Where you make innovation happen
The MInnovations program, managed by MedStar Inventor Services, celebrates and shares unique and innovative tools, processes, and other solutions created by and for MedStar Health associates to support day-to-day work.
Search and share tools, processes, and innovative solutions that help you do your job better in our marketplace.
What is a MInnovation?
MInnovations are innovative solutions associates have developed that help them do their job better or more efficiently, reduce errors, or improve patient care. MInnovations can be anything from a creative way to collect or display information, a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, or a product you've adapted to help you be more efficient.
The MInnovation program is open to all MedStar Health associates.
MInnovations must be:
- Something you've created and are currently using (i.e. does not need to be engineered and developed)
- Can be easily transferred or taught to other MedStar Health associates (through file download or instructions to build themselves)
- Conform to current acceptable clinical practices
Benefitting patients and clinicians
MedStar Inventor Services developed this program to recognize the innovation potential of frontline staff, consistent with safety and standard practices. The MInnovations program was created to:
- Capture the small everyday innovations of MedStar Health associates that help them do their jobs better and more efficiently
- Harness the intellectual capital and celebrate the innovative spirit of MedStar Health associates
- Scale the use of an innovative idea from one to many
- Increase the number of inventions within the MedStar Health system that may have commercial potential
A MInnovation is an innovative, practical solution created by a MedStar Health associate, which is already in use, can be easily used by other MedStar Health associates, and conforms to current safety guidelines and clinical practices.
For example, members of the MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center Behavioral Health team discovered that paintball arm guards offered improved protection and better mobility while working with agitated patients than armguards designed for healthcare settings. This discovery was later designated as a MInnovation and shared with other teams.
- Our MInnovations Assessment Team will assess your MInnovation to make sure it is safe and conforms to standard practices and MedStar Health policies.
- The MInnovations Assessment Team is composed of associates from Nursing, Nurse Educators, Quality and Safety, and Human Factors. If you would like to be a part of the MInnovations Assessment Team, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Possible assessment results:
- Go! Your MInnovation is creative, safe, and conforms to clinical practice. It will be added to the Marketplace.
- Whoa. We need to do a little more research on the issue your MInnovation is solving or a redesign is needed to make your MInnovation safe and/or conform to clinical practice.
- No. Your MInnovation has safety issues, does not conform to clinical practice or we already have a product that addresses the issue your MInnovation solves.
- So? So many MedStar Health associates already use your MInnovation that it's considered standard practice. Get to work on your next MInnovation.
- MInnovations are reviewed anonymously. A member of the MInnovations team at MI2 will follow up with the results of the assessment and to prepare your MInnovation for the Marketplace. If your MInnovation has safety issues, we will follow up discreetly and ask that you discontinue use of your MInnovation.