Gaurav Bandi is a compassionate and dedicated urologist who has been practicing in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area since 2009. Dr. Bandi earned his medical degree at M.G.M. Medical College. He completed his internship and urology residency at Wayne State University, and a fellowship in minimally invasive urology (endourology and robotic surgery) at the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Bandi has published several book chapters and peer-reviewed articles and in various medical journals. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Urology and a member of the American Urological Association and the Endourologic Society. He serves as an Associate Professor in the Department of Urology at Georgetown University where he regularly teaches medical students, interns, and residents. Dr. Bandi has been chosen as a "Top Doctor" by Washingtonian magazine and has been felicitated by the Archdiocese of Washington for his work with the Catholic Charities.
Dr. Bandi exhibits his passion for urology in the care and precision he takes with his patients. He believes in practicing evidence based medicine while minimizing the costs of health care delivery. His consultations are consistently precise and thorough.
Dr. Bandi has special interests in minimally invasive management of urologic conditions using advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgery, endourologic and cryoablation techniques. He is an expert in the management of disorders related to prostate including prostate cancer and BPH. He has an interest in early detection of prostate cancer using novel biomarkers and MRI guided fusion biopsies, and in active surveillance and minimally invasive management of prostate and kidney cancer (including focal therapy and ablation).
Dr. Bandi provides comprehensive care (medical therapy, minimally invasive procedures and surgical therapy) for patients with enlarged prostate (BPH). He was one of the first urologists in the area to perform multiple BPH procedures including robotic simple prostatectomy, HOLEP (Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate), REZUM, Aquablation and UROLIFT procedures for BPH. He is considered a national expert, has extensive experience in surgical management of BPH and performs over 200 BPH procedures every year.
Dr. Bandi also performs metabolic work, medical and surgical management of patients with kidney stones. He performs kidney stone surgeries including percutaneous nephrolithotomy, ureteroscopic laser lithotripsy and shock wave lithotripsy.
He is one of the few urologists in the area who has expertise in management of severe impotence and incontinence using prosthetic devices like penile implants, urinary sphincter and slings. He also performs complex reconstructive procedures for management of Peyronie's disease and urethral stricture.
Dr. Bandi speaks English, Gujarati, Hindi, and Punjabi fluently, which makes him widely accessible to patients from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
Learn more about Dr. Bandi's achievements.
Clinical areas of focus
- Bladder Cancer
- Bph Surgery
- Elevated Psa
- Enlarged Prostate
- Kidney Cancer
- Kidney Stone
- Male Stress Incontinence
- Neurogenic Urinary Bladder
- Prostate Cancer
- Urinary Tract Infection
Conditions and procedures
Conditions I treat
- Adrenal Neoplasm
- Adrenal Nodules
- Atonic Urinary Bladder
- Benign Neoplasm Of The Prostate
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Bladder Cancer
- Bladder Disease
- Bladder Diverticulum
- Bladder Neck Obstruction
- Bladder Stone
- Cancer Related Sexual Concerns
- Carcinoma In Situ Of Prostate
- Continuous Leakage Of Urine
- Elevated Psa
- Enlarged Prostate
- Erectile Disorder
- Frequency Of Urination
- Genitourinary Fistula
- Incomplete Emptying Of Bladder
- Kidney Cancer
- Kidney Stone
- Localized Prostate Cancer
- Male Genital Organ Stricture
- Male Infertility
- Male Stress Incontinence
- Male Urinary Incontinence
- Male Urinary Problems
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Microscopic Hematuria
- Neurogenic Urinary Bladder
- Overactive Bladder
- Penile Cancer
- Penile Plaque
- Peyronie's Disease (PD)
- Post Prostatectomy Incontinence
- Post Void Dribbling
- Prostate Bleeding
- Prostate Cancer
- Prostatic Hypertrophy
- Prostatic Obstruction
- Renal Mass
- Slowing Of Urinary Stream
- Straining On Urination
- Strictures Of Upper Urinary Tract
- Testicular Cancer
- Testicular Mass
- Testosterone Deficiency
- Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction
- Urethral Stricture
- Urinary Hesitation
- Urinary Retention
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Urinary Tract Obstruction
- Vesicocutaneous Fistula
Procedures I perform
