Residents are involved in varying facets of clinical research
from retrospective chart review to database analysis. We submit
to and present at the American College of Surgeons Clinical
Congress. Although there is no dedicated year to do lab research,
residents are involved in several research projects with
assistance from faculty members. Examples of publications by
residents are listed below:
- Slater J, Burgoyne GB, Abdullah M, Gashti SM. (2013, October) Primary Tangential Excision of Aneurysmal Arteriovenous Fistulae to Preserve Hemodialysis Access. (American College of Surgeons – Washington D.C.) – Poster
- Burgoyne GB, Bressner J, Heitmiller RF. (2013, October) Zenker's Diverticuli – A Ten Year Analysis. (American College of Surgeons – Washington D.C.) – Poster
- Al-Bahri S, Burgoyne GB, Kainth A, Gupta V. (2013, October) Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma in the Elderly. (American College of Surgeons – Washington D.C.) – Poster
- Muresan C, Brownstein GM, Shureih SF. Abdominoplasty Derived Dermal-Fat Graft Augmentation Gluteoplasty. Aesthetic Surg J. 2013 July - Submitted
- Burgoyne GB, Heitmiller RF. (2013, May) Gallstone Ileus – Impact of Cholecystectomy during the Initial Hospital Visit. (Digestive Diseases Week – Orlando, FL) - Poster
- Burgoyne GB, Heitmiller RF. (2013, April) Clostridium Difficile Associated Colitis: A 10 year analysis of trends and characteristics. (SAGES Annual Meeting - Baltimore, MD) - Poster
- Al-Bahri S, Burgoyne GB, Gupta V. (2013, February) Operative Management of a Giant Lipoma of the Upper Back. (Southeastern Surgical Congress Annual Meeting - Jacksonville, FL) - Poster
- Burgoyne GB, Heitmiller RF, Zapas JL. (2013, February) Increasing Costs of Surgical Care: An Analysis of the Treatment of Gallstone Ileus over the last decade. (Southeastern Surgical Congress Annual Meeting - Jacksonville, FL) - Poster
- Burgoyne GB, Heitmiller RF. (2013, February) Clostridium Difficile Associated Colitis: A 10 year analysis of trends and characteristics. (Baltimore Academy of Surgeons – Winner of Resident Research Competition)
Cholecystenteric fistula: the spectrum of disease and
treatment modalities. Casasanta M, Mello M, Aghazarian
S, Zapas J. Am Surg. 2012 May;78(5):E267-9
Chief Resident Clinic: A Model of Continuity of
Care. Belyansky I, Burgoyne G, Heitmiller RF. Poster
Presentation at ACS Clinical Congress, Washington DC, 2010
Resection of apical lung tumors in high-risk patients
using partial sternotomy. Heitmiller RF, Radecke JM,
You CJ. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008 Feb;85(2):678-80.
A reappraisal of the free groin flap in aesthetic
craniofacial reconstruction. Muresan C, Dorafshar AH,
Rodriguez ED. Ann Plast Surg. 2012 Feb;68(2):175-9.
Forehead reconstruction with microvascular flaps:
utility of aesthetic subunits. Muresan C, Hui-Chou HG,
Dorafshar AH, Manson PN, Rodriguez ED. J Reconstr Microsurg.
2012 Jun;28(5):319-26. 2012 Apr 20.
Surgical relief work in Haiti: a practical resident
learning experience. Belyansky I, Williams KB, Gashti
M, Heitmiller RF. J Surg Educ. 2011 May-Jun;68(3):213-7. 2011
Percutaneous Removal of an IVC Filter from the Right
Atrium. Heiraty P, Casasanta M, Gashti M, Wang J.
Endovascular Today, August 2011
A look at Proximal Subclavian Artery Occlusive
Disease. Duson S, Gashti M. EndoVascular Today, June