It is difficult to collect a kidney stone from patients who are on a Foley catheter. Although there are filter funnels available, frequently the filter funnels are not stocked and readily accessible locally when needed. There is no easy way to filter out any passed stone from a Foley catheter collection bag if the filter funnel is not accessible from the equipment room.
Covering the opening of the plastic urinal with gauze and securing it with a rubber band around the lid, allows the urine to be poured through the gauze, into the toilet while straining any stones to be left in the container.
NOTE: Prior to using this MInnovation, MedStar Associates should attempt to use a urine filter funnel from the equipment room and if not available, contact supply chain to restock this item. The DeArroz Kidney Stone Filter can be used in place of the filter funnel if the filter funnel supply is depleted and is not going to be restocked in a reasonable amount of time.
- Gauze large enough to be folded a few times and still cover the mouth and down the sides a few inches of the urinal
- Rubber band
- Don gloves. Pour urine from the Foley catheter bag into the plastic container.
- Place gauze on open top of plastic container such that it hangs down a few inches from the top of the container.
- Place rubberband around the gauze as shown in the photo above.
- Slowly pour urine into the toilet.
- Kidney stones if present should remain in the container strained by the gauze.