- Active Surveillance Of Prostate Cancer
- Artificial Urinary Sphincter
- Bladder Surgery
- Botox Injection Of The Bladder
- Bph Surgery
- High Intensity Focus Ultrasound For Prostate Cancer
- Hydrocele Repair
- Ileal Conduit
- Kidney Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery For Prostate Cancer
- Laparoscopic Urology
- Laser Enucleation Of Prostate
- Male Genitourinary Reconstruction
- Male Sling
- Mri Trus Fusion Guided Prostate Biopsy
- No Needle No Scalpel Vasectomy
- Partial Nephrectomy
- Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation (PTNS)
- Prostate Arterial Embolization
- Prostate Biopsy
- Prostate Cancer Cryotherapy
- Prostate Cancer Genomics
- Prostate Cancer Screening
- Prostate Imaging
- Prostate Needle Biopsy
- Prostate Specific Antigen Blood Test
- Radical Prostatectomy
- Removal Of Internal Penile Prosthesis
- Renal Cyst Ablation
- Robotic Prostate Surgery
- Robotic Surgery For Prostate Cancer
- Screening For Malignant Neoplasms Of Prostate
- Testopel Insertion
- Transurethral Prostatectomy
- Transurethral Resection Of Bladder
- Ureteral Stent
- Ureteral Stricture Dilation
- Urethral Bulking Injection
- Urinary Diversion
- Urolift (BPH)
- Video Urodynamics
Distance from Change LocationEnter your Location
3800 Reservoir Road Northwest Pasquerilla Healthcare Center 4th Fl Washington, DC, 20007202-444-4922
1133 21st Street Northwest Suite 601 Washington, DC, 20036202-416-2000
5530 Wisconsin Avenue Suite 950 Chevy Chase, MD, 20815301-652-7872
3800 Reservoir Road Northwest HealthCare Center 3rd Fl Washington, DC, 20007202-444-4922
MedStar Medical Group accepts most major health insurance plans. If you are uncertain as to whether your individual health insurance plan is accepted at MedStar Medical Group, please call your insurance company.
List of insurance plans we accept
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA Indemnity
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Student Resources
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- United Healthcare Choice
- CIGNA HMO Open Access (OA)
- Network OA
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA EPO
- PPO and PPO Plus
- Choice Fund PPO
- CFBSBC Blue Preferred PPO
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Open Access
- BlueChoice Open Access
- Aetna Traditional Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Aetna Open Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice (POS)
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Aetna Elect Choice/ Open Access (POS)
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Aetna HMO-Open Access/Select OA/HealthFund/Health Network Option OA
- Innovation Health: POS
- Open HMO
- Opoen HMO Option
- Open EPO Plus
- Aetna Managed Choice Open Access (POS)
- Choice POS & Choice POS II
- Innovation Health: Open POS Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Select HMO/HealthFund/Health Network
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Aetna Better Health of Maryland
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)"
- CFBCBS EPO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std/Basic PPO/Blue Focus)
- Cigna HealthSpring Medicare Advantage
- Kaiser MD Medicaid MCO
- Kaiser Permanente Flexible Choice POS
- Kaiser Permanente Medicare Plus (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Kaiser Permanente Select
- Kaiser Permanente Signature
- Kaiser Permanente Signature-Added Choice
- Kaiser PermanenteSelect-Added Choice
- Kaiser Virginia Premier
- Medicare Fee for Service
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UHC Community Plan of MD
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)"
- UnitedHealthcare and AARP Medicare Complete Plans/ UHC Group Medicare Advantage Plans HMO, POS, PPO"
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Adv/Special Needs Plans
Board Certification: American Board of Urology, Urology
Fellowship Program: University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics (2010)
Fellowship Program: University of Wisconsin-Madison (2007)
Residency Program: Wayne State University Physician Group (2006)
Residency Program: DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital (2006)
Internship Program: DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital (2002)
Internship Program: University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ (2001)
Internship Program: Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (2001)
Internship Program: M.Y. Group Hospitals (2000)
Medical School: M.G.M. Medical College (2000)
- UROLIFT Center of Excellence, 2021
- The John Carroll Society Pro Bono Healthcare Award, 2016
- Washingtonian Top Doctors Award
- 3rd Prize, Endourology Essay contest, 2007.
