Medicare reimburses physicians for qualified time spent overseeing the care of patients receiving home healthcare services. Care Plan Oversight (CPO) exists because the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recognizes the importance of on-going physician engagement in patient care.
MedStar Health Home Care wants to help physicians receive payment for their continuous involvement in their patients’ care. To simplify the process, we offer the resources below.
|The Value of CPO|
|10 patients X $105 .81 (G0181 National Average) = $1,058.10|
$1,058.10 X 12 months = $12,697/year
Annualized income for 16 Patients = $20,315
Annualized income for 24 Patients = $30,473
The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recognizes the importance of on-going physician engagement in patient care. Therefore, they distinguished three different types of Care Plan Oversight (CPO).
Types of CPO:
- Certification (G0180)
This initial certification code is used when the patient has not received Medicare-covered home health care services for at least 60 days.
- Recertification (G0179)
Recertification for patients who have received Medicare-covered home health services over the past 60 days.
- Home Health Care Plan Supervision (G0181)
Physician supervision of a home health agency patient who requires complex and multi-disciplinary care modalities involving:
- Regular physician development
- Revision of care plans
- Review of subsequent reports of patient status
- Review of related laboratory and other studies
- Communication (including telephone calls)
- Other healthcare professionals involved in patient’s care
- Integration of new information into the medical treatment plan
- Adjustment of medical therapy
Supervision must total at least 30 minutes within a calendar month for eligibility.