Dr. Megan Lockwood is a rheumatologist and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Georgetown University.
Dr. Lockwood cares for patients with all types of rheumatic disease, with expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders such as systemic lupus erythematosus, vasculitis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Dr. Lockwood's clinical and research interests are in connective tissue diseases, women's health, bone health, and medical education.
Dr. Lockwood sees patients in the rheumatology practice at Medstar Georgetown University Hospital. She is actively involved in clinical research trials to investigate therapies for systemic lupus erythematosus and systemic sclerosis.
Nationally, Dr. Lockwood currently serves as an elected member of the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) taskforce currently developing vaccination guidelines for patients with rheumatic disease. She was previously a member of the ACR’s Fellows-in-Training Subcommittee, part of the Committee on Training and Workforce. Dr. Lockwood also serves an Associate Editor of Rheumatology for theMednet.org and is active with ACR's Advocates for Arthritis. She continues as an invited faculty member for the Training-to-Teachers program at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Lockwood is from Portland, Oregon and attended Portland State University, where she earned a bachelor’s degree with Honors in Biology with minors in Chemistry and Physics and served as a volunteer with AmeriCorps. She then served in the United States Peace Corps as a science teacher in rural Ghana for over two years. She earned her medical degree at Case Western Reserve University, where she was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Dr. Lockwood completed residency in internal medicine at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), where she also served as the external UCSF chief resident at Kaiser Permanente San Francisco. While at UCSF, Dr. Lockwood participated in the Health Professions Education Pathway and received the Teaching Excellence Award for Cherished Housestaff, awarded annually by the graduating medical school class.
Dr. Lockwood completed her rheumatology fellowship training at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), the largest teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School. Given her interests in medical education and academic leadership, she helped develop a rural telemedicine educational program with the Rosebud Sioux Tribe in collaboration with the MGH Rural Health Leadership Program. Dr. Lockwood was also elected to the MGH Graduate Medical Education Committee and participated on the Mass General Brigham Trainee COVID-19 Reassignment Task Force.
Clinical areas of focus
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Conditions and procedures
Conditions I treat
- Acute Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Anti Neutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibodies
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Aortic Arteritis
- Arthritis Of Multiple Joints
- Behcet Syndrome
- Calcium Pyrophosphate Deposition Disease
- Cogan's Syndrome (CS)
- Cranial Arteritis
- Crystalline Arthritis
- Cutaneous Vasculitis
- Discoid Lupus Erythematosus
- Erythema Nodosum
- Familial Mediterranean Fever
- Giant Cell Arteritis
- Gonococcal Arthritis
- Granulomatosis With Polyangiitis
- Iga Vasculitis
- Igg 4 Related Diseases
- Inflammatory Myopathy
- Inflammatory Polyarthropathy
- Isolated Central Nervous System Vasculitis
- Joint Disorder Of Multiple Joints
- Joint Effusion
- Joint Swelling
- Lupus Nephritis
- Macrophage Activation Syndrome
- Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
- Monoarticular Arthritis
- Neonatal Lupus Erythematosus
- Periodic Fever Syndromes
- Polyarteritis Nodosa
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Positive Antinuclear Antibody (ANA) Test
- Post Infectious Arthritis
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Raynaud's Disease
- Reactive Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Still's Disease
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Systemic Scleroderma
- Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease
MedStar Medical Group accepts most major health insurance plans. If you are uncertain as to whether your individual health insurance plan is accepted at MedStar Medical Group, please call your insurance company.
List of insurance plans we accept
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA Indemnity
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Student Resources
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- United Healthcare Choice
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- Optimum Choice
- United Healthcare Navigate
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- CIGNA HMO Open Access (OA)
- Network OA
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA EPO
- PPO and PPO Plus
- Choice Fund PPO
- CFBSBC Blue Preferred PPO
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Open Access
- BlueChoice Open Access
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- Aetna Traditional Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Aetna Open Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice (POS)
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Aetna Elect Choice/ Open Access (POS)
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Aetna HMO-Open Access/Select OA/HealthFund/Health Network Option OA
- Innovation Health: POS
- Open HMO
- Opoen HMO Option
- Open EPO Plus
- Aetna Managed Choice Open Access (POS)
- Choice POS & Choice POS II
- Innovation Health: Open POS Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Select HMO/HealthFund/Health Network
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
Board Certification: American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine
Board Certification: American Board of Internal Medicine, Rheumatology
Fellowship Program: Massachusetts General Hospital (2021)
Residency Program: University of California San Francisco (2018)
Medical School: Case Western Reserve University (2015)
News and publications
- Lockwood MM, Wallwork RS, Lima K, Dua AB, Seo P, Bolster MB. Telemedicine in Adult Rheumatology: In Practice and In Training. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2021 Feb 8. Epub ahead of print.