- 2006 Pfizer Fellow in Urology – Wayne State University.
- 2005 American Urological Association Gerald P. Murphy Scholar.
- Medical school rank 1st in a class of 160.
News and publications
- Discovery of Metabolic Biomarkers Predicting Radiation Therapy Late Effects in Prostate Cancer Patients.
Cheema AK, Grindrod S, Zhong X, Jain S, Menon SS, Mehta KY, Suy S, Collins S, Wang Y, Timofeeva O, Bandi G, Pahira J, Kowalczyk K, Lynch J, Dritschilo A.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2019;1164:141-150.
- Transobturator sling for post-prostatectomy incontinence: radiation's effect on efficacy/satisfaction.
Wright HC, McGeagh K, Richter LA, Hwang JJ, Venkatesan K, Pysher A, Koch GE, Kowalczyk K, Bandi G, Marchalik D.Can J Urol. 2017 Oct;24(5):8998-9002.
- Management of Isolated Local Failures Following Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Low to Intermediate Risk Prostate Cancer.
Aghdam N, Pepin AN, Creswell M, Hsieh K, Smith C, Drescher N, Danner M, Ayoob M, Yung T, Lei S, Kumar D, Collins BT, Lischalk JW, Krishnan P, Suy S, Lynch J, Bandi G, Hankins RA, Collins SP.Front Oncol. 2020 Oct 29;10:551491
- Autorino R, Zargar H, Mariano MB, Sanchez-Salas R, Sotelo RJ, Chlosta PL, Castillo O, Matei DV, Celia A, Koc G, Vora A, Aron M, Parsons JK, Pini G, Jensen JC, Sutherland D, Cathelineau X, Nuñez Bragayrac LA, Varkarakis IM, Amparore D, Ferro M, Gallo G, Volpe A, Vuruskan H, Bandi G, Hwang J, Nething J, Muruve N, Chopra S, Patel ND, Derweesh I, Champ Weeks D, Spier R, Kowalczyk K, Lynch J, Harbin A, Verghese M, Samavedi S, Molina WR, Dias E, Ahallal Y, Laydner H, Cherullo E, De Cobelli O, Thiel DD, Lagerkvist M, Haber GP, Kaouk J, Kim FJ, Lima E, Patel V, White W, Mottrie A, Porpiglia F. Perioperative Outcomes of Robotic and Laparoscopic Simple Prostatectomy: A European-American Multi-institutional Analysis. Eur Urol. 2014 Dec 4
- Marchalik D, Triest JA, Wright HC, Bandi G. Use of "off the shelf" extracellular matrix graft materials for repair of testicular rupture: a novel technique. Urology. 2014 Sep;84(3):
- Vora A, Marchalik D, Nissim H, Kowalczyk K, Bandi G, McGeagh K, Lynch J, Venkatesan K, Ghasemian R, Hwang J, Hwang MV. Multi-institutional outcomes and cost effectiveness of using alvimopan to lower gastrointestinal morbidity after cystectomy and urinary diversion. Can J Urol. 2014 Apr;21(2):7222-7.
- Chen LN, Rubin RS, Othepa E, Cer C, Yun E, Agarwal RP, Collins BT, McGeagh K, Pahira J, Bandi G, Kowalczyk K, Kumar D, Dritschilo A, Collins SP, Bostwick DG, Lynch JH, Suy S. Correlation of HOXD3 promoter hypermethylation with clinical and pathologic features in screening prostate biopsies. Prostate. 2014 May;74(7):714-21
- Vora AA, Marchalik D, Kowalczyk KJ, Nissim H, Bandi G, McGeagh KG, Lynch JH, Ghasemian SR, Verghese M, Venkatesan K, Borges P, Uchio EM, Hwang JJ. Robotic-assisted prostatectomy and open radical retropubic prostatectomy for locally-advanced prostate cancer: multi-institution comparison of oncologic outcomes. Prostate Int. 2013;1(1):31-6.
