MedStar Health Surgical Oncology – Washington, D.C. Region
Comprehensive Care to Treat Complex Forms of Cancer
MedStar’s Surgical Oncology program brings together board-certified specialists from MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center to provide the most comprehensive care for the most complex forms of cancer. Our surgical oncology team offers a full range of consultative, diagnostic, and surgical treatments that are best suited to your individual needs.
Watch the video below to hear Meeghan's story of her battle with a rare GI cancer called GIST.
Conditions We Treat
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Benign and malignant:
- Biliary tree tumors
- Gastric lesions
- Liver masses and tumors
- Pancreatic cancers and tumors
- Small bowel tumors
- Gastrointestinal and peritoneal surface malignancies
- Benign and malignant:
- Melanoma and cutaneous cancers
- Soft tissue sarcoma
Procedures We Perform
Our extensive list of advanced options includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Bile resection and repair
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Mesothelioma Cytoreductive Surgery
- Minimally invasive cancer surgery
- Melanoma surgery
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Lymph node dissection
Why Choose Us?
- Multidisciplinary team approach —we partner with other subject matter experts across the health system like medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, and radiologists to leverage our collective knowledge. Together, we develop a personalized treatment plan to provide the best possible outcome for your cancer.
- Specialized cancer expertise—our clinicians, many of whom are nationally recognized—deliver targeted, innovative treatment options. Our physicians are not just reading about new protocols; they are leading, designing, and writing them.
- Unmatched patient-centered care—our cancer centers provide comprehensive support through your journey, including social workers, nutritionists, arts and humanities program, survivorship, and palliative care services. We also committed to provide prompt and quality care.
- High volume cancer surgery — our team performs large numbers of cancer procedures, which are often linked to better surgical outcomes. We are dedicated to track our quality and outcomes metrics.
- Access to clinical trials – our surgical oncologists participate in cutting-edge clinical trials, and they have helped to develop some of the most advanced procedures used today. Through our partnership with the Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, the only NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center in Washington, D.C., we provide access to tomorrow’s treatment options today.
- Surgical outcomes research —our MedStar-Georgetown Surgical Outcomes Research Center is dedicated to investigating ways to improve access to quality surgical cancer care and identify mechanisms to cancer surgery outcomes in collaboration with scientists at MedStar Health Research Institute and Georgetown University.