What's new with wellbeing?
Learn about our new center for wellbeing
Read about our purpose, goals, leaders, and more.
Join the next stress first aid training
Part 1 is offered Jan. 27 and part 2 takes place Feb 24.
Access backup care for your family
Use backup care for children and adults when plans change.
What's here for you?
At MedStar Health, we prioritize the wellbeing of our remarkable providers and associates. The goal of this web page is to ensure that you have the resources you need to succeed and thrive while working at MedStar Health.
The MedStar Health Center for Wellbeing team organized this page into six main sections to serve you:
Wellbeing resources: Explore opportunities with peers for you, at work, and at home—and a wellbeing advocate award program
Provider services: Leverage unique offerings, development, education, and a wellness champions network
Self-screening: Anonymously validate measures of burnout, anxiety, distress, and more
Health resources: Take advantage of support with mindfulness and relaxation, self-care, resilience, and exercise
About us: Learn more about the MedStar Health Center for Wellbeing that drives this resource hub and much more
Contact us: Review key contacts shared here, at-a-glance
For more resources focused on COVID-19, visit the MedStar Health COVID-19 information page.
MedStar Health has compiled a list of resources to support the wellbeing of our providers and associates. Below you will find categorized helpful links and resources.
Care for the Caregiver | Peer to Peer Support
The Care for the Caregiver team of nurses, physicians, quality, safety, risk associates, chaplains, social workers, and peers is here to support you in your time of need. The team provides free confidential 24/7 care to all associates and physicians system-wide.
- Real-time attention using a nonjudgmental presence, focusing on listening and understanding
- Informal debriefings, exploring the meaning of events and offering resiliency-building techniques
- Information about additional services through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) or crisis intervention services for larger scale stress reduction
Points of Contact
Voluntary COVID-19 Testing Wellness Program
Voluntary COVID-19 testing is available for all asymptomatic associates and physicians.
To schedule an appointment, contact the Voluntary COVID-19 Testing Wellness Program Call Center at 877-384-3530, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Your appointment should be during your non-working hours. No walk-ins are accepted.
The COVID-19 Testing Wellness Call Center will schedule your testing at one of 10 sites across our system:
- Hospitals: MedStar Washington Hospital Center, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Center, MedStar Harbor Hospital, MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital
- Testing tents: MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
- Ambulatory locations: MedStar Health Bel Air Medical Campus, MedStar Medical Group at Adams Morgan, MedStar Health at Brandywine, MedStar Shah Medical Group at J. Patrick Jarboe Medical Center
Reporting of Test Results
The voluntary testing uses an antigen COVID-19 test. Results will be provided within 48 hours. You should continue working your regular shift schedule while awaiting your test results.
Associates and physicians with positive COVID-19 test results will be contacted by Occupational Health and provided guidance for next steps, which include additional testing and not reporting to work. Negative results will be reported through a text messaging chatbot tool. Results will also be available on the myMedStar Patient Portal.
All associates and physicians should continuously self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and contact the Occupational Health Call Center at 844-354-3705 should any symptoms present.
Employee Assistance Program
Expedited Mental Health Access for MedStar Health Providers and Associates
We recognize how important it is for you to take care of yourself, even as you are busy taking care of others. Through this initiative with the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s Department of Psychiatry, MedStar Health providers and associates can establish contact with a mental health clinician within 1-2 business days of the initial call. The mental health clinician will identify the issues and either provide individual support immediately, or, if deemed helpful, will refer the associate to a mental health provider within Georgetown Psychiatry. Providers with expertise in adult, child, adolescent, and family mental health are available.
To set up an appointment, call 202-944-5400 and choose option 2. We will ensure that we get in touch within 1-2 business days. For urgent needs related to mental health access, please contact BHS at 866-765-3277. (Note BHS is the MedStar Health employee assistance program.)
Expanded Support Services for Associates and Family Members
The BHS team is here to help support those who are worried, anxious, or uncertain during this time. Both you and your family members can utilize this important support system in a variety of way found here:
Free Meditation and Mental Health Resources
- Smiling Mind offers mindfulness programs for adults, parents, healthcare workers and more
- Soothing meditations and sleep meditations from Calm
- Burnout and other support through the Medical Society of DC's Physician Health Program
- Peer Support Line
- COVID Coach: a government-developed, free mobile app, designed to provide resources and enhance emotional support during this pandemic. The app is private and secure, no email account or password is required, and user data are not collected. This app is intended for EVERYONE in the community and is available for iOS and Android.
- MedStar Mind Body Medicine Meditation Series (Please note: You must be logged into the MedStar Health Network to access this resource on Starport)
- Virtual wellness opportunities
Stress First AidStress First Aid is a flexible model of small, manageable steps for self-help and peer support for managing stress that affects us at work. Explore the resources below to expand your knowledge of Stress First Aid and stay alert for regular training opportunities designed to deepen your knowledge of the Stress Continuum and the 7 C’s of Stress First Aid.
