- adrenal neoplasm
- adrenal nodules
- atonic urinary bladder
- atrophy of testis
- benign neoplasm of the prostate
- benign prostatic hyperplasia
- bladder cancer
- bladder disease
- bladder diverticulum
- bladder fistula
- bladder neck obstruction
- bladder stone
- bladder trauma
- cancer-related sexual concerns
- carcinoma in situ of prostate
- crushing injury of external genitalia
- dysplasia of prostate
- ectopic kidney
- ectopic ureter
- ejaculatory dysfunction
- enlarged prostate
- enterovesical fistula
- erectile disorder
- female urinary incontinence
- foreign body in bladder and urethra
- frequency of urination
- genital trauma
- genitourinary fistula
- incomplete emptying of bladder
- kidney stone
- localized prostate cancer
- male genital organ stricture
- male infertility
- male urinary incontinence
- meatal stenosis
- metastatic prostate cancer
- microscopic hematuria
- neurogenic urinary bladder
- penile bleeding
- penile cancer
- penile chordee
- penile discharge
- penile plaque
- periurethral abscess
- peyronie's disease
- post prostatectomy incontinence
- post void dribbling
- prostate abscess
- prostate bleeding
- prostate cancer
- prostate cancer genomics
- prostate cancer screening
- prostate disease
- prostate infection
- prostatic hypertrophy
- radiation cystitis
- recurrent urinary tract infection
- renal cancer
- renal cysts
- renal mass
- screening for malignant neoplasms of prostate
- screening for malignant neoplasms of testis
- scrotal abscess
- scrotal cyst
- scrotal pain
- slowing of urinary stream
- strictures of upper urinary tract
- testicular atrophy
- testicular cancer
- testicular dysfunction
- testicular mass
- testicular pain
- testicular torsion
- testosterone deficiency
- ureteropelvic junction obstruction
- urethral abscess
- urethral discharge
- urethral diverticulum
- urethral stricture
- urinary hesitation
- urinary incontinence
- urinary retention
- urinary tract infection
- urinary tract injury
- urinary tract obstruction
- urologic trauma
- vesicocutaneous fistula
- vesicoureteral reflux
- voiding dysfunction
- active surveillance of prostate cancer
- artificial urinary sphincter
- bladder surgery
- botox injection of the bladder
- bph surgery
- continent urinary diversion
- cryotherapy for prostate cancer
- da vinci prostatectomy
- high intensity focus ultrasound for prostate cancer
- ileal conduit
- kidney surgery
- laparoscopic surgery for prostate cancer
- laser enucleation of prostate
- male genitourinary reconstruction
- male sling
- mri-trus fusion guided prostate biopsy
- neobladder construction
- no needle no scalpel vasectomy
- partial nephrectomy
- penis straightening for chordee
- percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation (ptns)
- prostate needle biopsy
- radical prostatectomy
- reattachment of amputated penis
- reconstruction of penis
- release of chordee
- removal of internal penile prosthesis
- renal cyst ablation
- repair of rectourethral fistula
- robotic prostate surgery
- robotic surgery for prostate cancer
- sacral neuromodulation for bladder control
- testopel insertion
- transgender female to male surgery
- transgender male to female surgery
- transurethral prostatectomy
- transurethral resection of bladder
- ureteral stent
- ureteral stricture dilation
- urinary diversion
- video urodynamics
Gaurav Bandi is a compassionate and dedicated urologist who has been practicing in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area since 2009. Dr. Bandi earned his medical degree at M.G.M. Medical College. He completed his internship and urology residency at Wayne State University, and a fellowship in minimally invasive urology (endourology and robotic surgery) at the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Bandi has published several book chapters and peer-reviewed articles and in various medical journals. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Urology and a member of the American Urological Association and the Endourologic Society. He serves as an Associate Professor in the Department of Urology at Georgetown University where he regularly teaches medical students, interns, and residents. Dr. Bandi has been chosen as a "Top Doctor" by Washingtonian magazine and has been felicitated by the Archdiocese of Washington for his work with the Catholic Charities.
