- Transplant Surgery
- renal cancer
- kidney transplantation
- laparoscopic urology
- pancreas transplantation
- renal cancer
Board-certified in urology and transplant surgery, Dr. Ghasemian treats a wide variety of conditions, often using minimally invasive techniques. Besides kidney transplants, Dr. Ghasemian offers surgical treatment for diabetes, treats urology issues for pre-and post-transplant patients as well as bladder, kidney and prostate cancers.
Dr. Ghasemian completed residency training in Urology and General Surgery and fellowship training in Transplant at MedStar Washington Hospital Center following medical school at the National University of Iran, in Tehran, Iran.
An Assistant Professor of Urology at Georgetown Medical School, Dr. Ghasemian has published peer-reviewed papers on transplantation and delivered presentations across the country.
He is also the recipient of the Meritorious Achievement Award from MedStar Washington Hospital Center for his work in transplantation services.
Philosophy of Care
Delivering the best patient care is a priority for Dr. Ghasemian. From diagnosis to recovery, he works with individuals often facing life threatening illness making sure they and their families understand treatment options and what is takes to get better.
Working in an academic medical center such as MedStar Georgetown also provides the opportunity to focus on his other priority, training the next generation of skilled and compassionate physicians as he has done throughout his long career.
- Residency Program: MedStar Washington Hospital Center (1999)
- Internship Program: MedStar Washington Hospital Center (1995)
- Fellowship Program: MedStar Washington Hospital Center (1994)
- Residency Program: Saadat Abad Hospital (1988)
- Residency Program: Pahlavi Univeristy Hospital (1986)
- Residency Program: Saadat Abad Hospital (1985)
- Medical School: Shaid Beheshti University of Medical Science & Health Services (1982)
- Board Certification: American Board of Urology, Urology
- Multi-institutional outcomes and cost effectiveness of using alvimopan to lower gastrointestinal morbidity after cystectomy and urinary diversion. Vora A, Marchalik D, Nissim H, Kowalczyk K, Bandi G, McGeagh K, Lynch J, Venkatesan K, Ghasemian R, Hwang J, Hwang MV. Can J Urol. 2014 Apr;21(2):7222-7.
- Incidence of postembolization syndrome after complete renal angioinfarction: a single-institution experience over four years.Vora A, Brodsky R, Nolan J, Ram S, Richter L, Yingling C, Venkatesan K, Ghasemian R, Hwang J, Horton K, Verghese M.Scand J Urol. 2014 Jun;48(3):245-51. doi: 10.3109/21681805.2013.852620. Epub 2013 Nov 11.
- Preictors of Gleason score upgrading in a large African-American population.Vora A, Large T, Aronica J, Haynes S, Harbin A, Marchalik D, Nissim H, Lynch J, Bandi G, McGeagh K, Kowalczyk K, Ghasemian R, Venkatesan K, Verghese M, Hwang J.Int Urol Nephrol. 2013 Oct;45(5):1257-62. doi: 10.1007/s11255-013-0495-y. Epub 2013 Jul 18.
- Vora AA, Marchalik D, Kowalczyk KJ, Nissim H, Bandi G, McGeagh KG, Lynch JH, Ghasemian SR, Verghese M, Venkatesan K, Borges P, Uchio EM, Hwang JJ. Prostate Int. 2013;1(1):31-6. doi: 10.12954/PI.12001. Epub 2013 Jan 21.
- Alvimopan provides rapid gastrointestinal recovery without nasogastric tube decompression after radical cystectomy and urinary diversion.Vora AA, Harbin A, Rayson R, Christiansen K, Ghasemian R, Hwang J, Verghese M.Can J Urol. 2012 Jun;19(3):6293-8.
MyGeorgetownMD - Health Newsletter (Winter 2017) First-Ever MedStar Georgetown Kidney Transplant Patient Returns for Second Kidney Transplant
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Family Choice-DC Healthy Families
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (2)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- 106 Irving Street NorthwestWashington, DC 20010
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center