- Sign up for upcoming Stress First Aid training
- Stream an overview of Stress First Aid and MedStar Health's wellness resources
- Access the Stress First Aid pocket card
- Stream the Scrub In podcast episode on Stress First Aid
- To request more information or to pre-register for a future Stress First Aid training cohort, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Scrub In PodcastScrub In is a wellbeing-related podcast hosted by MedStar Health’s Crystal Morales, a registered nurse with a background in critical care, patient safety, and high reliability, who is now the director of nursing wellbeing at MedStar Health. Crystal talks with healthcare professionals with the goal of creating a community where we share information, ideas, and true insights that either inspire, inform…or possibly entertain! Listen here.
Sometimes, there is so much information out there that it is easy to miss some of the resources you need the most. On Wellness Rounds we bring the resources to you. Wellness teams conduct in-person rounding to check-in on associates, to provide information about resources, to help with wellbeing and self-care, and to provide immediate support, if needed. The teams round periodically and can also be requested to visit specific units.
If you’d like to request a Wellness Rounds session for your group or on your unit, let us know! Email: email@example.com
We know that your job is incredibly stressful and sometimes you need a break or a healthy snack on the go. We are setting up Recharge Stations around your hospital to serve as a place for you to recharge and find out more about the wellbeing resource available to you and your families.
Enhance Wellbeing with Healthy Choices and Easy Ordering
Manage mealtimes with healthy choices and efficient ordering from MedStar Health hospital cafés. The Bite by Sodexo mobile app allows associates to customize and place orders, pay, and receive a receipt digitally. The app also enables preordering food for a scheduled pickup time. To use Bite by Sodexo, create an account and link a personal credit card. Search “MedStar” to select your hospital location. The app is available in the Apple or Google Play app stores. Bite by Sodexo is owned and managed by Sodexo, the food and nutrition partner of MedStar Health.
Child and Adult Care Services—Care@Work Program
MedStar Health is providing heavily subsidized child and adult care services for associates and physicians, allowing you to remain active in your role. We have contracted with the Care@Work program to make available unlimited referrals for child and adult care providers through Care.com For urgent care needs, the program provides subsidized, vetted in-home care for children and adults, and child care services at participating centers across the region. This benefit is now covered by MedStar Health and available for 10 days of subsidized coverage with a copay of $8/hour for in-home care or $15/day per child at participating child care centers. Enroll at MedStar.Care.com using your MedStar Health email address to validate your employment. Enrolling with a MedStar Health email address also provides acess to Premium membership perks, including searching the Care.com database for one-time or recurring babysitters, pet sitters, tutors, and more.
Virtual School Care Needs
The Care.com Backup Care benefit may be used to find vetted and subsidized tutors, learning pod teachers, nanny shares, or babysitters to support your children while you work during these unprecedented times. Visit MedStar.Care.com for a school-related resource guide.
External Child Care Resources
The following free resources are meant to serve as a guide and are not explicitly endorsed by MedStar Health:
Financial Wellness Resources
Managing finances can be stressful, especially in times like this. Through MedStar’s retirement vendor, Prudential, review the following financial wellness resources for support.
- Access your personal Prudential account, complete retirement plan enrollment, manage your elections, and more on the myHR Retirement Savings Plans page. To access your account off the MedStar Health network, please visit myRetirement.MedStarHealth.org
- Review financial education content delivered by Prudential. Once logged into your personal retirement account page, visit My Financial Life for tools, to plan for life events, and to tailor the content on your feed. Outside of your account, browse Prudential’s financial education page for additional financial wellness content.
- Connect with Prudential's dedicated retirement counselor serving your area for a personalized review of your retirement strategy.
- For additional retirement plan support, contact Prudential 833-738-6787 (833-RET-MSTR).
- Please view the Prudential welcome video for a short overview of what's available to you.
COVID-19 Tips and Guides
MedStar eVisitOur telehealth platform, MedStar eVisit, provides quick, convenient access to trusted medical providers, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week from any mobile device or computer. MedStar eVisit may be used for the diagnosis and treatment of common illnesses like common cold, flu, sinus infections, pink eye, and more. In addition, MedStar eVisit providers are now prepared to screen for cases of COVID-19. To sign up or log in, download the free iOS or Android mobile app OR visit medstarhealth.org/MedStar-Health-eVisit.
