Rachel K. Scott, MD, MPH, is the scientific director of women’s health research for MedStar Health Research Institute and the associate chair for research for the Women’s and Infants’ Services Department of MedStar Washington Hospital Center (MHWC), where she is a practicing obstetrician/gynecologist. Dr. Scott’s passion for women’s health and commitment to underserved women drives both her clinical career and her commitment to clinical and translational research. She currently divides her time between clinical care and research, primarily focused on human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and HIV prevention in women. Dr. Scott is the director of the Women’s Center for Positive Living, MWHC’s HIV Obstetrics and Gynecology practice within the Department of Women's and Infant Services. In addition to her clinical responsibilities, she is an associate professor at Georgetown University Medical Center and is active in resident and medical student education and mentorship. In recognition of her expertise in maternal health and HIV, Dr. Scott was selected to be a member of the national Department of Health and Human Services Panel on Treatment of Pregnant Women with HIV Infection and Prevention of Perinatal Transmission guidelines, which sets the preconception, antepartum, and postpartum clinical recommendations for women living with HIV and for HIV prevention/pre-exposure prophylaxis in women at risk for HIV.
Dr. Scott was awarded the Excellence in Teaching Award by the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics and the George E. Stevens Teaching Award by both MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MWHC for her role as a teacher and research mentor. As a resident, she was a two-time recipient of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine Teaching Award.
Dr. Scott is board certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. She is a fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Her medical degree is from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY. She then continued her medical training with an internship and residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Her master's degree in Public Health is from the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine in New Orleans, where she studied International Health and Development and participated in coursework conducted in Cuba and Guatemala. Dr. Scott is fluent in Spanish and English.
Clinical areas of focus
- Abnormal Pap Smear
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
- Pelvic Pain
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Prenatal Care
Conditions and procedures
Conditions I treat
- Abnormal Pap Smear
- Advanced Maternal Age
- Advanced Reproductive Age
- Anemia Of Pregnancy
- Anovulatory Bleeding
- Atrophic Vaginitis
- Atypical Squamous Cells Of Undetermined Significance On Pap Smear
- Bacterial Vaginosis
- Chlamydia Female Only
- Genital Herpes, Female
- Gynecologic Infections In Pregnancy
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
- High Risk For Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- HIV In Pregnancy
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Infectious Diseases In Pregnancy
- Irregular Menstruation
- Menstrual Disorders
- Pelvic Pain
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Postmenopausal Bleeding
- Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases In Pregnancy
- Uterine Bleeding
- Vaginal Atrophy
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Vaginal Candidiasis
- Vaginal Discharge
- Vaginal Dryness
- Vaginal Infections
- Vaginal Irritation
- Well Woman Visit
Procedures I perform
- Anal Pap Smear
- Antepartum And Postpartum Care
- Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) Testing
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Birth Control
- Birth Control Counseling
- Cervical Biopsy
- Cesarean Section
- Chlamydia Trachomatis Nucleic Acid Amplified Probe
- Contraceptive Counseling
- Contraceptive Implant
- Contraceptive Implant Removal
- Contraceptive Injection
- Contraceptive Ring Placement
- Contraceptive Ring Removal
- Endometrial Biopsy
- Family Planning
- Gynecological Exam
- High Risk Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Testing
- HIV Prevention
- HIV Testing
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Intrauterine Device (IUD) Counseling
- Intrauterine Device (IUD) Placement
- Intrauterine Device (IUD) Removal
- Labor And Delivery
- Long Acting Reversible Contraceptive
- Natural Birth
- Nexplanon Implant
- Nexplanon Implant Removal
- Obstetric Panel Including HIV
- Office Gynecology
- Oral Contraceptive
- Ovarian Cystectomy
- Pap Smear
- Post Partum Check Up
- Postpartum Care
- Pre Exposure Prophylaxis (PREP)
- Pregnancy Blood Test
- Pregnancy Glucose Tolerance Test
- Prenatal Care
- Prenatal Testing
- Preventative Care
- Preventative Women Healthcare
- Reproductive Health
- Routine Gynecological Care
- Suture Removal
- Vaginal Biopsy
- Vaginal Birth After Caesarean Section
- Vaginal Delivery
- Women's Health
MedStar Medical Group accepts most major health insurance plans. If you are uncertain as to whether your individual health insurance plan is accepted at MedStar Medical Group, please call your insurance company.
