Creating an environment of personalized care
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is committed to creating an environment of personalized care focused on the unique needs of our patients. Our physicians—many of them fellowship-trained—are nationally and internationally renowned for their expertise, as well as for their innovative approaches from diagnosis to treatments.
We are dedicated to ensuring continuity of care through our expert specialty and multidisciplinary teams from initial consults to second opinions and complex surgeries.
MedStar Georgetown was the first hospital in Washington, D.C., to receive Magnet® recognition for demonstrating excellence in nursing care. Since then, we have been re-designated three times given our outstanding commitment and dedication to our patients from our world-class nursing staff.
To further enhance the care we provide, MedStar Georgetown is constructing a Medical/Surgical Pavilion that will feature a new Emergency Department, new operating rooms, all-private patient rooms, three levels of underground parking, and new, attractive green space for the comfort of patients and visitors.
Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis, caring for the whole person, MedStar Georgetown is dedicated to focusing on the full needs of our patients and their families that go beyond their immediate healthcare needs and providing the comfort they need to help them heal. This philosophy empowers our associates to work together to provide holistic care, as well as a trusting and compassionate environment.
Awards and recognition
- U.S. News and World Report
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Magnet® Recognition for Excellence in Nursing
- National Accreditation from the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons
- Parkinson's Foundation Center of Excellence
- Nationally Recognized in Maternity Care
- MedStar Georgetown Awarded FACT Accreditation
- Huntington’s Disease Center of Excellence
- The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Heart-Check Mark for Advanced Certification for Comprehensive Stroke Centers
- Apex Recognition for Commitment to Excellence in Respiratory Care by American Association for Respiratory Care
- First Patient Blood Management Certification
- Prism Award
- Beacon Award
- National Accreditation for Breast Center
- National Pancreas Foundation Center of Excellence
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
- American College of Radiology Accredited Facility
MedStar Health participates with most major health insurance plans. Please contact your insurance company to make sure your plan is covered.
Meet our leaders
The leaders of MedStar Georgetown are fully committed to supporting our mission of expert and compassionate patient care.
Take part in the 2024 Community Health Needs Assessment
We invite you to take part in this 10-minute survey. We will not collect your name, or any personally identifiable information and your responses will be kept confidential. Your input will help inform important health and healthcare initiatives in your community.
If you need help taking this survey, or if you have questions, please send an email to the MedStar Community Health team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Explore our medical education opportunities
See a full list of our residency programs.
See a full list of our fellowship programs.