Our team has established the MedStar Health Wellbeing Advocate Award to recognize those who support associate wellbeing and efforts to develop associates’ wellness throughout the system. Click each hyperlink below to learn more:
- Review award winners:
- Q1: Arlene Sheets
- Q2: Dr. Theresa (Terri) Stone
- "Dr. Stone has been recognized for touching more than 170 colleagues with virtual wellbeing initiatives such as Peaceful Pause Tuesday – a weekly 15-minute mindfulness activity – and bringing wellbeing speakers to her teams, plus years of leadership for both patients and associates in the integrative and culinary medicine fields."
- Q2: Dr. Arnold Raizon
- "Dr. Raizon is recognized for creating numerous wellbeing programs and events for the radiology practice, including Daily, Early Morning, Meditation and Check-In, Gratitude Journalizing, Daily Dose of Wellness emails plus wellness book clubs and chats. He is known for creating group events like guided hikes, virtual cooking and wine tasting classes, and a mindful dinner."
- Q3: Donna Keegan
- "Donna is credited with leading the MedStar Union Memorial Hospital wellness committee for numerous years, prioritizing the health needs of associates through many changes across the system and locally. Donna exudes an energy, collaborative approach, and attention to detail that has ensured the success of her wellness committee and allowed other committees to leverage resources originating at Union Memorial."
- Q4: Loren Stauffer
- Loren Stauffer, performance management coordinator for MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital, wins the Wellbeing Advocate Award for having relaunched Care for the Caregiver during a pandemic and has continued to build, train, and develop the program at her entity. On top of her regular duties, she also sits on the wellness committee and conducts monthly scheduled wellness rounds, where she promotes wellness resources and education, and encourages others to take advantage of such offerings. Loren has been instrumental in the success of these programs.
- Review award winners:
Q1: Arlene Sheets
Awarded for her "commitment and dedication to her colleagues, which proved instrumental in making MedStar Health a place where we are all proud to work. A consistent willingness to go above and beyond to support the wellbeing of associates and making a tremendous and long-lasting impact."
Q2: Dr. Theresa (Terri) Stone
Q2: Dr. Arnold Raizon
Q3: Donna Kegan
Q4: Loren Stauffer
Mindfulness and Relaxation
- Heal Thyself: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine by Saki Santorelli
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana
- The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Full Catastrophe Living (Revised Edition): Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- A mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook by Bob Stahl, PhD and Elisha Goldstein, PhD
- 10% Happier
- Cleveland Clinic Stress Free Now Meditations
- Cleveland Clinic Wellness Stress Free Now Meditations for Healers Happier
- Insight Timer
- Smiling Mind
- The Mindfulness App
- Take a Break
- The Resilient Practitioner, 3rd Edition by Thomas Skovholt Finding Balance in a Medical Life by Lee Lipsenthal
- Staying Human During Residency Training by Allan Peterkin
- Secondary Traumatic Stress: Self-Care Issues for Clinicians, Researchers, & Educator, 2nd Edition edited by B. Hudnall Stamm
- Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success by Brad Stulberg and Steve Magness
- Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers: The Acclaimed Guide to Stress, Stress-Related Diseases, and Coping, 3rd Edition by Robert M. Sapolsky
- Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety by Kelly G. Wilson, PhD and Troy DuFrene
- Coping with Anxiety and Stress Disorders Harvard Medical School
- The Mindful Way Through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life by Susan Orsillo, PhD and Lizabeth Roemer, PhD
- The Mindful Way through Depression by Williams, Teasdale, Segal, and Kabat-Zinn
- The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Depression: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy to Move Through Depression and Create a Life Worth Living (Self-Help Workbook) by Patricia J. Robinson and Kirk D. Strosahl
- What to Do When Someone You Love Is Depressed, Second Edition: A Practical, Compassionate, and Helpful Guide by Susan K. Golant
- How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me: One Person's Guide to Suicide Prevention by Susan Rose Blauner
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence – From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror by Judith Herman
- Mood Coach
- Virtual Hope Box
- PTSD Coach
- CBT-I Coach (for insomnia) Pacifica
- Depression CBT Help Guide
This web resource is fueled by the leaders who now drive the MedStar Health Center for Wellbeing. The Center further develops and promotes our innovative and supportive wellbeing culture that prioritizes optimal health, professional fulfillment, and quality of life to help MedStar Health serve as a best place to work in health care.
The following is key contact information shared throughout this page, at-a-glance:
|MedStar Health wellbeing programs and resources-general inquires/more info|
Care for the Caregiver contact info
COVID-19 Testing Voluntary Wellness Program
877-384-3530, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Occupational Health Call Center
Mental health: Expedited access for MedStar Health providers and associates
202-944-5400, option 2 (1-2 business day response time)
More urgent needs: BHS at 866-765-3277 (Note: BHS is the Medstar Health employee assistance program)
Mental health: Expanded support services for associates and family members (BHS)
portal.bhsonline.com (Username: MedStar; see online request form)
Wellness Rounds contact
Retirement plan support (Prudential)
Wellness Champions contact