List of insurance plans we accept
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA Indemnity
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Student Resources
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- United Healthcare Choice
- CIGNA HMO Open Access (OA)
- Network OA
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA EPO
- PPO and PPO Plus
- Choice Fund PPO
- CFBSBC Blue Preferred PPO
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Open Access
- BlueChoice Open Access
- Aetna Traditional Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Aetna Open Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice (POS)
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Aetna Elect Choice/ Open Access (POS)
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Aetna HMO-Open Access/Select OA/HealthFund/Health Network Option OA
- Innovation Health: POS
- Open HMO
- Opoen HMO Option
- Open EPO Plus
- Aetna Managed Choice Open Access (POS)
- Choice POS & Choice POS II
- Innovation Health: Open POS Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Select HMO/HealthFund/Health Network
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)"
- CFBCBS EPO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std/Basic PPO/Blue Focus)
- Kaiser MD Medicaid MCO
- Kaiser Permanente Flexible Choice POS
- Kaiser Permanente Medicare Plus (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Kaiser Permanente Select
- Kaiser Permanente Signature
- Kaiser Permanente Signature-Added Choice
- Kaiser PermanenteSelect-Added Choice
- Kaiser Virginia Premier
- Medicare Fee for Service
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UHC Community Plan of MD
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)"
- UnitedHealthcare and AARP Medicare Complete Plans/ UHC Group Medicare Advantage Plans HMO, POS, PPO"
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Adv/Special Needs Plans
- Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage Signature and Select (aka Senior Advantage)"
Board Certification: American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology
Residency Program: Albert Einstein College of Medicine (2010)
Internship Program: Albert Einstein College of Medicine (2007)
Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine (2006)
- Loan Repayment Award, NIH, 2019-2021 George E. Stevens Teaching Award, 2014 Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics Excellence in Teaching Award, 2014
News and publications
i. Original Papers in Refereed Journals
- Scott RK, Deyarmond M, Marwitz S, Huang JC, Moriarty P, Visconti A, Beverley J, Elion R, Coleman M, Hull SJ. Implementation of an Educational Intervention to Improve HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Services for Women in an urban Sexual Health Clinic. AIDS, Patient Care, STDs. In press.
- Scott RK, Hull SJ, Huang J C, Ye P, Lotke P, Beverly J, Moriarty P, Balaji D, Ward A, Holiday J, Brant A, Elion R, Visconti A, Coleman, M. Intention to initiate HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among cisgender women in a high HIV prevalence U.S. city. Women’s Health Issues. In press.
- Brooks K, Scott RK, Capparelli E, Best B, Momper J. Translating Clinical Pharmacology Data in Pregnancy to Evidence-Based Guideline Recommendations: Perspectives from the HIV Field. The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2023, June 14. 63: S188-S196. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcph.2240
- Nachega JB, Scarsi KK, Gandhi M, Scott RK, Mofenson LM, Archary M, Nachman S, Decloedt E, Geng E, Wilson L, Rawat A, Mellors J. Long-Acting Antiretrovirals and HIV Treatment Adherence: A Game Changer? Lancet HIV. In Press.
- Londoño Tobon A, McNicholas E, Clare CA, Ireland LD, Payne JL, Moore Simas TA, Scott RK, Becker M, Byatt N. The End of Roe v. Wade: Implications for Women's Mental Health and Care. Frontiers Psychiatry. In Press.
- Burns JA, Hull SJ, Inuwa A, Moriarty P, Scott RK. Understanding Retention in the HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Cascade among Cisgender Women. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2023 Mar 24;. doi: 10.1089/apc.2023.0009. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 36961388.
- Brant AR, Reeves MF, Ye PP, Scott RK, Floyd S, Tefera E, Lotke PS. Gabapentin as an adjunct for pain management during dilation and evacuation: A double-blind randomized controlled trial. Contraception. 2022 Oct 12;. doi:10.1016/j.contraception.2022.09.130.
