Director of Musculoskeletal Programs
Following residency training, Dr. Niehoff opened a Family
Medicine office in Dundalk, MD. This practice was well received
by the community and covered a full range of outpatient and
inpatient services. His interest in sports medicine also started
at this time, and he became the team physician for Dundalk High
School, a position he held for 15 years. He now supervises the
Sports Medicine and Musculoskeletal Clinic in the Family Health
Center. Dr. Niehoff also earned a Certificate of Added
Qualification in Sports Medicine and completed a fellowship in
Primary Care Faculty Development at Michigan State University. He
has been a full-time faculty member in the Family Medicine
Residency since 1987. He is interested in teaching the whole
range of Family Medicine and, in particular, office procedures
and musculoskeletal medicine. Dr. Niehoff also holds leadership
positions with the Baltimore County Medical Association and
MedChi, the Maryland state medical society.
Undergraduate: Georgetown University
Medical School: Pennsylvania State Hershey-
College of Medicine
Residency: MedStar Franklin Square Medical
Fellowship: Primary Care Faculty Development,
Michigan State University
Additional Certification: Certificate of Added
Qualification in Sports Medicine
- Niehoff JM, Ryan Kelly. Improving The Musculoskeletal Exam:
The Knee and Shoulder Checklist. Society of Teachers in Family
Medicine Annual Meeting, May 2013.
- Invited Content Expert for the 2011 American Board of Family
Medicine Standard Setting Study
- Winter J, Lilly K, Niehoff JM. A Case of Persistent
Postconcussive Tinnitus. Poster session presented at the Annual
Meeting of the American Medical Society of Sports Medicine,
- Niehoff JM, Kielek J. Exertional Heat Illness. Presented at
the MedStar SportsHealth Symposium, M&T Bank Stadium,
- Niehoff JM. The Geriatric Athlete. Presented at the MedStar
SportsHealth Symposium, M&T Bank Stadium, November, 2006.
- Niehoff JM. Selected Sports Medicine Emergencies. Presented
at the Maryland Academy of Family Physicians Winter Conference,
- Tewes LB, Niehoff JM. An unusual cause of shoulder pain.
Patient Care (on-line version), 2004.
- Niehoff JM. Workshop: Radiosurgery and Electrosurgery in the
Primary Care Office. Presented at the Maryland Academy of Family
Practice Annual Scientific Meeting, June, 2000.
- Niehoff JM. Workshop: Radiosurgery . Presented at the
Procedures in Primary Care Conference, MedStar Physician
Partners, Baltimore, Maryland, October, 2000 and November, 2001.
- Niehoff JM. Casting Techniques In: Rakel RE Manual of Medical
Practice, Philadelphia, PA, WB Saunders, 2nd Edition, 2000;
- Niehoff JM. The Pre-Season Sports Exam. Presented at the
Maryland Academy of Family Physicians Annual Scientific Meeting,
- Niehoff JM. Casting Techniques. In: Rakel RE. Manual of
Medical Practice. Philadelphia, PA; WB Saunders, 1995: 835-837.
- Niehoff JM, Daugherty J, Fink M. Predictors of Ankle Injuries
in High School Basketball Players. Presented at the Primary Care
Research Conference, East Lansing, Michigan, June, 1992. Also
presented as a scientific poster at the AAFP Annual Scientific
Meeting, San Diego, CA, October, 1992.
- Blumenthal M, Niehoff JM. Workshop: Clinical Decision Making
and Clinical Preventive Medicine. Presented at the Society of
Teachers of Family Medicine Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA,
- Niehoff JM. Steroid Awareness Program. Presented at Baltimore
County Public High Schools, September-October, 1990.
- Niehoff JM, Baltatzis PA. Adult respiratory distress syndrome
induced by salicylate toxicity. Postgraduate Medicine 1985; 78:
- Baltimore County Medical Association, President, Board of
- Med-Chi, House of Delegates
- Maryland Academy of Family Physicians
- American Academy of Family Physicians, Fellowship 1986
- American Medical Society of Sports Medicine
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Team Physician, Community College of Baltimore County (Essex
& Dundalk), 2003-Present
- Reviewer, Annals of Family Medicine
- Rising Star of Maryland Medicine, Honorable Mention in
Educator Category, Maryland State Medical Society, 1999.
- Physician's Distinguished Service Award, Baltimore County
Medical Association, 1998.