MedStar Health Research Institute (MHRI) is the research arm of MedStar Health. It provides scientific, administrative and regulatory support for research programs conducted in MedStar Health's hospital and ambulatory settings. From basic science and investigator-initiated research programs, to Phase I-IV clinical trials, MHRI plans and conducts studies that advance medical knowledge and translate research into improved patient care.
Our investigators and research staff take part in pre-clinical investigation, investigator-initiated studies, early phase I/II clinical trials and large phase III multi-center trials. They also test the clinical application of new advances in clinical practice in a variety of research areas, including oncology, sports medicine, cardiology, infectious diseases, endocrinology, and health services. Learn more about our areas of research
Services for Investigators
MedStar Health Research Institute offers its investigators administrative and regulatory support for the research they conduct throughout MedStar Health, including biostatistics and bioinformatics, core services and research pharmacy. The Office of Research Integrity (ORI) oversees research standards and the Institutional Review Board (IRB) assures the ethical protection of the rights and welfare of research subjects throughout the MedStar Health system. A contracts and grants office is available to help facilitate proposal submissions. Learn more about our services
We offer numerous in-person and online educational opportunities, including:
- Investigator Orientation - a one-day session that orients both experienced and early-career investigators to successfully conducting research within the MedStar system as well as accessing the research support services available from the Research Institute.
- Introduction to the Principles and Practices of Clinical Research - an online National Institutes of Health (NIH)-sponsored program that provides web-based training over a four-month period on the fundamental aspects of clinical research.
- Research Grand Rounds - co-hosted with the Georgetown-Howard Universities Center for Clinical and Translational Science (GHUCCTS), these sessions are intended to introduce projects, approaches, research methods, populations and resources to all members of the research team.
Learn more our education programs
Just getting started in research at MedStar Health?
The Office of Research Development can orient you to services at the Research Institute, connect you to your Scientific Center Administrator (SCA) and help you achieve your short- and long-term research goals.
The Research and Grant Development Resource Center is
an internal portal for MedStar Health investigators and research staff that shows you how to:
- conduct research within the MedStar Health system
- find funding sources for your research, educational and other healthcare-related pursuits
- access public data, forms and boilerplate material for use in funding proposals
Learn more about MedStar Health Research Institute
E-mail us at research@MedStar.net