- abnormal urine cytology
- adrenal neoplasm
- benign prostatic hyperplasia
- bladder cancer
- bladder diverticulum
- bladder fistula
- bladder trauma
- elevated psa
- enlarged prostate
- enterovesical fistula
- genital trauma
- genitourinary fistula
- localized prostate cancer
- malignant carcinoid tumor of kidney
- malignant tumor of male genital organ
- microscopic hematuria
- neoplasm of epididymis
- penile cancer
- prostate cancer
- prostatic hypertrophy
- renal cancer
- renal cysts
- renal mass
- scrotal tumor
- strictures of upper urinary tract
- testicular cancer
- testicular choriocarcinoma
- testicular mass
- urachal cancer
- ureteropelvic junction obstruction
- urologic trauma
- active surveillance of prostate cancer
- biopsy of penis
- biopsy of urethra
- bladder surgery
- bph surgery
- cancer immunotherapy
- continent urinary diversion
- cryoablation of renal cancer
- cryotherapy for prostate cancer
- da vinci adrenalectomy
- da vinci prostatectomy
- endoscopic management of urinary diversions
- endoscopic surgery for bladder cancer
- ileal conduit
- kidney surgery
- laparoscopic pyeloplasty
- laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
- laparoscopic surgery for prostate cancer
- laparoscopic urology
- laser enucleation of prostate
- laser prostate surgery
- male genitourinary reconstruction
- mri trus fusion guided prostate biopsy
- mri ultrasound fusion imaging of the prostate
- neobladder construction
- no needle no scalpel vasectomy
- partial nephrectomy
- partial orchiectomy
- prostate biopsy
- prostate cancer screening
- prostate examination
- prostate imaging
- prostate needle biopsy
- prostate specific antigen
- radical prostatectomy
- repair of rectourethral fistula
- robotic bladder surgery
- robotic prostate surgery
- robotic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection
- robotic surgery for bladder cancer
- robotic surgery for kidney cancer
- robotic surgery for prostate cancer
- robotic urological surgery
- screening for malignant neoplasms of prostate
- screening for malignant neoplasms of testis
- testicular biopsy
- transurethral prostatectomy
- transurethral resection of bladder
- unilateral orchidectomy
- ureteral stent
- urinary diversion
Ross Krasnow, MD, MPH, is a urologic oncologist at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. As a urologic oncologist, Dr. Krasnow specializes in the treatment of urologic malignancies including bladder, kidney, prostate, testicular, and upper tract urothelial cancer through the use of minimally invasive surgical techniques, such as endoscopic, laparoscopic, or robotic technologies, and when necessary open surgery. He also treats upper urinary tract obstruction/strictures, complex stone disease, benign prostatic hyperplasia, patients who require upper urinary tract reconstruction or urinary diversion, and other urologic conditions.
His treatment methods specifically focus on organ sparing techniques. When surgical management is needed, minimally invasive organ sparing techniques allow for partial removal of the affected organ and allow patients to maintain urinary and sexual function, while also maintaining quality of life.
Dr. Krasnow received his medical degree from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. He then joined Baylor College of Medicine for an internship in general surgery and a residency in urology. Dr. Krasnow completed a Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO) accredited two-year fellowship in urologic oncology at The Combined Harvard Program in Urologic Oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He has also received a master’s of science in bioethics from Union Graduate College in association with Mount Sinai School of Medicine Center and has completed a master’s in public health during his time in Boston at the Harvard TS Chan School of Public Health.
Dr. Krasnow takes special interest in the treatment of complex urologic tumors and conditions, even those that involve multiple organs. His research interests include cancer outcomes, population health, quality improvement in bladder cancer and other urologic malignancies. He is widely published and has presented nationally on numerous occasions on these subjects.
Dr. Krasnow has extensive experience using robotic minimally invasive surgical techniques through keyhole incisions for both cancer excision and reconstruction. He is also well-trained in MRI-fusion guided biopsy for the detection of prostate cancer. Additionally, Dr. Krasnow is thoroughly trained in retroperitoneal surgical techniques which are typically applied in the case of hostile abdomen, a condition that develops when multiple previous abdominal surgeries have left significant scarring in the abdomen, or difficult to access tumors. Retroperitoneal surgery approaches the kidney from the back and may allow for improved tumor resection, faster recovery time, and fewer complications.
