MedStar Health Consumer Website

A A A Bookmark and Share

 
A Brief History of the Family Medicine Residency at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center


2010

Franklin Square is transformed with the addition of a $175 million, seven-story, 356,000 square foot Patient Care Tower. The Residency in Family Medicine at Franklin Square has now graduated 248 residents. Over the years, the institution has supported fourth-year positions for fellowship training in geriatrics, obstetrics and ethics, as well as faculty development through longitudinal programs such as OMERAD at Michigan State and the University of North Carolina's Faculty Development Fellowship. We have represented, and continue to represent, the program and the hospital through presentations at Solutions, Nationals, STFM, AFMRD, NE-STFM, AAFP, MAFP, AAFP International Family Medicine Development workshop and many other regional and national meetings.

2008

Health Care for the Homeless - Baltimore County (HCH-BC) opens and begins serving our community; just a year later, the staff of HCH-BC win the Healthcare Heroes Award in the Community Outreach Category. Our community involvement also includes serving in leadership positions within the MAFP and the FMEC and our State and County Medical Societies, serving on the ABFM Board for In-Service training and writing board exam questions, Baltimore County Health Department Perinatal Advisory Group, MedStar's Best Practice Committee, the National Hispanic Medical Association, working with the women's cancer prevention program, working as team doctor for two area community colleges, and working to develop and collaborate in Family Medicine in both Argentina and Eritrea.

2007

We implemented an electronic health record. The Family Health Center averages over 30,000 patient visits each year. We have affiliations with the University of Maryland, Johns Hopkins University and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine for regular rotations in family medicine for their students. Our scholarly activity gains momentum with the support of MedStar Health Research Institute, the Capitol Area Primary Care Research Network, and the Family Medicine Education Consortium (FMEC). We are awarded a grant to fund opening a Healthcare for the Homeless - Baltimore County (HCH - BC) site on our campus.

2000

David Zajano, MD, who joined the program as a first-year resident in 1973, becomes Chairman, and Sallie Rixey, MD, MEd becomes Residency Director. The faculty grows to thirteen members.

1998

MedStar Health is established, bringing together Franklin Square, MedStar Union Memorial and MedStar Good Samaritan hospitals in Baltimore with MedStar Washington Hospital Center and the MedStar National Rehabilitation Network in Washington, DC. Subsequently, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital joins the system.

1989

William Hakkarinen, MD assumes the positions of Chairman, Residency Director, and Medical Director through 2000. The FHC deregulates to support our growth in the era of managed care.

1972

William Reichel, MD establishes the Department of Family Medicine and opens the Family Health Center. He serves as Chairman of the new Department and Director of the Residency through 1988. During his tenure at Franklin Square, Dr. Reichel works to enhance training in Family Medicine and Geriatrics in Spain, Japan, China, and Russia. The Residency grows in size from the one initial resident in 1972 to its full complement of eight per class by 1978.

1969

The specialty American Boards approves Family Practice as a new specialty and Franklin Square moves to a new 305-bed hospital in Baltimore County.

1966

Thomas Crawford, MD begins as the director of medical education with residency programs in Surgery, Internal Medicine and Ob/Gyn.

1910

The Flexner Report begins to address standards in Medical Education, and in 1914 intern and resident physicians begin to come to Franklin Square to complete their training.

1898

Franklin Square is founded by eight physicians as the National Temperance Hospital of Baltimore City, with 20 beds. It is the first hospital in West Baltimore. The hospital changes its name to Franklin Square in 1901.

Learn more about MedStar Franklin Square's history