MedStar's research expertise in the field of infectious disease includes
- Medical mycology
- Invasive fungal infections in adults
- Helicobacter pylori
- Infection and inflammation in atherosclerosis
- Chlamydia pneumoniae
- Prevention of healthcare-acquired infections (HAI)
- Infection prevention through innovative materials and technologies
- Evaluation and prevention of outbreaks, epidemics and pandemics
MedStar Health participates in numerous investigator-initiated research programs and clinical trials each year. MedStar's clinical specialists - with whom our researchers collaborate - provide more than 4,500 new infectious disease patient consults and roughly 1,000 outpatient consults each year. To view a sample of active clinical trials that are open for recruitment, please visit this link.
Our infectious disease researchers include medical doctors, registered nurses, epidemiologists, and biologists who specialize in the understanding of severe and unusual cases of infectious disease and have access to basic science, clinical research, microbiology, bacteriology and parasitology laboratories. In addition to clinical and basic science research, MedStar's healthcare building sciences program focuses on methods and architectural approaches to the prevention of HAIs in the built environment.