Dr. Bandi exhibits his passion for urology in the care and precision he takes with his patients. He believes in practicing evidence based medicine while minimizing the costs of health care delivery. His consultations are consistently precise and thorough.
Dr. Bandi has special interests in minimally invasive management of urologic conditions using advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgery, endourologic and cryoablation techniques. He is a specialist in the management of disorders related to prostate including prostate cancer and BPH. He has an interest in early detection of prostate cancer using novel biomarkers and MRI guided fusion biopsies, and in active surveillance and minimally invasive management of prostate and kidney cancer (including focal therapy and ablation).
Dr. Bandi provides comprehensive care (medical therapy, minimally invasive procedures and surgical therapy) for patients with enlarged prostate (BPH). He was the first urologist in the area to perform HOLEP (Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate), REZUM and UROLIFT procedures for BPH. He has extensive experience in surgical management of BPH and performs over 200 BPH procedures every year. He is one of the few urologists in the area who has expertise in management of severe impotence and incontinence using prosthetic devices like penile implants, urinary sphincter and slings. He also performs complex reconstructive procedures for management of Peyronie's disease and urethral stricture.
Dr. Bandi speaks English, Gujarati, Hindi, and Punjabi fluently, which makes him widely accessible to patients from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
Learn more about Dr. Bandi's achievements.
- Fellowship Program: University of Wisconsin Hospital (2010)
- Fellowship Program: University of Wisconsin-Madison (2007)
- Residency Program: Wayne State University Physician Group (2006)
- Residency Program: DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital (2006)
- Internship Program: DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital (2002)
- Internship Program: University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ (2001)
- Internship Program: Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (2001)
- Internship Program: M.Y. Group Hospitals (2000)
- Medical School: M.G.M. Medical College (2000)
- Board Certification: American Board of Urology, Urology
Marchalik D, Triest JA, Wright HC, Bandi G. Use of "off the shelf" extracellular matrix graft materials for repair of testicular rupture: a novel technique. Urology. 2014 Sep;84(3):
Vora A, Marchalik D, Nissim H, Kowalczyk K, Bandi G, McGeagh K, Lynch J, Venkatesan K, Ghasemian R, Hwang J, Hwang MV. Multi-institutional outcomes and cost effectiveness of using alvimopan to lower gastrointestinal morbidity after cystectomy and urinary diversion. Can J Urol. 2014 Apr;21(2):7222-7.
Chen LN, Rubin RS, Othepa E, Cer C, Yun E, Agarwal RP, Collins BT, McGeagh K, Pahira J, Bandi G, Kowalczyk K, Kumar D, Dritschilo A, Collins SP, Bostwick DG, Lynch JH, Suy S. Correlation of HOXD3 promoter hypermethylation with clinical and pathologic features in screening prostate biopsies. Prostate. 2014 May;74(7):714-21
Vora AA, Marchalik D, Kowalczyk KJ, Nissim H, Bandi G, McGeagh KG, Lynch JH, Ghasemian SR, Verghese M, Venkatesan K, Borges P, Uchio EM, Hwang JJ. Robotic-assisted prostatectomy and open radical retropubic prostatectomy for locally-advanced prostate cancer: multi-institution comparison of oncologic outcomes. Prostate Int. 2013;1(1):31-6.
Obayomi-Davies O, Chen LN, Bhagat A, Wright HC, Uhm S, Kim JS, Yung TM, Lei S, Batipps GP, Pahira J, McGeagh KG, Collins BT, Kowalczyk K, Bandi G, Kumar D, Suy S, Dritschilo A, Lynch JH, Collins SP. Potency preservation following stereotactic body radiation therapy for prostate cancer. Radiat Oncol. 2013 Nov 1;8:25
Vora A, Large T, Aronica J, Haynes S, Harbin A, Marchalik D, Nissim H, Lynch J, Bandi G, McGeagh K, Kowalczyk K, Ghasemian R, Venkatesan K, Verghese M, Hwang J. Predictors of Gleason score upgrading in a large African-American population. Int Urol Nephrol. 2013 Oct;45(5):1257-62.