- Thadhani R, Lemoine E, Rana S, Constantine M, Calsavara V, Boggess K, Wylie B, Simas T, Louis T, Espinoza J, Gaw S, Murtha A, Wiegand S, Gollin Y, Singh D, Silver, R, Durie D, Panda B, Norwitz E, Burd I, Plunkett B, Scott RK, Gaden A, Bautista M, Chang Y, Diniz M, Karmanchi SA, Kilpatrick S. Circulating Amgiogenic Factor Levels in Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy. NEJM Evidence. 2022 Nov 9; https://doi.org/10.1056/EVIDoa2200161
- Hull SJ, Brant A, Ye P, Lotke P, Duan X, Nalls P, Huang J, Scott RK. Understanding psychosocial determinants of PrEP uptake among cisgender women experiencing heightened HIV risk: Implications for multilevel communication intervention. Health Communication. 2022 DOI: 10.1080/10410236.2022.2145781
- Rendell S, Schmidt H, Neergaard R, Nkwihoreze H, Barbati Z, Short WR, Rana AI, Sheth AN, Scott RK, Sethi S, Momplaisir FM. Integrating ART adherence support technologies in the care of pregnant and postpartum people with HIV: a qualitative study. Implement Sci Commun. 2022 Aug 2;3(1):85. doi: 10.1186/s43058-022-00331-0. PubMed PMID: 35918738; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC9344442.
- Scott RK*, Hull SJ, Huang JC, Coleman M, Ye P, Lotke P, Beverley J, Moriarty P, Balalji D, Ward A, Holiday J, Brant A, Cameron M, Elion R, Visconti A. Factors Associated with Intention to Initiate Pre-exposure Prophylaxis in Cisgender Women at High Behavioral Risk for HIV in Washington D.C. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 2022 Jul;51(5):2613-2624. doi: 10.1007/s10508-021-02274-4. Epub 2022 May 27. PubMed PMID: 35622077; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC9308717.
- Al-Kouatly HB, Scott RK, Makhamreh MM, Cunningham G, Visclosky T, Ingram BO, Inagaki K, Rakhmanina N, Kirmse B. Metabolomics in Placental Tissue from Women Living with HIV. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2021 Dec 13;. doi: 10.1089/AID.2021.0056. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 34498948.
- Hull SJ, Tessema H, Thuku J, Scott RK. Providers PrEP: Identifying Primary Healthcare Providers' Biases as Barriers to Provision of Equitable PrEP Services. JAIDS. 2021 Oct 1;88(2):165-72. DOI: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002750
- Scott RK*, Hull SJ, Richards CR, Klemmer K, Salmeron F, Huang JC. Awareness, acceptability, and intention to initiate HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among pregnant women. AIDS Care. DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2021.1916870
- Rael CT, Das D, Bauermeister J, Scott RK, Hendrix CW. Understanding Women's Vaginal Douching Behaviors and Practices for Consideration in the Development of a Potential Future Vaginal Microbicide Douche for HIV Prevention: A Systematic Review of the Literature. AIDS and Behavior. 2021 May. DOI: 10.1007/s10461-021-03290-0. PMID: 33977356.
- Grill KB, Wang J, Scott RK, Benator D, D'Angelo LJ, Lyon ME. What Do Adults With HIV Want? End-of-Life Care Goals, Values and Beliefs by Gender, Race, Sexual Orientation. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2021 Jun;38(6):610-617. doi: 10.1177/1049909120988282. Epub 2021 Jan 19. PubMed PMID: 33464114; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC8085160.
- Koay WLA, Zhang J, Manepalli KV, Griffith CJ, Castel AD, Scott RK, Ferrer KT, Rakhmanina NY. Prevention of Perinatal HIV Transmission in an Area of High HIV Prevalence in the United States. J Pediatr. 2021 Jan;228:101-109. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.09.041. Epub 2020 Sep 21. PubMed PMID: 32971142; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7752838.
- Lyon ME, Squires L, Scott RK, Benator D, Briggs L, Greenberg IH, D'Angelo LJ, Cheng YI, Wang J. Effect of FAmily CEntered (FACE) advance care planning on longitudinal congruence in end-of-life treatment preferences: A Randomized Controlled Trial. AIDS and Behavior. May, 2020; DOI: 10.1007/s10461-020-02909-y.
