At MedStar Washington Hospital Center, we strive to create an inclusive and supportive environment for our patients, visitors, and associates. MedStar Washington Hospital Center has been named a “Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality” by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. The Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) report is a biennial survey published by the HRC Foundation. Our facility earned top marks for our policies and practices related to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) patients and their families. These policies include patient and employment non-discrimination, visitation, and cultural competency training for staff.
Visit the Healthcare Equality Index website for more information or to download a free copy of the report.
We inform our patients of their right to designate any person of their choice, including an unmarried partner, as a medical decision-maker. We partner with external LGBTQ organizations to assess and address LGBTQ health needs. We're committed to LGBTQ health-related research.
What We Offer for LGBTQ Health
Our electronic health record can capture pertinent information that may differ from your sex assigned at birth (e.g., preferred name and pronouns, gender identity) alongside vital details still critical to providing safe and quality clinical care.
The visitation policy includes explicit language granting equal visitation to LGBTQ patients and their visitors.
We offer a variety of transgender-specific clinical services.
We provide "All Gender" restrooms with appropriate designation signage.
At MedStar Washington, equitable treatment and inclusion is how we treat people.
GLMA: Health Professionals Advancing LGBT Equality provides four different pamphlets listing the “Top Ten Issues to Discuss with Your Healthcare Provider” for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, and transgender persons. All four pamphlets are available to download as PDFs.
- The American Heart Association has two LGBTQ+ specific brochures available for download as PDFs:
- The American Cancer Society has three LGBTQ+ specific brochures available for download as PDFs:
The National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center at The Fenway Institute has a variety of patient handouts, available to download in both Spanish and English.
Download HRC’s and Greater than AIDS HIV/AIDS Resource Guide.
Gender affirming services
- Transfeminine/transmasculine/non-binary genital surgery*
- Transfeminine/transmasculine/non-binary top surgery
- Revision top and bottom surgery
- Facial feminization*
- Body contouring
- Urology/Plastic surgery partnership
- Urethral lengthening, scrotoplasty, and perineoplasty
- Testicular prosthesis insertion
- Management of urethral stricture and fistula and other complications of gender affirmation bottom surgery
- Penile prosthesis insertion**
- HIV/STD/STI testing and counseling
- Provision of PEP/PrEP
- HIV care and services
- Hormone therapy and monitoring
Hearing and speech
- Voice and communication therapy
Obstetrics / Gynecology / Urogynecology
- Trans-affirming gynecological care, including cervical cancer screening and pelvic exams
Psychiatry / Behavioral health
- Culturally competent psychiatric evaluations
- Psychiatric medication management
- Group psychotherapy and counseling
- Culturally competent transgender and gender non-binary primary care
If you are interested in seeking care for any of these services, or would like to get more information on our LGBTQIA+ friendly services not listed here, please contact your MedStar Health provider.
*Surgeries are performed at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center.
**Introducing this service in late 2023