In order to successfully treat complex genitourinary conditions, Dr. Krasnow hand-picks a multidisciplinary team of specialists that understand the particular disease process and that dedicate themselves to each individual patient. He is a member of the American Urological Association (AUA), the Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO), and the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), and he has the honor of being inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society.
When not performing clinical responsibilities or in research, Dr. Krasnow is spending time with his wife and three children.
Philosophy of Care
“My priority is to deliver state-of-the-art personalized cancer care. Through advanced diagnostic and surgical techniques, I can help patients achieve excellent cancer control while allowing for preservation of function as well as a less painful and more rapid recovery. Beyond the surgical technique, I assemble and lead a multidisciplinary team in order to obtain successful outcomes.
“It’s important to me to be accessible to my patients and that they have the space to ask questions in order to be well-informed about their condition as well as all of the positive and negative implications associated with any treatments. My goal is for my patients to feel comfortable and safe so that together we can meet their treatment goals.
“Referring physicians should expect consistent communication from me as well as a decisive course of action. I am happy to tackle problems both small and large. A referral indicates a collaborative effort between two or more healthcare providers, which requires accessibility to be able to provide the best care for any patient.”
- Fellowship Program: Combined Harvard Urologic Oncology Fellowship (2017)
- Fellowship Program: Massachusetts General Hospital (2017)
- Residency Program: Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals (2015)
- Residency Program: Baylor Affiliated Hospitals (2015)
- Internship Program: Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals (2010)
- Medical School: University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (2009)
- Medical School: University of Miami School of Medicine (2009)
The impact of non-medical reading on clinician burnout: a national survey of palliative care providers.Marchalik D, Rodriguez A, Namath A, Krasnow R, Obara S, Padmore J, Groninger H. Ann Palliat Med. 2019 Jul 8. pii: apm.2019.05.02. doi: 10.21037/apm.2019.05.02. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 31431021 Free Article
The Impact of Institutional Factors on Physician Burnout: A National Study of Urology Trainees.Marchalik D, Brems J, Rodriguez A, Lynch JH, Padmore J, Stamatakis L, Krasnow R.Urology. 2019 Jun 11. pii: S0090-4295(19)30516-3. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2019.04.042. [Epub ahead of print] ��
Marchalik D, Catomeris A, Krasnow R. The Impact of Burnout on Professional and Academic Goals and Career Regret in Urology Trainees. J Urol. 2019 Jul;202(1):45-46. Doi: 10.1097/JU.0000000000000146. Epub 2019 Jun 7. PubMed PMID: 30747874.
Mossanen M, Krasnow RE, Zlatev DV, Tan WS, Preston MA, Trinh QD, Kibel AS, Sonpavde G, Schrag D, Chung BI, Chang SL. Examining the relationship between complications and perioperative mortality following radical cystectomy: a population-based analysis. BJU Int. 2018 Nov 30. doi: 10.1111/bju.14636. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30499636.
Krasnow RE, Rodríguez D, Nagle RT, Mossanen M, Kibel AS, Chang SL. Urol Oncol. 2018 Nov;36(11):500.e11-500.e19. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2018.06.007. Epub 2018 Sep 21. PMID: 30249519
Ha A, Krasnow RE (co-first authorship), Mossanen M, Nagle R, Hshieh TT, Rudolph JL, Chang SL. A contemporary population-based analysis of the incidence, cost, and outcomes of postoperative delirium following major urologic cancer surgeries. Urol Oncol. 2018 Jul;36(7):341.e15-341.e22. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2018.04.012. Epub 2018 May 24. PubMed PMID: 29801992.
Matthew Mossanen, Matthew D. Ingham, Jeffrey J. Leow, Ilker Tinay, Ye Wang, Ross E. Krasnow, Mark A. Preston, Joaquim Bellmunt, Benjamin I. Chung, Jonathan E. Rosenberg, Steven L. Chang. Exploring Patterns of Mitomycin C Use in Community Practice Urology. Urology Practice. Volume 5, Issue 1, 2018. Pages 7-14. ISSN 2352-0779, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urpr.2017.02.002
Mossanen M, Krasnow RE, Nguyen PL, Trinh QD, Preston M, Kibel AS. Approach to the Patient with High-Risk Prostate Cancer. Urol Clin North Am. 2017Nov;44(4):635-645. doi: 10.1016/j.ucl.2017.07.009. Review. PubMed PMID: 29107279.