- Obayomi-Davies O, Chen LN, Bhagat A, Wright HC, Uhm S, Kim JS, Yung TM, Lei S, Batipps GP, Pahira J, McGeagh KG, Collins BT, Kowalczyk K, Bandi G, Kumar D, Suy S, Dritschilo A, Lynch JH, Collins SP. Potency preservation following stereotactic body radiation therapy for prostate cancer. Radiat Oncol. 2013 Nov 1;8:25
- Vora A, Large T, Aronica J, Haynes S, Harbin A, Marchalik D, Nissim H, Lynch J, Bandi G, McGeagh K, Kowalczyk K, Ghasemian R, Venkatesan K, Verghese M, Hwang J. Predictors of Gleason score upgrading in a large African-American population. Int Urol Nephrol. 2013 Oct;45(5):1257-62.
- Vora A, Harbin A, Marchalik D, Nissim H, Verghese M, Bandi G, Hwang J. Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Simple Prostatectomy in Men with Bladder Outlet Obstruction: Modified Urinary Reconstruction Leading to Improving Perioperative Outcomes. Journal of Endourology Part B, Videourology. May 2013, 27.
- Chen LN, Suy S, Uhm S, Oermann EK, Ju AW, Chen V, Hanscom HN, Laing S, Kim JS, Lei S, Batipps GP, Kowalczyk K, Bandi G, Pahira J, McGeagh KG, Collins BT, Krishnan P, Dawson NA, Taylor KL, Dritschilo A, Lynch JH, Collins SP. Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for clinically localized prostate cancer: the Georgetown University experience. Radiat Oncol. 2013 Mar 13;8:58.
- Vora A, Mittal S, Hwang J, Bandi G. Robot-assisted simple prostatectomy: multi-institutional outcomes for glands larger than 100 grams. J Endourol. 2012 May;26(5):499-502.
- Vora A, Stisser B, Bandi G. Robotic Calyceal Diverticulectomy: A Video Review of Technique. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques and Part B: Videoscopy. July 2012, 22.
- Harbin, A., Vora AA & Bandi, G.: Recurrent Arteriovenous Malformation of the Spermatic Cord. BJUI. Jan 20
- Oermann EK, Suy S, Hanscom HN, Kim JS, Lei S, Yu X, Zhang G, Ennis B, Rohan JP, Piel N, Sherer BA, Borum D, Chen VJ, Batipps GP, Constantinople NL, Dejter SW, Bandi G, Pahira J, McGeagh KG, Adams-Campbell L, Jha R, Dawson NA, Collins BT, Dritschilo A, Lynch JH, Collins SP. Low incidence of new biochemical and clinical hypogonadism following hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) monotherapy for low- to intermediate-risk prostate cancer. J Hematol Oncol. 2011 Mar 27;4:12.
- Bandi G. : Editorial comment on Pathologic findings in patients with ureteropelvic junction obstruction and crossing vessels. Richstone L, Seideman CA, Reggio E, Bluebond-Langner R, Pinto PA, Trock B, Kavoussi LR. Urology. 2009 Apr;73(4):716-9; discussion 719.
- Bandi G., Wilkinson E.A., & Nakada S.Y.: Nifedipine inhibits ureteral contractility in a dose-dependent manner. J Urol. 2008 May; 179(4) supplement: 509.
- Bandi G., Wilkinson E.A.& Nakada S.Y.: Effect of hydrocortisone in combination with doxazosin and nifedipne on ureteral contractility. J Urol. 2008 May; 179(4) supplement: 560.
- Bandi G., Meiners R.J., Pickhardt P.J., Nakada S.Y.: Stone measurement by volumetric three-dimensional computed tomography for predicting the outcome after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy. BJU Int. 2009 Feb;103(4):524-8
- Bandi G., Wilkinson E.R, Cary Coyle T.L., & Nakada S.Y.: Effect of hydrocortisone on porcine ureteral contractility in vitro. J Endourol. 2008 Jun;22(6):1169-73.
- Bandi G., Hedican S.P., Moon T.D., Lee F.T. & Nakada S.Y.: Comparison of postoperative pain, convalescence and patient satisfaction after laparoscopic and percutaneous ablation of small renal masses. J Endourol. 2008 May;22(5):963-7.