- Stone JH, Frigault MJ, Serling-Boyd NJ, Fernandes AD, Harvey L, Foulkes AS, Horick NK, Healy BC, Shah R, Bensaci AM, Woolley AE, Nikiforow S, Lin N, Sagar M, Schrager H, Huckins DS, Axelrod M, Pincus MD, Fleisher J, Sacks CA, Dougan M, North CM, Halvorsen YD, Thurber TK, Dagher Z, Scherer A, Wallwork RS, Kim AY, Schoenfeld S, Sen P, Neilan TG, Perugino CA, Unizony SH, Collier DS, Matza MA, Yinh JM, Bowman KA, Meyerowitz E, Zafar A, Drobni ZD, Bolster MB, Kohler M, D'Silva KM, Dau J, Lockwood MM, Cubbison C, Weber BN, Mansour MK; BACC Bay Tocilizumab Trial Investigators. Efficacy of Tocilizumab in Patients Hospitalized with Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020 Dec 10;383(24):2333-2344.
- Lockwood MM, Miloslavsky E. What is Rheumatoid Arthritis? In: Bolster MB and Stern TA, eds. Facing Rheumatoid Arthritis. Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy; 2020.
- Shakil S, Lockwood M, Grady D. Persistence of Sexual Harassment and Gender Bias in Medicine Across Generations-Us Too. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 Mar 1;178(3):324-325.
- Lockwood MM, O'Malley PG. Admitting What We Do Not Know in Rheumatologic Disease: The First Step Toward Learning More. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 May 1;178(5):722-723.
- Lockwood MM, Graf, JD. Approach to Rheumatology Labs. In UCSF Hospitalist Handbook, 4th Edition, edited by Mookherjee S, Lai C, Rennke S. San Francisco: UCSF press, 2018.
- Lockwood MM, Goglin SE. Approach to Joint Pain. In UCSF Hospitalist Handbook, 4th Edition, edited by Mookherjee S, Lai C, Rennke S. San Francisco: UCSF press, 2018.
- Lockwood MM, Goglin SE. Rheumatoid Arthritis. In UCSF Hospitalist Handbook, 4th Edition, edited by Mookherjee S, Lai C, Rennke S. San Francisco: UCSF press, 2018.
- Lockwood MM, Goglin SE. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. In UCSF Hospitalist Handbook, 4th Edition, edited by Mookherjee S, Lai C, Rennke S. San Francisco: UCSF press, 2018.
- Lockwood MM, Senter C. Osteoarthritis. In UCSF Hospitalist Handbook, 4th Edition, edited by Mookherjee S, Lai C, Rennke S. San Francisco: UCSF press, 2018.
- Lockwood MM, Askin E. Oral Corticosteroids. In UCSF Hospitalist Handbook, 4th Edition, edited by Mookherjee S, Lai C, Rennke S. San Francisco: UCSF press, 2018.
- Lockwood MM, Gensler LS. Nonradiographic axial spondyloarthritis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2017 Dec;31(6):816-829.
- Lockwood MM, Smith GA, Tanenbaum J, Lubelski D, Seicean A, Pace J, Benzel EC, Mroz TE, Steinmetz MP. Screening via CT angiogram after traumatic cervical spine fractures: narrowing imaging to improve cost effectiveness. Experience of a Level I trauma center. J Neurosurg Spine. 2016 Mar;24(3):490-5.
- Alvin MD, Miller JA, Sundar S, Lockwood M, Lubelski D, Nowacki AS, Scheman J, Mathews M, McGirt MJ, Benzel EC, Mroz TE. The impact of preoperative depression on quality of life outcomes after posterior cervical fusion. Spine J. 2015 Jan 1;15(1):79-85.
- Lockwood M, Giraldi E. Commentary on "Rickenbacher et al. Fundoplication versus medical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease: systematic review and meta-analysis." Surg Endosc. doi: 10.1007/s00464-013-3140-z. Surg Endosc. 2014 Jun;28(6):2001.
- Eakin K, Baratz-Goldstein R, Pick CG, Zindel O, Balaban CD, Hoffer ME, Lockwood M, Miller J, Hoffer BJ. Efficacy of N-acetyl cysteine in traumatic brain injury. PLoS One. 2014 Apr 16;9(4).