Director of Behavior Science and Community Medicine
Claudia Harding has been working in the field of mental health
for over 15 years, with a concentrated focus on systems theory
and the impact on health and behavior. Ms. Harding has been in
private practice for seven years and has also worked extensively
with community health centers as a medical social worker, mental
health provider, and as a staff trainer and educator. Ms. Harding
joined the faculty at MedStar Franklin Square in October 2009 and
had developed a curriculum which includes health behavior change,
mental health assessment and treatment planning, chronic pain
management, and resident development. In the 2012/2013 residency
year Ms. Harding implemented a home-visit program to reduce
hospitalizations and a behavior health clinic to manage the
mental health needs of Family Health
Center pediatric and adult patients and provide an
experiential learning experience for our residents. Additionally,
Ms. Harding oversees the community medicine curriculum which
exposes residents to various community resources and connects
them with opportunities to provide medical and advocacy services.
- "Anxiety Disorder Assessment and Treatment in Primary Care"
Maryland Academy of Family Physicians 2013 Annual CME
Association, Ocean City, June 2013.
- MedStar Health Teaching Scholars Capstone Presenter: "The
Power of the Home Visit: Reducing Hospital Readmission Rates in
Geriatric Patients and Improving Resident Education" January
- Integrating Mental Health into the PCMH: "A Resident Run
Behavior Health Clinic" Northeast Regional Conference, September
- "Ombudsmen: Residency Collaboration with Baltimore County
Department of Aging". FMEC Northeast Regional Conference.
- "Managing Depression - A guide for Individuals and Families".
US Army Test and Evaluation Command Health Fair. November 2011.
- University of Maryland School of Social Work Field Instructor
- Society of Teachers in Family Medicine 2009 - Present.
- Family Medicine Education Consortium 2009 -Present
- National Association of Social Workers 2005 - Present
Awards & Honors
- AAMC Medical Education Research Certificate 2013
- Faculty Excellence Award, Med Star Franklin Square Family
Medicine Residency 2012
- American Board of Social Work Examiners - Board Certified
- Social Work Community Outreach Service Award, University of