Vora A, Harbin A, Marchalik D, Nissim H, Verghese M, Bandi G, Hwang J. Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Simple Prostatectomy in Men with Bladder Outlet Obstruction: Modified Urinary Reconstruction Leading to Improving Perioperative Outcomes. Journal of Endourology Part B, Videourology. May 2013, 27.
Chen LN, Suy S, Uhm S, Oermann EK, Ju AW, Chen V, Hanscom HN, Laing S, Kim JS, Lei S, Batipps GP, Kowalczyk K, Bandi G, Pahira J, McGeagh KG, Collins BT, Krishnan P, Dawson NA, Taylor KL, Dritschilo A, Lynch JH, Collins SP. Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for clinically localized prostate cancer: the Georgetown University experience. Radiat Oncol. 2013 Mar 13;8:58.
Vora A, Mittal S, Hwang J, Bandi G. Robot-assisted simple prostatectomy: multi-institutional outcomes for glands larger than 100 grams. J Endourol. 2012 May;26(5):499-502.
Vora A, Stisser B, Bandi G. Robotic Calyceal Diverticulectomy: A Video Review of Technique. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques and Part B: Videoscopy. July 2012, 22.
Harbin, A., Vora AA & Bandi, G.: Recurrent Arteriovenous Malformation of the Spermatic Cord. BJUI. Jan 20
Oermann EK, Suy S, Hanscom HN, Kim JS, Lei S, Yu X, Zhang G, Ennis B, Rohan JP, Piel N, Sherer BA, Borum D, Chen VJ, Batipps GP, Constantinople NL, Dejter SW, Bandi G, Pahira J, McGeagh KG, Adams-Campbell L, Jha R, Dawson NA, Collins BT, Dritschilo A, Lynch JH, Collins SP. Low incidence of new biochemical and clinical hypogonadism following hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) monotherapy for low- to intermediate-risk prostate cancer. J Hematol Oncol. 2011 Mar 27;4:12.
Bandi G. : Editorial comment on Pathologic findings in patients with ureteropelvic junction obstruction and crossing vessels. Richstone L, Seideman CA, Reggio E, Bluebond-Langner R, Pinto PA, Trock B, Kavoussi LR. Urology. 2009 Apr;73(4):716-9; discussion 719.
Bandi G., Wilkinson E.A., & Nakada S.Y.: Nifedipine inhibits ureteral contractility in a dose-dependent manner. J Urol. 2008 May; 179(4) supplement: 509.
Bandi G., Wilkinson E.A.& Nakada S.Y.: Effect of hydrocortisone in combination with doxazosin and nifedipne on ureteral contractility. J Urol. 2008 May; 179(4) supplement: 560.
Bandi G., Meiners R.J., Pickhardt P.J., Nakada S.Y.: Stone measurement by volumetric three-dimensional computed tomography for predicting the outcome after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy. BJU Int. 2009 Feb;103(4):524-8
Bandi G., Wilkinson E.R, Cary Coyle T.L., & Nakada S.Y.: Effect of hydrocortisone on porcine ureteral contractility in vitro. J Endourol. 2008 Jun;22(6):1169-73.
Bandi G., Hedican S.P., Moon T.D., Lee F.T. & Nakada S.Y.: Comparison of postoperative pain, convalescence and patient satisfaction after laparoscopic and percutaneous ablation of small renal masses. J Endourol. 2008 May;22(5):963-7.
Bandi G., Best S.L. & Nakada S.Y.: Current practice patterns in the management of upper urinary tract calculi in the North Central United States. J Endourol. 2008 Apr;22(4):631-6.
Bandi G., Nakada S.Y. & Penniston K.L.: Practical approach to metabolic evaluation and treatment of the recurrent stone patient. Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2008 Apr;107(2):91-100.
