Good nutritional care is an important part of your recovery. Your diet is ordered by your physician and depends upon your diagnosis and medical condition. Our staff of professional, registered dietitians is available to assess your nutritional requirements and provide individualized nutrition counseling. Group classes on heart healthy and diabetic nutrition are also offered. Please check with your nurse for further information.
Outpatient nutrition counseling is now available for individuals or groups at MedStar Health.
Dietitians can address many concerns including:
- Chronic disease and stroke prevention
- Diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, chronic
- Kidney disease
- Digestive problems
- Nutrition after spinal cord injury
- Food allergies
- Advice for weight gain or loss
- Nutrition during cancer treatment
- Any condition where nutrition intervention could create a positive outcome
Your nutrition consultation is personal and confidential. The initial visit is typically one hour. The nutritionist will:
- Discuss your eating habits, medical history, and specific dietary requirements.
- Provide in-depth assessment of your current nutritional status.
- Work with you to establish a meal plan, provide educational pamphlets, and set realistic goals.
Costs for nutrition counseling
To learn what your coverage is before schedule your first appointment, contact your individual insurance provider. You will also need an insurance referral or prescription for nutrition therapy from your doctor. You may also choose to pay for counseling out of pocket.