoffs at the End of Residency. Journal of Graduate Medical Education 2012; 4(3): 381-4.September.
- Donnelly MJ, Clauser JM, Tractenberg RE. Current Practices in Handoffs at the End of Residency: A Survey of Med-Peds Program Directors. Journal of Graduate Medical Education 2013; 5(3): 93-96.
- Malekzadeh S, Hanna G, Pehlivanova M, Wilson B, Milmoe G. A model for training and evaluation of myringotomy and tube placement skills. The Laryngoscope 2011; 121:1410-15.
- Nwokorie N, Syoboda D, Rovito D, Krugman S. Effect of Focused Debriefing on Team Communication Skills. Hospital Pediatrics. 2012 [Accepted May 2012 for October 2012 issue].
- Pineda CG. The COMBINATION exercise program: ACGME core competencies being integrated with the national patient safety goals in a physical medicine and rehabilitation residency training program. PM&R, 2009 Sept; 2(9): S12.
- Walker KA, Peltier H, Mayo RL, Kearney CD. Impact of standardized palliative care order set on end-of-life care in a community teaching hospital. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2011; 14: 281-6. DOI: 10.1089/jpm.2010.0398. [Original Research]
- Walker KA, Angelo LB. Health Literacy Education in an Abilities-Based Pharmacy Course: A Proposed Model for Instructional Design. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. 2012 [Under review, original research]
- Weisman DS, Bashir L, Mehta A, Bhatia L, Levine SM, Mete M & Padmore J. A medical resident post-discharge phone call study. Hospital Practice. 2012 Apr; 40(2):138-46.
Presentations & Posters
- Michael Donnelly presented “Transforming Resident Continuity Clinic Year-End Handoffs: Risks and Opportunities” as a workshop at the Society of General Internal Medicine National Meeting, Orlando FL, May 11, 2012. This workshop was the recipient of the David E. Rogers Junior Faculty Workshop Award.
- Donnelly MJ, Clauser JM, Weissman NJ. An Intervention to Improve Ambulatory Care Handoffs at the End of Residency. 2011 AAMC Integrating Quality Meeting: Linking Clinical and Educational Excellence. Chicago, IL.
- Philip Fidler presented “Use of Video in the Surgical Trainee a Bronchoscopy Model” at the North American Burn Society
- Keith Mortman’s project “Teaching Residents Lecture Presentation Skills” was accepted for poster presentation at the International Conference on Residency Education in Ottowa, Canada Oct. 18-20, 2012.
- Pineda CG. The COMBINATION exercise program: ACGME core competencies integrated with the national patient safety goals in a physical medicine and rehabilitation residency program.
- Marvin Dunn Poster Presentation at ACGME, 2010
- AAPM&R Annual Assembly, 2010
- AAMC Annual Meeting, 2009
- Walker KA, Padmore J. Responsible Opiod Prescribing for Medical Residents. 2011 AAMC Integrating Quality Meeting: Linking Clinical and Educational Excellence. Chicago, IL.
- Weisman DS, Bashir L, Mehta A, Bhatia L, Levine SM, Mete M & Padmore J. A medical resident post-discharge phone call study. 2011 AAMC Integrating Quality Meeting: Linking Clinical and Educational Excellence. Chicago, IL.
- Richard Williams presented “Improving the Transition of Care from Hospitalist to Primary Care Physicians” at the ACP and APDIM (2012)
Grants & Funding
- Sandra Allison and Mike Donnelly were awarded a CIRCLE* Grant (2011) for “A Pilot Ultrasound Curriculum for Medical Students”
- Tamika Auguste was awarded a $700,000.00 grant from the AHRQ for simulation research in Ob/Gyn
- Harsha Bhagtani was awarded a Target Grant from Franklin Square (2011) for the “Reach out and Read” program
- Mary Furlong, Sonya Malekzadeh, Jamie Padmore & Peg Weissinger were awarded a CIRCLE Grant (2010) for “Medical Education Research: A Mini-Course for Medical Students”.
- Namirah Jamshed received a Chief Resident Immersion Training (CRIT) Grant for Chief Resident Leadership Training in Geriatrics; also a Washington DC Geriatric Education Consortium (HRSA grant).
- Sonya Malekzadeh was awarded a MedStar GIFL grant (2011) for “Can a low-cost task trainer improve sinus surgery operative skill and patient outcomes? An objectives structured assessment of technical skills (OSATS) using a novella sinus surgery task trainer”.