Sterrett S.P., Laurila T., Bandi G. & Jarrard D.F.: Identification and preservation of accessory pudendal vessels during robot-assisted laparoscopic radical retropubic prostatectomy. Journal of Robotic Surgery.
Bandi G., Wen CC., Moon T.D. & Nakada S.Y.: Single center preliminary experience with hand-assisted laparoscopic resection of isolated renal cell carcinoma fossa recurrences. Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. 2008 Mar;71(3):495-9; discussion 499-500..
Bandi G., Christian M., Hedican S.P., Moon T.D. & Nakada S.Y.: Oncological outcomes of hand-assisted laparoscopic radical nephrectomy for clinically localized renal cell carcinoma: a single-institution study with >or=3 years of follow-up. BJU Int. 2008 Feb;101(4):459-62. Epub 2007 Oct 17.
Bandi G., Wen C.C., Wilkinson E.A., Moon T.D., & Nakada S.Y.: Comparison of blade temperatures after activation between Harmonic Ace and Ultracision harmonic scalpel LCS-K5. J Endourol. 2008 Feb;22(2):333-6.
Bandi G., Hedican S.P. & Nakada S.Y.: Current practice patterns involving the use of ablation therapy for small renal masses at academic institutions in the United States. Urology. 2008 Jan;71(1):113-7.
Bandi G., Al-Omar O. & McLorie G. A.: Comparison of traditional enterocystoplasty and seromuscular colocystoplasty lined with urothelium. J Pediatr Urol. 2007 Dec;3(6):484-9. Epub 2007 Jun 20.
Bandi G., Wen C.C., Hedican S. P., Moon T.D., Lee F.T. & Nakada S.Y.: Cryoablation of small renal masses: assessment of the outcome at one institution. BJU Int. 2007 Oct;100(4):798-801.
Bandi G., Vincentini F.C. & Triest J.A.: Anuric renal failure after bilateral atraumatic ureteroscopy. Int Braz J Urol. 2007 Mar-Apr;33(2):193-4.
John T., Bandi G. & Santucci R. A.: Porcine small intestinal submucosa is not an ideal graft material for Peyronie's disease surgery. J Urol. 2006 Sep 176(3):1025- discussion 1029.
Bandi G., Al-Omar O. & McLorie G. A.: Psoas abscess complicated by vesical fistula in a child managed by non-surgical therapy. J Pediatr Urol. 2005 Aug;1(4):315-6. Epub 2005 Mar 19.
Bandi G., Rajpurkar A. & Dhabuwala C. B.: Multiple retained needles: An unusual complication of intracavernous self-injection. Urology. 2005 Apr; 65(4):797.
Bandi G. & Santucci R. A.: Controversies in the management of Male External Genitourinary Trauma. J Trauma. 2004 Jun; 56(6): 1362-70.
Bandi G., Rajpurkar A. & Dhabuwala C. B.: Comparison of various graft materials for corporoplasty in penile surgeries. J Urol. 2004 May; 171(4) supplement: 238.
Bandi G., Bianco F. J., & Dhabuwala C. B.: Recurrent scrotal arteriovenous malformation: A case report and review of literature. J Urol. 2004 Apr; 171(4): 1628.
Bandi G., Bianco F. J., Coccuza M., Che M., Grignon D. J. & Pontes J. E.: Quantitative evaluation of G250 expression in multiple epithelial renal neoplasms, including multilocular cystic renal cell carcinoma. J Urol. 2003 Apr; 169(4) supplement: 198.
Gupta S., Dave A., Bandi G. & Thakur R.: Obstetric Hysterectomy in Modern Day Obstetrics: An Overview of 175 Cases over a Period of 11 Years. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology of India. 2001 Nov-Dec; 51(6): 91-93.
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- The John Carroll Society Pro Bono Healthcare Award, 2016
- Washingtonian Top Doctors, 2015
- 3rd Prize, Endourology Essay contest, 2007.
- 2006 Pfizer Fellow in Urology – Wayne State University.
- 2005 American Urological Association Gerald P. Murphy Scholar.
- Medical school rank 1st in a class of 160.