Information by Organization
- MedStar Ambulatory Services
- MedStar Health Urgent Care
- MedStar Multispecialty Care Center
- MedStar Physician Network
- MedStar Family Choice
- MedStar Visiting Nurse Association
- Graduate Medical Education
- MedStar Health Research Institute
- MedStar Institute for Innovation
MedStar Ambulatory Services is the rapidly growing outpatient services division of MedStar Health, focused on making quality health care available throughout the region, close to where people live, work, and shop. By bringing medical services and programs to communities, as well as establishing new care sites in non-traditional medical settings, MedStar Health demonstrates its commitment to being a Distributed Care Delivery Network. MedStar Ambulatory Services brings urgent care centers and multispecialty care centers where services are needed. By creating better access to expert providers, we make it convenient for the patient to get the appropriate level of care, when they need it. MedStar will continue to evaluate where services are needed and develop innovative ways to bring quality, convenient health care to the community.
MedStar Health Urgent Care provides walk-in urgent care, with extended hour access to medical care for acute illness and injury. These centers can provide care that is beyond the scope or availability of the typical primary care practice or retail clinic. MedStar Health Urgent Care associates will communicate with the patient’s primary care physician, while helping them get the care they need, when they need it.
- Adams Morgan, Washington, D.C.
- Alexandria, Virginia
- Belcamp, Maryland
- Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
- Chevy Chase, Maryland
- Federal Hill, Maryland
- Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Perry Hall, Maryland
- Towson, Maryland
- Wheaton, Maryland
The unique MedStar Health multispecialty centers bring primary and specialty medical care to community locations, where consumers can access a comprehensive scope of services consisting of wellness care, diagnostic services, and treatments.
- MedStar Health at Bel Air, Maryland
- MedStar Health at Chevy Chase, Maryland
- MedStar Health at Federal Hill, Baltimore
- MedStar Health at Lafayette Centre
- MedStar Health at Leisure World Boulevard, Silver Spring, Maryland
- MedStar Health at Mitchellville, Maryland
MedStar Health’s network of 1,607 employed physicians is accessible across the region in a variety of settings. In addition to the many specialty physicians working inside the 10 MedStar hospitals, there are numerous practitioners specializing in primary care and specialty care located in 103 community-based offices throughout the region. These community-based offices allow patients to conveniently access care they need close to home or work. Several of the newer community-based sites are larger, multispecialty centers that bring together a variety of diagnostic and treatment services within a single location to allow patients to receive all their needed services in one location.
MedStar Family Choice
MedStar Family Choice is a top-rated Medicaid HMO in the state of Maryland, based on a performance report from HealthChoice, Maryland’s managed care program. The Maryland plan is also ranked #26 nationally among Medicaid HMOs by the National Committee on Quality Assurance for service and clinical quality. It also received a perfect rating by the Delmarva Foundation in its annual review of quality processes and procedures. These quality rankings reflect the high quality of care and service MedStar Family Choice delivers to its members. MedStar Family Choice became available to residents of the District of Columbia in October 2012.
As of Sept. 30, 2013, MedStar Family Choice had approximately 71,000 enrollees, with 37,000 based in Maryland and 34,000 based in the District of Columbia. Growth is expected to continue as Medicaid enrollment expands with implementation of the Affordable Care Act and MedStar Family Choice continues its service area expansion.
MedStar Visiting Nurse Association
MedStar Visiting Nurse Association (VNA), the largest in-home healthcare provider in the region, provides skilled nursing, rehabilitation, care coordination, private duty personal care, and infusion therapy for homebound, disabled and chronically ill patients. The non-profit company’s clinical professionals care for more than 17,000 patients annually, making more than 220,000 visits to ensure patients heal safely in their homes and avoid emergent care or hospitalization. With 650 associates, MedStar VNA reaches patients throughout Maryland, the District of Columbia and northern Virginia. To support good health in the community, MedStar VNA also offers patient-centered medical home and wellness services, including on-site vaccinations and health screenings.
MedStar Health has a large graduate medical education (GME) program that is ranked 11th in the nation based on number of residents trained per year: 1,074. MedStar has a major academic affiliation with Georgetown University.
- MedStar GME by the numbers (Fiscal Year 2013)
- 1,074 residents and fellows
- 79 accredited programs
- 17 non-accredited fellowships in emerging specialties and research
- 15 programs are joint/integrated between MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- 7 MedStar hospitals are accredited sponsors
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
MedStar Health Research Institute
MedStar Health Research Institute (MHRI) is the research arm of MedStar Health. It provides scientific, administrative and regulatory support for research that complements MedStar’s clinical services and teaching programs. MHRI conducts clinical, healthcare delivery and outcomes research in hospital and ambulatory settings. Its expertise includes translating research into disease prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
MedStar Institute for Innovation
The MedStar Institute for Innovation was charted in 2009, recognizing that to achieve greatness in a changing and challenging healthcare environment, MedStar must innovate, and that a vast amount of untapped intellectual capital exists among our 30,000 associates and 6,000 physicians. The Institute for Innovation includes:
- National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare—the largest group of human factors experts within a healthcare system in the United States.
- Simulation Training and Education Lab (SiTEL)—with two centers in Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
- MedStar Inventor Services—part of the Innovation Alliance with the Cleveland Clinic that advances associates’ ideas into commercial products and services, focused on improving patient care.