Director of Chronic Disease Programs
Dr. Richie is especially interested in teaching students, Family
Medicine residents, and patients about the management of kidney
disease, diabetes, chronic pain, HIV infection, Hepatitis C,
Hepatitis B, hypogonadism, and travel medicine, in addition to
enjoying the breadth of Family Medicine. She has experience with
medical research from her years working as a US Naval officer at
NAMRU-2 in Jakarta.
She has worked in the inner city as well as in various community
practice settings including Boston, Philadelphia, and Baltimore.
Specialties: Family Medicine, HIV Medicine
Undergraduate: Princeton University
Medical School: University of Pennsylvania
School of Medicine
Residency: Thomas Jefferson University Hospital,
- Family medicine practice in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and
- Faculty, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, MedStar
Franklin Square Family Medicine.
- Research on enteric diseases, cholera vaccine, and DPT-Hib
vaccines in Indonesia.
- Six years of military experience as Commander in the US Navy.
- Management of patients with HIV and Hepatitis C in Baltimore
Spanish, French, Indonesian
- Richie, E MD: HIV Elective in a Community Family Medicine Residency. STFM Conference, Baltimore, MD, May 2013
- Richie, E MD; Harding C MSW, BCD; Stinnette, J MD: Chronic Non-cancer Pain: Training the Trainers. STFM Conference, Baltimore, MD, May 2013
- Richie, Emily; Punjabi, Narain; Sidharta, Yuwono; et.al.
2000. Efficacy trial of single-dose live oral cholera vaccine CVD
103-HgR in North Jakarta, Indonesia, a cholera-endemic area.
Vaccine 18(2000): 2399-2410.
- Richie, Emily. 1980. Neurogenic bladder dysfunction. Family
Practice Recertification 2(9): 15-28.
- Richie, Emily. 1980. Reye's Syndrome. Family Practice
Recertification 2(10): 43-51.
- Richie, Emily L, and Barth, George A. 1981. Pediatric
Dentistry and the Family Physician. Family Practice
Recertification 3(2): 21-38.
- Richie, Emily. 1981. Over-the-counter drugs: Part 1,
preparations for coughs, colds, and allergies. Family Practice
Recertification 3(8): 48-60.
- Richie, Emily. 1981. Over-the-counter drugs: Part 2,
analgesics and products for asthma. Family Practice
- Richie, Emily. 1985. Dysmenorrhea, pathophysiology and
treatment. Family Practice Recertification 7(3): 71-93.
- Richie, Emily. 1991. Preschool Vision Screening. Family
Practice Recertification 13(11): (10 pages).
- Richie EL, Punjabi NH, Corwin A, Lesmana M, Rogayah I, LeBron
C, Echeverria P, Simanjuntak CH. Enterotoxigenic E. coli diarrhea
among young children in Jakarta, Indonesia. Am. J Trop Med Hyg,
57(1), 1997, pp 85-90.
- Richie EL, Punjabi NH, Harjanto SJ, Wangsasaputra F, Sukandar
M, Supriatman M, Simanjuntak CH, Cryz SJ. Safety and
immunogenicity of combined diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (whole
cell and acellular)-Haemophilus influenzae-b conjugate vaccines
administered to Indonesian children. Vaccine 17(1999): 1384-1393.
- Oyofo BA, Soderquist R, Lesmana M, Subekti D, Tjaniadi P,
Fryauff DJ, Corwin AL, Richie EL, LeBron C. 1999. Norwalk-like
virus and bacterial pathogens associated with cases of
gastroenteritis onboard a US Navy ship. Am J Trop Med Hyg
- Punjabi NH, Richie EL, et. al. Immunogenicity and safety of
four different doses of Hemophilus influenzae type b - tetanus
toxoid conjugate vaccine, combined with diphtheria tetanus
pertussis vaccine in Indonesian infants. Vaccine 24: 1776-1785,
10 March 2006.
- Hepatitis C: review and update. Presentation to the annual
meeting of the Maryland Academy of Family Physicians, February
- Baltimore's Best Health Care Provider, City Magazine, 2006
- Teaching award, MedStar Franklin Square Family Medicine,
2009, 2010 and 2011
- Faculty Excellence Award, MedStar Franklin Square Family
Medicine residency, 2010
- Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, MedStar
- Certification, American Academy of HIV Medicine, 2002-