Set To Open New Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Baltimore, MD—(January 15, 2016)—MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center will soon unveil its $7.8 million, 23-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) with an open house and ribbon cutting event Friday, January 15, 2016. The newly constructed 16,000 square feet of space is a level III NICU in eastern Baltimore County.
A special “Media Day” will be held January 14th from 10 am till 2 pm, for unobstructed taping, tours and interviews.
Under the leadership of Fernando Mena, MD, chief of Neonatology at MedStar Franklin Square, more than 300 of the hospital’s tiniest patients are treated annually in the existing 25-year old NICU. The expansion will improve privacy and safety for the babies and their families.
Funding for the new NICU was driven by the hospital foundation NICU campaign which launched in 2012. The campaign exceeded its $4 million philanthropic goal, thanks in large part to the hospital auxiliary’s million-dollar pledge commitment and a million-dollar bond from the state.
“I couldn’t be more proud of what truly is the result of the culminated efforts of many people,” said Dr. Mena. “The dedication to see this through means now having the best opportunity for our patients to thrive, and to support our parents in a private, comfortable, healing environment. This is a progressive move for the hospital, and for the community.”
Replacing the traditional open floor layout, the new private rooms will allow parents the privacy and space needed to bond and care for their baby. Seclusion for each patient will also create a more quiet and calming environment, reducing stress and aiding in the healing process.
Highlights of the new NICU include:
- 23 total beds, including 19 private rooms and accommodations for multiples
- A family area in each room, with extra seating and pullout couches for overnight stays
- A dedicated family lounge and reception area with kitchen and eating areas
- Enclosed outdoor garden where families can spend quality time together in a safe and healing environment
- Ample natural light with direct views to the exterior and garden
- Multidisciplinary team approach, including specialized neonatal nurses and nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, social workers, nutritionists, audiologists, and occupational, physical, and speech therapists to provide the best care to sick newborns
- Baby-Friendly designation ensures special initiatives are in place to improve the rate of exclusive breastfeeding—resulting in 80 percent of mothers being able to provide breast milk to their infants while in the NICU
- Contracted pediatric subspecialty services with specialists trained to handle the most complex high-risk conditions including pediatric surgery, genetics, neurology, gastroenterology, endocrinology and pediatric cardiology
Watch a time-lapse video of the construction of the new NICU below:
See the ribbon cutting ceremony during the open house and unveiling event for the new NICU on January 15, 2016:
About MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center is a not-for-profit 378-bed community teaching hospital located in the White Marsh section of eastern Baltimore County, Maryland. MedStar Franklin Square provides many medical and healthcare services, including a broad range of healthcare specialties, advanced technologies and treatments not traditionally found at community hospitals. The hospital is ranked third in admissions among all Maryland hospitals and is first in Emergency Department visits with more than 108,000 visits annually. MedStar Franklin Square is accredited by the Joint Commission and certified as a Primary Stroke Center and has earned some of the nation’s most prestigious quality awards including Magnet Designation for excellence in nursing, the Excellence Award for Quality Improvement from the Delmarva Foundation and inclusion in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospital specialty ranking for four consecutive years. With more than 3,300 employees, MedStar Franklin Square is one of the largest employers in Baltimore County. Visit medstarfranklinsquare.org for more information.