Mossanen M, Krasnow RE, Lipsitz SR, Preston MA, Kibel AS, Ha A, Gore JL, Smith AB, Leow JJ, Trinh QD, Chang SL. Associations of Specific Postoperative Complications with Costs after Radical Cystectomy. BJU Int. 2017 Oct 24. doi: 10.1111/bju.14064. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29063725.
Seisen T, Krasnow RE, Chang SL. Reply to B. Biswas et al. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Jun 20;35(18):2096. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2017.72.9277. Epub 2017 May 4. PubMed PMID: 28471707.
Krasnow RE, Mossanen M, Koo S, Kubiak DW, Preston MA, Chung BI, Kibel AS, Chang SL. Prophylactic Antibiotics and Postoperative Complications of Radical Cystectomy: A Population Based Analysis in the United States. Journal of Urology. 2017 Mar 4.
Matthew Mossanen, Matthew D. Ingham, Jeffrey J. Leow, Ilker Tinay, Ye Wang, Ross E. Krasnow, Mark A. Preston, Joaquim Bellmunt, Benjamin I. Chung, Jonathan E. Rosenberg, Steven L. Chang. Exploring patterns of mitomycin C use in community practice urology. Urology Practice. Published online: February 10, 2017.
Seisen T, Krasnow RE, Chang SL. Reply to B. Biswas et al. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2017 Jun 20;35(18):2096. Epub 2017 May 4.
Thomas Seisen, Ross E Krasnow, Joaquim Bellmunt, Morgan Rouprêt, Jeffrey J. Leow, Stuart R. Lipsitz, Malte Vetterlein, Mark A. Preston, Nawar Hanna, Adam S. Kibel, Maxine Sun, Toni K. Choueiri, Quoc-Dien Trinh, Steven Lee Chang. Effectiveness of Adjuvant Chemotherapy after Radical Nephroureterectomy for Locally Advanced and/or Positive Regional Lymph Node Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Mar 10;35(8):852-860
Ross E Krasnow, Michael Drumm, Hannah J Roberts, Andrzej Niemierko, Chin-Lee Wu, Niall M Heney, Matthew F Wszolek, Michael L Blute, Adam S Feldman, Richard J Lee, Anthony L Zietman, William U Shipley, Jason A Efstathiou. Clinical outcomes of patients with histologic variants of urothelial cancer treated with trimodality bladder-sparing therapy. European Urology. Jul;72(1):54-60
Michael Brooks, Qianxing Mo, Ross Krasnow, Philip Levy Ho, Yu-Cheng Lee, Jing Xiao, Antonina Kurtova, Seth Lerner, Gui Godoy, Weiguo Jian,Patricia Castro, Fengju Chen, David Rowley, Michael Ittmann, Keith Syson Chan. Positive Association of Type I Collagen with Non Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer Progression. Oncotarget. 2016 Sep 17.
Goh AC, Aghazadeh MA, Krasnow RE, Pastuszak AW, Stewart JN, Miles BK. Robotic Intracorporeal Continent Cutaneous Urinary Diversion: Primary Description. Journal of Endourology. Feb 2015.
Kurtova A, Xiao J, Pazhanisamy SK, Mo Q, Krasnow R, Seth LP, Chen F, Roh T, Lay, E, Ho PH, Chan KS. Blocking PGE2-induced Tumor Repopulation Abrogates Bladder Cancer Chemoresistance. Nature. 2014 Dec 3.
Eisenberg ML, Hsieh MH, Walter RC, Krasnow R, Lipshultz LI. The Relationship between Anogenital Distance, Fatherhood, and Fertility in Adult Men. PLoS ONE. 2011 May; Vol 6(5).
Krasnow RE, Wingo MS, Leveille RJ. Identification and Conservative Management of a Distal Ureteral Injury Occurring During Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy. Journal of Robotic Surgery. Published online: 27 Aug. 2008.
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2012
- University of Miami Honors Program in Medicine, 2000