Our heart and vascular experts provide world-class heart and vascular care
Our heart and vascular teams have more than 200 specialists across 10 MedStar Health hospitals as well as physicians’ offices throughout the greater Washington, D.C., area and Central Maryland. Our widespread network gives our patients access to the most advanced care close to where they live and work.
Our medical specialties include:
- Cardiology: Prevention and treatment of diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
- Electrophysiology: Diagnosis and treatment of heart rhythm disorders.
- Interventional cardiology: Treatment of heart attacks and catheter-based treatment of structural heart diseases.
- Heart Failure and transplant cardiology: Treatment of advanced or complicated heart failure.
Our surgical specialties include:
- Cardiac surgery: Correcting heart conditions using a range of surgical options, from minimally invasive to traditional procedures, heart transplants, and ventricular assist devices.
- Vascular surgery: At the forefront of advanced surgeries for common and complex conditions that affect a patient’s blood vessels.
For more than 60 years, we have been the premier destination in our region for world-class heart and vascular care, also called cardiovascular care. Serving you as a national leader in the diagnosis, treatment and research of cardiovascular disease, our comprehensive capabilities enable us to diagnose and treat even the most complex conditions of the heart and vascular system.
MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- Top 5% of cardiac surgery programs in the U.S.
- Recognized by U.S. News and World Report Top 50 cardiology and heart surgery programs for 2023-2024
- Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a “high performing” hospital for abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, heart attack care, heart bypass surgery, heart failure care, and transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
- Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a “high performing” hospital for aortic valve surgery, heart attack care, heart bypass surgery, heart failure care, and transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
At a glance
We annually perform
transcatheter aortic valve
diagnostic and therapeutic cardiac catheterizations
care sites across Maryland, D.C., and Northern Virginia
- High volumes make us one of the busiest heart programs in the nation.
- Unique alliance with Cleveland Clinic Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute, a nationally ranked program.
Extensive research through the MedStar Cardiovascular Research Network.
- Academic teaching programs with Georgetown University School of Medicine.
- Advanced cardiovascular programs for diagnosing and treating even the most complex conditions.
- State-of-the-art facilities deliver the highest quality cardiovascular care and achieve the best patient outcomes.
The region’s only 24/7 emergency transport team through MedSTAR Rapid Transport.
Cardiovascular Physician publication
MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute publishes a quarterly magazine that shares clinical, research, and educational information in all of the specialties and subspecialties of cardiovascular care.
Ask MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute
Have general questions for our heart and vascular program? Email us at AskMHVI@medstar.net. If you have clinically-specific questions, please contact your physician’s office.