MedStar Health is committed to providing you easily accessible information to make informed decisions about your health care and about the physicians and other providers who walk the care journey with you. As part of that commitment, we use a standardized survey to measure our patients’ experiences. MedStar Health surveys patients about their experiences in doctors’ offices. This survey is administered on behalf of MedStar Health by Press Ganey. Surveys are sent randomly by mail, e-mail, and text message to patients following their appointments.
We use this information to improve our service for you. These patient surveys offer our patients an opportunity to rate their experiences and share comments, which are then displayed anonymously on our physician profile pages. This allows you to review relevant feedback before selecting a provider. A physician’s rating will be posted on the site when he/she has a minimum of 30 completed surveys, as industry best practice makes clear that more data provide a more accurate picture.
Provider ratings are based on responses to the following questions from the Press Ganey Medical Practice survey:
Physician Communication Questions
- Concern the care provider showed for your questions or worries
- Explanations the care provider gave you about your problem or condition
- Care provider’s efforts to include you in decisions about your care
- Care provider’s discussion of any proposed treatment (options, risks, benefits, etc.)
- Extent to which the care provider listened to you
- Likelihood of your recommending this care provider to others
Overall Rating Question
- Using any number from 0 to 10, where 0 is the worst provider possible and 10 is the best provider possible, what number would you use to rate this provider?