Dr. Laura Malmut is Medical Director of the Transplant Recovery Program at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital and Assistant Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation at Georgetown University School of Medicine. She specializes in medically complex rehabilitation, transplant rehabilitation, and neurorehabilitation. She is recognized as a clinician, researcher, and educator.
Dr. Malmut is an award-winning researcher known for her work investigating clinical outcomes of hospitalized patients undergoing rehabilitation and on best practices in physical medicine and rehabilitation education. She is published in prominent journals in her field including the American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and in PM&R, the official scientific journal of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. She is a recipient of the Sarah Baskin Award for Excellence in Research and the PM&R Best Young Investigator Original Research Paper.
In addition, Dr. Malmut is a champion of innovation in medical education. She earned a two-year certificate as a Medical Education Clinical Scholar at Northwestern University. She was bestowed the Almost FAME-ous Award and the Helen Cooper Outstanding Resident Teacher Award for her numerous contributions to education in medicine. She speaks about her work at national conferences.
She earned her medical degree at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School and completed her residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Northwestern University/Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, formerly known as the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
Dr. Malmut provides rehabilitative care to patients recovering from a wide array of medical illness and physical injuries. She works closely with a multidisciplinary team to conduct a comprehensive assessment and develop a treatment plan that helps patients meet their personal goals and promotes the fullest possible recovery.
Conditions and procedures
MedStar Health accepts most major health insurance plans. If you are uncertain as to whether your individual health insurance plan is accepted at MedStar Health, please call your insurance company.
List of insurance plans we accept
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UnitedHealthcare and AARP Medicare Complete Plans/ UHC Group Medicare Advantage Plans HMO, POS, PPO
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- Kaiser Permanente Medicare Plus (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Kaiser MD Medicaid MCO
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Adv/Special Needs Plans
- Medicare Fee for Service
- Kaiser Permanente Flexible Choice POS
- Cigna HealthSpring Medicare Advantage
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Kaiser Virginia Premier
- Kaiser Permanente Select
- Kaiser PermanenteSelect-Added Choice
- UHC Community Plan of MD
- Kaiser Permanente Signature-Added Choice
- CFBCBS EPO
- Kaiser Permanente Signature
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std/Basic PPO/Blue Focus)
- Aetna Better Health of Maryland
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Select HMO/HealthFund/Health Network
- Aetna HMO
- Open POS II
- Innovation Health: Open POS Plus
- Choice POS & Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice Open Access (POS)
- Open EPO Plus
- Opoen HMO Option
- Open HMO
- Innovation Health: POS
- Aetna HMO-Open Access/Select OA/HealthFund/Health Network Option OA
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Aetna Elect Choice/ Open Access (POS)
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Aetna Managed Choice (POS)
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Aetna Open Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Aetna Traditional Choice (PPO)
- BlueChoice Open Access
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Open Access
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBSBC Blue Preferred PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- PPO and PPO Plus
- CIGNA EPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- Network OA
- CIGNA HMO Open Access (OA)
- United Healthcare Choice
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- United Student Resources
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- First Health PPO
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- FIRST HEALTH
Board Certification: American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Residency Program: McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University (2019)
Internship Program: Jacobi Medical Center (2016)
Medical School: New Jersey Medical School (2015)
News and publications
- Laura Malmut. "Chapter 13: Transplant Rehabilitation." Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Pocketpedia, edited by Leslie Rydberg and Sarah Hwang, 113 - 119. Springer Publishing Company, 2022. DOI: 10.1891/9780826156280.
- Leslie Rydberg, Kim Barker, Julie Lanphere, Laura Malmut, Jacqueline Neal, and Sarah Eickmeyer. "Heart Transplantation and the Role of Inpatient Rehabilitation: a Narrative Review." PM&R (December 24, 2022) DOI: 10.1002/pmrj.12935.
- Eleanor Belilos, Stanley Kamande, Mike Morrison, and Laura Malmut. "Teaching Poster Design to Enhance Research Presentation Quality at Academic Conferences: a Guide for Educators." Postgraduate Medical Journal (July 20, 2022) DOI: 10.1136/pmj-2022-141889.
- Steven Jow, Saumil Doshi, Sameer Desale, and Laura Malmut. "Mental Health Impact of COVID‐19 Pandemic on Therapists at Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility." PM&R (June 6, 2022) DOI: 10.1002/pmrj.12860.
- Laura Malmut, Cristina Kline-quiroz And Daniel M. Cushman. "Competency Assessment In Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation Resident Education." American Journal Of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (December 2022) DOI: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000001983.
- Michael Glicksman, Steven Jow And Laura Malmut. "Celecoxib For Management Of Refractory Back Pain Secondary To Vertebral Osteomyelitis: A Case Report." Journal Of Medical Cases (July 1, 2021) DOI: https://doi.org/10.14740/jmc3699.
- Laura Malmut, Chen Lin, Nina Srdanovic, Masha Kocherginsky, Richard L. Harvey And Shyam Prabhakaran. "Arm Subscore Of Motricity Index To Predict Recovery Of Upper Limb Dexterity In Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke." American Journal Of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (April 1, 2020) DOI: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000001326.
- Laura Malmut and Monica E. Rho "Simulation‐Based Education for Urgent Medical Complications Common to the Rehabilitation Setting: an Educational Program for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residents." PM&R (December 2019) DOI: 10.1002/pmrj.12148.
- Laura Malmut, George J. Tsioulias. "Bilateral Idiopathic Granulomatous Mastitis: A Case Of Noncaseating Granulomas In A Patient With Latent Tuberculosis." Journal Of Medical Cases (2014) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14740/jmc1835w.