- Bandi G., Best S.L. & Nakada S.Y.: Current practice patterns in the management of upper urinary tract calculi in the North Central United States. J Endourol. 2008 Apr;22(4):631-6.
- Bandi G., Nakada S.Y. & Penniston K.L.: Practical approach to metabolic evaluation and treatment of the recurrent stone patient. Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2008 Apr;107(2):91-100.
- Sterrett S.P., Laurila T., Bandi G. & Jarrard D.F.: Identification and preservation of accessory pudendal vessels during robot-assisted laparoscopic radical retropubic prostatectomy. Journal of Robotic Surgery.
- Bandi G., Wen CC., Moon T.D. & Nakada S.Y.: Single center preliminary experience with hand-assisted laparoscopic resection of isolated renal cell carcinoma fossa recurrences. 2008 Mar;71(3):495-9; discussion 499-500..
- Bandi G., Christian M., Hedican S.P., Moon T.D. & Nakada S.Y.: Oncological outcomes of hand-assisted laparoscopic radical nephrectomy for clinically localized renal cell carcinoma: a single-institution study with >or=3 years of follow-up. BJU Int. 2008 Feb;101(4):459-62. Epub 2007 Oct 17.
- Bandi G., Wen C.C., Wilkinson E.A., Moon T.D., & Nakada S.Y.: Comparison of blade temperatures after activation between Harmonic Ace and Ultracision harmonic scalpel LCS-K5. J Endourol. 2008 Feb;22(2):333-6.
- Bandi G., Hedican S.P. & Nakada S.Y.: Current practice patterns involving the use of ablation therapy for small renal masses at academic institutions in the United States. Urology. 2008 Jan;71(1):113-7.
- Bandi G., Al-Omar O. & McLorie G. A.: Comparison of traditional enterocystoplasty and seromuscular colocystoplasty lined with urothelium. J Pediatr Urol. 2007 Dec;3(6):484-9. Epub 2007 Jun 20.
- Bandi G., Wen C.C., Hedican S. P., Moon T.D., Lee F.T. & Nakada S.Y.: Cryoablation of small renal masses: assessment of the outcome at one institution. BJU Int. 2007 Oct;100(4):798-801.
- Bandi G., Vincentini F.C. & Triest J.A.: Anuric renal failure after bilateral atraumatic ureteroscopy. Int Braz J Urol. 2007 Mar-Apr;33(2):193-4.
- John T., Bandi G. & Santucci R. A.: Porcine small intestinal submucosa is not an ideal graft material for Peyronie's disease surgery. J Urol. 2006 Sep 176(3):1025- discussion 1029.
- Bandi G., Al-Omar O. & McLorie G. A.: Psoas abscess complicated by vesical fistula in a child managed by non-surgical therapy. J Pediatr Urol. 2005 Aug;1(4):315-6. Epub 2005 Mar 19.
- Bandi G., Rajpurkar A. & Dhabuwala C. B.: Multiple retained needles: An unusual complication of intracavernous self-injection. Urology. 2005 Apr; 65(4):797.
- Bandi G. & Santucci R. A.: Controversies in the management of Male External Genitourinary Trauma. J Trauma. 2004 Jun; 56(6): 1362-70.
- Bandi G., Rajpurkar A. & Dhabuwala C. B.: Comparison of various graft materials for corporoplasty in penile surgeries. J Urol. 2004 May; 171(4) supplement: 238.
- Bandi G., Bianco F. J., & Dhabuwala C. B.: Recurrent scrotal arteriovenous malformation: A case report and review of literature. J Urol. 2004 Apr; 171(4): 1628.
- Bandi G., Bianco F. J., Coccuza M., Che M., Grignon D. J. & Pontes J. E.: Quantitative evaluation of G250 expression in multiple epithelial renal neoplasms, including multilocular cystic renal cell carcinoma. J Urol. 2003 Apr; 169(4) supplement: 198.
- Gupta S., Dave A., Bandi G. & Thakur R.: Obstetric Hysterectomy in Modern Day Obstetrics: An Overview of 175 Cases over a Period of 11 Years. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology of India. 2001 Nov-Dec; 51(6): 91-93.