- Maria Marquez was awarded a CIRCLE Grant (2011) to develop a program on patient safety in pediatrics.
- Cindy Pineda was awarded a CIRCLE Grant (2012) for “Use of Virtual Patient Simulation in Pressure Ulcer and Patient Safety Education: An Evidence and Problem-Based Experience for Medical Students”.
*CIRCLE Grants are Curricular Innovation Research and Creativity in the Learning Environment, sponsored by Georgetown University School of Medicine.
New Roles / Positions
- Tamika Auguste was appointed the Vice Chair of the DC Section of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology Laxman Bahroo was appointed Associate Program Director for the neurology residency program at Georgetown
- Rahul Bhat was appointed Associate Program Director for the WHC/GUH ED residency program
- Chris Collins was appointed Program Director for the Rheumatology residency program at WHC
- Stephanie Detterline
o Appointed Associate Program Director for the Internal Medicine residency at Union Memorial Hospital
o Appointed Governor’s Council Member, Maryland Chapter of the American College of Physicians (ACP) Michael Donnelly was appointed Vice Chair of the Department of Medicine at Georgetown Philip Fidler
o GMEC member at WHC and GUH
o Promoted to Associate Professor (Clinician Educator) at Georgetown Mary Furlong
o Promoted to Professor on the Medical Education track
o Reviewer for Medical Science Educator (IAMSE journal) Namirah Jamshed
o Serving on the MedStar Health IRB
o Faculty Master Faculty Program in Gerontology (WAGECC)
o Reviewer for Oakstone Publishing (JHU) for Geriatric specialty Sonya Malekzadeh
o Appointed Assistant Chief of Surgery at the Washington, DC- VA Medical Center
o Promoted to Professor of Otolaryngology
o Serves on the Board of Directors, and is the Chair of Education for the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Maria Marquez was Promoted to Associate Professor of Pediatrics Ndidi Nwokorie is the Director of Education and Orientation for the Pediatric Department at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center.
- Cindy Pineda was appointed Director of Graduate Medical Education & Chair of the Continuing Medical Education at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center Michael Reilly was appointed Resident Research Advisor and Research Curriculum Coordinator for the Otolaryngology Department at Georgetown
- Netra Thakur was appointed Associate Program Director for the Family Medicine residency program at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center Kat Walker is a referee for professional/scientific journals: American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Home Health Care Management and Practice.
- David Weisman was elected Vice-President of the Good Samaritan Medical Staff, and will be President in 2013.
- Curtis Whitehair
o AAPM&R MEC Sub-committee chair for procuring a new Learning Management System
o Is a course director for a new course being offered through the Harvard-Macy Institute in 2013, “Become a permanent digital citizen – Technology for lifelong learning and health education” Richard Williams
o Promoted to Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland
o Co-Director of the ACP Associates Annual Maryland meeting
o ACP Faculty representative to chief residents association of Baltimore and ACP student section
Accomplishments & Awards
- Kirsten Alcorn will be faculty for the Mind-Body courses at Georgetown
- Sandra Allison was awarded Teacher of the Year (2011-12) in radiology at Georgetown
- Harsha Bhagtani was awarded the Family Medicine Pediatric Teaching Award at Franklin Square in 2010 and 2011
- Rahul Bhat was awarded Teacher of the Year 2011 and Mentor of the Year 2012
- Stephanie Detterline was awarded a Golden Apple in 2011 by the UMH Internal Medicine residency program
- Michael Donnelly was awarded a Golden Apple in 2012 by Georgetown University medical students
- Mary Furlong, Sonya Malekzadeh, Peg Weissinger and Jamie Padmore are co-directors of the Georgetown SoM Medical Education Research Seminar for the Medical Education Research Track
- Sonya Malekzadeh developed the ORL Boot Camp for Emergencies (junior residents) and Rising Chiefs
- Maria Marquez is mentoring Georgetown medical students for their mandatory independent study projects.
- Rene Mayo was awarded an honorable mention in the Circle of Honor for Patient Safety Innovation awarded to UMH palliative medicine team for ICU integration project. Maryland Patient Safety Center (2011, state)
- Eileen Moore is leading the AIAMC National Initiative team for Georgetown SoM to develop a comprehensive curriculum in quality and safety
- Kat Walker and Rene Mayo were awarded the SiTEL Inspiration Award in 2011
- Kat Walker was awarded the Innovative Practice Award (2011) Maryland Pharmacists Association
- Marian Wulf-Gutierrez is on the Faculty Development Committee at Georgetown SoM