- Hand Surgery
Dr. Kevin O’Malley is a fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in hand and upper extremity surgery and Chief of Orthopedic Hand Surgery at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. His areas of special interest and surgical expertise include:
- Treatment of acute upper extremity trauma
- Hand, wrist and elbow arthroscopy
- Fracture care
- Soft-tissue reconstruction, including tendon transfers, nerve repair, and soft tissue coverage
- Surgical treatment of arthritis affecting the wrist, elbow, and shoulder
He approaches clinical care with the understanding that he is caring for the whole person, not just the hand and upper extremity. He emphasizes taking time to listen to patients to find treatment plans tailored to each individual patient's life and goals.
Dr. O’Malley has presented at conferences on hand and upper extremity surgery and trauma and is involved in ongoing research on these topics. He previously served as a clinical instructor at Tufts University School of Medicine.
Outside of the office, Dr. O'Malley enjoys spending time with his family and exploring the outdoors.
Medical Degree: Georgetown University Medical School
Residency: Medstar Georgetown University Hospital, Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellowship: Tufts University Medical Center and New England Baptist Hospital, Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
- Fellowship Program: Tufts University Medical Center (2020)
- Fellowship Program: Tufts University School of Medicine (2020)
- Residency Program: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital (2019)
- Medical School: Georgetown University School of Medicine (2014)
O’Malley, K, Conroy, C, Hattwick, E. Median nerve entrapment in fracture callus in setting of Riche-Cannieu anastomosis. Poster presentation at the 2019 Virginia Orthopaedic Society Meeting.
McDaniel, C, O’Malley, K, Kessler, M. Effect of Surgical Approach on Complication Rates in Distal Biceps Tendon Repair: A Systematic Review. Oral Presentation at the 2019 American Association for Hand Surgery Conference.
O’Malley, K, Kent, T, Argintar, E. “Surgical Considerations in the Adaptive Athlete.” Adaptive Sports Medicine: A Clinical Guide, Springer, 2017.
Hymes, R, O’Malley, K, Ramsey, L, Marcel, J, Malekzadeh, A. The Impact of Orthopaedic Implants on Airport Security in a Post 9/11 World. Poster presentation at the 2016 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Jones, P, Ji Y.M, O’Malley, K, Nesti, L. Heterotopic ossification of a peripheral nerve following blast injury. Poster presentation at the 2015 American Society for Peripheral Nerve.
Jones, P, Ji Y.M, O’Malley, K, Nesti, L. Heterotopic ossification of a peripheral nerve following blast injury. Poster presentation at the 2014 Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Anderssohn, A.M, Cox, K, O’Malley, K, Dees, S, Hosseini, M, Boren, L, Wagner, A, Bradley, JM, Kelley, MJ, Acott, TS. Molecular Chaperone Function for Myocilin. Investigative Opthalmology & Visual Science, 2011, 52:7548-7555.
O’Malley, K. Myocilin Molecular Chaperone Function, oral presentation at the 2008 M.J. Murdock Regional Research Conference, Tacoma, WA
O’Malley, K. The Enzymatic Activity of Glyceraldehyde-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Following Thermal Denaturation, poster presentation at the 2007 M.J. Murdock Regional Conference on Undergraduate Research, Salem, OR
O’Malley, K., Churchill, R., Henn, C. “Post-Traumatic Arthritis of the Elbow.” Post-Traumatic Arthritis, Jaypee.
O’Malley, K., McDaniel, C. Chang, E. “Biceps and Triceps Injuries.” Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity, 7th Ed. Elsevier.
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Hugh H. Hussey Medical Student Teaching Award
- String of Pearls Resident Teaching Award