- Glickman C, Le H, Robertson HA, Arbit R, Patchen L, Danielson A, Fries M, Scott RK, Biel MG. Black Women’s Preferences for Embedding Mental Health Services in An Obstetrics Setting. Journal of Maternal and Child Health. 2020; 5(4).
- Lyon ME, Squires L, D’Angelo LJ, Benator D, Scott RK, Greenberg IH, Tanjutco P, Turner MM, Weixel TE, Cheng YI, Wang J. FAmily CEntered (FACE) Advance Care Planning among African-American and non-African-American Adults Living with HIV in Washington, DC: A Randomized Controlled Trial to Increase Documentation & Health Equity. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019 Mar;57(3):607-616. PMID: 30472318
- Curtin KB, Cheng YI, Wang J, Scott RK, Squires L, Benator DA, Lyon ME; Palliative Care Consortiums. Quality of life of persons living with HIV and congruence with surrogate decision-makers. Qual Life Res. 2019 Jan;28(1):47-56. PMID: 30219937.
- Scott RK*, Praditpan P, Tanjutco P, Laidlaw E, Schladen M. Pregnancy Spacing in Women Living with HIV: A Series of Informational Interviews. The Qualitative Report. 2018;23(5):1055-74.
- Scott RK*, Crochet C, Huang C. Universal HIV rapid-screening of pregnant patients admitted for delivery: a cost effectiveness analysis. Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 2018, Article ID 6024698, 11 pages, 2018. doi:10.1155/2018/6024698
- Crochet S, Huang C, Fries M, Scott RK*. Implementation of a universal rapid human Immunodeficiency Virus screening program on labor and delivery. Ther Adv Infect Dis. 2018 Mar;5(2):47-54. PMID: 29468056
- Scott RK*, Chakhtoura N, Burke MM, Cohen R, Kreitchmann R. Delivery After 40 Weeks of Gestation in Pregnant Women With Well-Controlled Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2017 Sep;130(3):502-510. PMID: 28796679
- Scott RK*, Friday KP, Rosenthal E, Darko M, Tefera E. Condom Knowledge and Negotiation in Women Living with and without Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Journal of Women’s Health and Gynecology. 2017 March 22; 4(2):1-8.
- Scott RK*, Carter-Brooks CM, Desale S, Southern GK, Chahine EB. Adherence to the Single-Dose Methotrexate Protocol for the Management of Ectopic Pregnancy in an Inner City Population: A retrospective cohort and protocol analysis. Journal of Women's Health and Gynecology. 2017 February 23; 1:1-10.
- Kimmel A, Wang J, Scott RK, Briggs L, Lyon ME. FAmily CEntered (FACE) advance care planning: Study design and methods for a patient-centered communication and decision-making intervention for patients with HIV/AIDS and their surrogate decision-makers. Contemp Clin Trials. 2015 Jul;43:172-8. PMID: 26044463
- Mobarakeh M, Saied AR, Scott RK. Efficacy of Corticosteroids in Prevention of Fat Embolism Syndrome in Patients with Long Bone Fracture. Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2008; 3(4).
ii. Reviews or Editorials in Refereed Journals
- Scott RK*. Adherence among post-partum women living with HIV. Lancet HIV. 2020 Mar;7(3):e152-e154. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3018(19)30403-5. Epub 2019 Dec 20. PubMed PMID: 31870677.
iii. Books or Chapters in Books
- Scott RK, Best B, Mirochnick M, Rakhmanina N. Neonatal and Pediatric Pharmacology: Therapeutic Principals in Practice. 5th ed. Aranda JV, van den Anker JN editors. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 2021. Chapter 32: Pharmacology of Antiretroviral Drugs in Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women and their Newborns
- Scott RK, Woo J. CURRENT Medical Diagnosis and Treatment 2019. 58 ed. Papadakis MA, McPhee SJ, Rabow MW, editors. New York: McGraw-Hill Education; 2018. Chapter 18, Gynecologic Disorders
vi. Other Publications
- Scott RK. HIV and Pregnancy BMJ Best Practice. 2016 - present (updated annually) http://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-us/556
- Scott RK, Folan J. PrEP a provider’s guide. https://providers.bedsider.org/articles/prep-a-provider-s-guide