What is the COVID Recovery Program?
The COVID Recovery Program is a collaboration between physicians and medical specialists across all MedStar Health hospitals. Our team aims to support patients recovering from:
- Persistent shortness of breath
- Thinking, focus, and memory issues
We will support your recovery by offering a wide range of services from a team of medical specialists that will help you return to your normal activities as soon as possible. Our team is led by physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians and advanced practice providers who specialize in the rehabilitation of patients with a variety of physical impairments. This team will collaborate with your doctor and the specialists you need to manage your unique COVID-19 recovery needs. A navigator and community health advocate will assist you with scheduling and managing your plan of care. Visits may be via telemedicine or onsite at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital.
Who is appropriate for the COVID Recovery Program?
- Patients interested in this program should be at least 6 weeks from the start of COVID symptoms and should have documentation of at least one positive COVID-19 test. Your doctor can also state that your symptoms indicated COVID without a positive test.
- Patients less than 18 years old will be handled on a case by case basis
What Can I Expect if I Want to Participate?
Our goal is to provide a convenient one-stop service, bringing resources and care to you.
- After receiving your referral, a member of the team will reach out to explain the process and schedule your first visit.
- Prior to your appointment, you will be asked to complete a survey that includes registration information and details about your current symptoms. As you continue with the program you may be asked to complete additional assessments about your symptoms to see change over time.
- Your initial and ongoing visits may be virtual using your smart phone, internet, or may be in person based on your needs.
- Our team will develop a plan-of-care with you and help you coordinate visits and follow-up.
We understand you and your family have been through a life-changing experience with all the challenges a new virus and pandemic bring, and we are ready to help.