- Orthopedic Oncology
- Orthopedic Surgery
- benign neoplasm bone
- bone cyst
- bone mass
- bone sarcoma
- bone tumor
- brown tumor
- chondromyxoid fibroma
- ewings sarcoma
- fibrous cortical defect
- fibrous dysplasia
- giant cell tumor of the bone
- histiocytosis of bone
- malignant fibrous histiocytoma (mfh)
- malignant lymphomas of bone
- metastatic bone disease
- multiple enchondromatosis
- multiple myeloma
- musculoskeletal tumor
- non ossifying fibroma
- osteoid osteoma
- pathological fracture
- skeletal metastasis
- spine mets
- biopsy of mass
- bone allograft
- bone autograft
- bone cancer surgery
- cancer surgery
- joint replacement and reconstructive surgery
- limb sparing surgery
- radiofrequency ablation of metastatic spine tumors
- skeletal reconstruction
- total hip replacement
- total knee replacement
Dr. Brock Adams is an orthopaedic surgeon with subspecialty training in orthopaedic oncology. He is a member of the MedStar Orthopaedic Institute and performs surgery at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. He focuses on the treatment of bone and soft-tissue tumors, both benign and malignant. He is trained in limb-sparing surgery and also has interests in the treatment of metastatic disease to the bone, musculoskeletal infections, and complex limb reconstruction. He treats both children and adults.
Dr. Adams completed his medical degree at the Medical College of Wisconsin and his residency training at the State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn. His fellowship training was completed at MedStar Washington Hospital Center.
In addition to clinical practice, Dr. Adams also participates in multiple areas of research within the fields of orthopaedics and orthopaedic oncology. He and his family live in Washington, D.C.
- Fellowship Program: MedStar Washington Hospital Center (2013)
- Residency Program: SUNY Downstate Medical Center (2012)
- Medical School: Medical College of Wisconsin (2007)
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
Kelly MR, Argintar EH, Adams BW. “Adding Mass and Losing Strength: When Weightlifting Gains Don’t Add up.” E-poster presentation AMSSM Annual Meeting, Virtual Meeting, April 2021.
Krumme J, Adams B, et al. “Radiolucent Implants for fixation of Impending and Pathologic Fractures.” Accepted, pending publication Orthopedics.
Krumme J, Adams B, et al. “Outcomes of cryosurgery utilizing an argon cryoprobe.” E-poster presentation MSTS Annual Meeting, E-meeting, October 2020.
Krumme J, Adams B, et al. “Early failures utilizing the photodynamic bone stabilization system in pathologic and impending fractures” E-poster presentation MSTS Annual Meeting, E-meeting, October 2020.
Abdel Al S, Van Horn A, Adams B, Henshaw R. “Oncologic outcomes in octogenarian patients with primary soft tissue sarcomas.” Poster presentation Annual Medstar Research Symposium, Bethesda, MD, April 2018.
Abdel Al S, Van Horn A, Adams B, Henshaw R. “Oncologic outcomes in octogenarian patients with primary soft tissue sarcomas.” Poster presentation MSTS Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, October 2017.
Participant – Schneider PJ, et al. “Moving forward through consensus: a modified Delphi approach to determine the top research priorities in orthopaedic oncology.” Clin Orthop Relat Res, (2017)475:3044.
Kalloub A, Van Horn A, Adams B, Henshaw R. “Inflatable nails for treatment of pathologic fracture, a retrospective study.” Poster presentation MSTS Annual Meeting, Detroit, MI, October 2016.
Adams B, Wallace M, Meftah M, Henshaw R. “Venous Thromboembolism in Soft Tissue Sarcoma Patients Treated Without Chemoprophylaxis.” Paper presentation AAOS Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March 2015.
Adams B, Roboubi B, Henshaw R. “Acute onset of vancomycin anaphylaxis with DIC in an orthopaedic oncology patient despite prior repeated exposure.” Am J Orthop, 2015 Dec;44(12):E523-5.
Adams B, Wallace M, Meftah M, Henshaw R. “Venous Thromboembolism in Soft Tissue Sarcoma Patients Treated Without Chemoprophylaxis.” Annual Medstar Research Symposium, Columbia, MD, March 2014.
Xu S, Adams B, Yu X, Xu M. “Denosumab and giant cell tumor of bone – a review and future management considerations.” Current Oncology 2013 Oct.
Adams B, Wallace M, Meftah M, Henshaw R. “Venous Thromboembolism in Soft Tissue Sarcoma Patients Treated Without Chemoprophylaxis.” Musculosketetal Tumor Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, October 2013.
Adams B, Iofin I, Henshaw R. “Treatment of Enchondrosarcomas of the Distal Femur.” Medstar Washington Hospital Center Research Day, Washington, DC, April 2013.
Gallagher D, Adams B, El-Gendi H, Patel A. Grossman L, Berdia J, Korshunov Y, Goldman A. “Is Distal Locking Necessary? A Biomechanical Investigation of Intramedullary Nailing Constructs for Intertrochanteric Fractures.” J Orthop Trauma 2012 Dec 14.
Adams B, Goldman A. “Is Distal Locking Necessary? A Biomechanical Investigation of Intramedullary Nailing Constructs for Intertrochanteric Fractures.” Podium Presentation at AONA 2012 Challenges in Fracture Care Across Disciplines, Lake Buena Vista, FL, Feb 2012.
Baig, R, MD; Lozano-Calderon, SA, MD, PhD; vonStavenhagen, A; Adams, BW, MD; Cerabona, F, MD; Paulino, CB, MD; Metz, P; Merola, AA, MD. “Hip-Sacral Axis Measurement as Predictor of Lumbar Lordosis. An Intra and Interobserver Reliability Analysis.” IMAST 17th International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques, Toronto, Canada, 2010.
Hoch AZ, Adams B, Syed AQ, Syed AY, Clifford PS, Gutterman DD. “Folic acid supplementation improves endothelial function in eumenorrheic runners,” American College of Sports Medicine 52nd annual meeting, Nashville, TN, June 2005.
Hoch AZ, Adams B, Taylor C. “Prevalence of components of the female athlete triad,” 66th Annual Assembly of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Philadelphia, PA, October 2005.
Hoch AZ, Adams B, Syed AQ, Syed AY, Clifford PS, Gutterman DD. “Folic acid supplementation improves endothelial function in eumenorrheic runners.” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 37(5):S52, 2005.
Adams B, Hoch, AZ. “Does folic acid supplementation improve endothelial function?” Medical College of Wisconsin Research Day, Milwaukee, WI, September 2004.
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital