Director of Behavior Science and Community Medicine
Claudia Harding has been working in the field of mental health
for over 15 years, with a concentrated focus on systems theory
and the impact on health and behavior. Ms. Harding has been in
private practice for seven years and has also worked extensively
with community health centers as a medical social worker, mental
health provider, and as a staff trainer and educator.
joined the faculty at MedStar Franklin Square in October 2009 and
had developed a curriculum which includes health behavior change,
mental health assessment and treatment planning, chronic pain
management, and resident development. In the 2012 - 2013 residency
year, Ms. Harding implemented a home-visit program to reduce
hospitalizations and a behavior health clinic to manage the
mental health needs of Family Health
Center pediatric and adult patients and to provide an
experiential learning experience for our residents.
Ms. Harding oversees the community medicine curriculum which
exposes residents to various community resources and connects
them with opportunities to provide medical and advocacy services.
- Anxiety Disorder Assessment and Treatment in Primary Care" Maryland Academy of Family Physicians 2013 Annual CME Association, Ocean City, June 2013
- Chronic Non-Cancer Pain: Training the Trainers, Emily Richie, MD, Claudia Harding, LCSW-C, Jessica Stinnette, MD, STFM Annual Spring Conference, May 2013
- MedStar Health Teaching Scholars Capstone Presenter: "The Power of the Home Visit: Reducing Hospital Readmission Rates in Geriatric Patients and Improving Resident Education" January 2013
- Harding, C. MSW, BCD and Shikha Deva, M.D “Integrating Mental Health into Primary Care: A Resident Run Behavior Health Clinic.” FMEC Northeast Regional Conference. Cleveland, Ohio. Sept 2012
- "Ombudsmen: Residency Collaboration with Baltimore County Department of Aging" FMEC Northeast Regional Conference, October 2011
- "Managing Depression - A guide for Individuals and Families" .US Army Test and Evaluation Command Health Fair, November 2011
- MedStar Health Research Institute Institutional Review Board, July 2012-June 2013.
- University of Maryland School of Social Work Field Instructor 2009 –Present
- Society of Teachers in Family Medicine 2009 - Present.
- Family Medicine Education Consortium 2009 –Present
- National Association of Social Workers 2005 – Present
Awards & Honors
- AAMC Medical Education Research Certificate 2013
- Faculty Excellence Award, Med Star Franklin Square Family Medicine Residency 2012
- American Board of Social Work Examiners - Board Certified Diplomat 2011
- Social Work Community Outreach Service Award, University of Maryland 2001