Debbie Kisner, PhD, RN, CNOR, NEA-BC
Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer
Sharon Bonner, MS, BSN, RN-BC
Multisite Director, Clinical Informatics
Kathy Grzeskiewicz, MBA-HCM, BSN, RN, NEA-BC
Senior Director, Critical Care, Emergency, Stroke Response
Lynn Petty, MA, BSN, RN, NE-BC
Senior Director, Nursing Administration, Behavioral Health, Women’s and Children’s
Kim Schwenk, MSN, RN
Assistant Vice President, Nursing Operations & Patient Care Services
Cindy Roles, MSN, RN, CNML
Senior Director, Med/Surg, Oncology
Kaylene Ross, MS, BSN, RN, CNOR
Senior Director, Perioperative
Beth Kilmoyer, DNP, MS, RN-BC, NPD-BC
Multisite Director, Professional Development
Gina Shelley MS, BSN, RN, CENP, NPD-BC
Director, Nursing Practice Innovation & Magnet
Our Nursing Units
We're pleased that you'd like to know more about nursing at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center. Our goal as a Magnet Hospital is to provide the highest quality patient-centered care through evidence based practice, nursing research, interdisciplinary collaboration, integrity and ethics, autonomy and accountability. Please explore the areas of interest to you:
Why work at MedStar Franklin Square?
MedStar Franklin Square is the largest employer in eastern Baltimore County and the third busiest hospital in central Maryland. We are one of the largest Emergency Department’s in the state caring for patients in Maryland. To become part of our team, check out our current job openings.
- Competitive Salaries - To augment your base salary we also offer evening, night and weekend differentials, extra shift bonus, Call-back bonus, preceptor bonus, Charge nurse pay, and Professional Nursing Ladder with five steps
- Scheduling Flexibility
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Hospital-Sponsored Educational AdvancementAuxiliary Nursing Scholarship in Honor of Marlene Cochran Fund
- Breastfeeding Suites - Contact the Lactation Resource Center at 443-777-7427 with any questions.
The benefits offered at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center include a comprehensively designed package that provides support to nurses and their families. Our Total Rewards package is one of the most competitive in the region and most flexible for our staff. Staff nurses, through the Nursing Retention and Recruitment Council, provide input and keep us focused on strategies to reward, recognize, retain and recruit talented nurses.
- No shift rotation
- Opportunity to participate in shared governance councils
- Online access to Nursing Spectrum CE Direct at no cost
- Online ability to pick up extra shifts through "Square Shifts"
- Flexible, unit-based self-scheduling
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Tax deferred savings plan - 403b
- Short- and long-term disability
- Six paid holidays per year
- Three personal holidays a year
- Free parking
- Flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Direct deposit
Nursing Education and Career Development
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center's dynamic orientation team takes ownership and pride in its commitment to provide a program that offers the opportunity for professional growth and development for all our newly hired nurses.
We provide you with ongoing mentorship from orientation specialists and/or preceptors selected according to your needs and experience. After a two-day general hospital and a four-day general nursing orientation, newly hired nurses begin work in their clinical areas along side their preceptor. The orientation experience integrates application of clinical knowledge with psychomotor skills competencies, enhancement of clinical knowledge, computer-assisted learning, bedside care and patient assignments. We also include other opportunities to spend share days or observation time in other units or ancillary departments to better understand the continuum of care, to develop collaborative relationships among members of the interdisciplinary care team and to optimize the quality of our patient care delivery.
Opportunities for Professional Growth and Development include:
- Certifications - we provide financial and educational support for professional certification and recertification
- Nursing Externship
- Vizient Nurse Residency Program
- Professional Nursing Ladder
- Nursing Grand Rounds
- Nursing Spectrum CE Direct
For Schools of Nursing
Nursing Student Clinical and Practicum Information
Welcome to MedStar Health and MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center!
Medstar Franklin Square Medical Center is proud to have affiliation agreements with local and online colleges and universities. Student placements are delegated to the Nursing Administration Office and the Nursing Clinical Coordinator. Our goal is to provide nursing students with an excellent learning experience while providing our patients with safe, competent care. Please review our Nursing Students and Faculty Policy found here.
Our goal is to provide nursing students with an excellent learning experience while providing our patients with safe, competent care.
Service Excellence is a part of the MedStar Franklin Square culture. Our Spirit Standards (pdf) explain our service requirements for associates and those who care for our patients. Please read our spirit standards as our expectation is that students will adhere to these standards while caring for our patients.
Please contact Beth Weed at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-777-7006 for any questions or concerns including required documentation prior to the start of all clinical and practicum placements.
About Magnet Designation
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center is proud to be a Magnet designated hospital. The four-year designation for excellence in nursing services from the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® was first achieved in November 2008. In 2018, MedStar Franklin Square was redesignated with this recognition for nursing excellence, making it MedStar Franklin's third designation.
The Magnet Recognition Program recognizes health care organizations that demonstrate excellence in nursing practice and adherence to national standards for the organization and delivery of nursing services. Applicant hospitals undergo a rigorous evaluation that includes written documentation demonstrating excellence in nursing practice and clinical outcomes, as well as an extensive interviews and on-site review of nursing services validating organizational excellence.
Magnet recognition is a performance-driven recognition for:
- Quality patient care
- Nursing excellence
- Innovation in professional nursing practice
Only 6% of U.S. hospitals earn this designation and MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center is one of them!
History of our Journey to Magnet
Franklin Square Hospital was one of 41 U.S. hospitals identified in 1981 as having the characteristics of magnetism in the original study, Magnet Hospitals: Attraction and Retention of Professional Nurses, published by the American Academy of Nursing in 1983 (McClure et al., 1983). It was appropriate that we recapture this spirit and seek formal designation as a Magnet hospital.
We adopted the Forces of Magnetism as our framework for professional practice. These rigorous standards guided our strategic decisions as we created a work environment worthy of Magnet recognition. Conferred by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, magnet is the highest level of recognition a hospital can achieve for excellence in nursing; it requires us to continuously examine our culture and infrastructure and demonstrate that we meet rigorous standards.
The Model for Magnet
- Visionary, inspiring, strategic and engaged nursing leaders at all levels
- Access to information, resources and support
- Direct care nurse opportunity to take advantage of these
- Shared decision-making structure that empowers the direct care nurse
Exemplary Professional Practice
- Competitive salaries; Creative, flexible staffing
- Nurses are accountable for coordination of care, and practice autonomously
- Strong community and interdisciplinary partnerships
New Knowledge and Innovation
- Nursing practice is based on evidence
- Nursing science, learning and discovery is advanced through research
- Magnet hospitals mentor other hospitals
- Clinical outcomes and satisfaction with care are measured and benchmarked
- Nursing research is published and disseminated