Baltimore, MD—(May 2, 2016)—MedStar Union Memorial Hospital will hold its inaugural “Spring Into Wellness—Be FIIT” event on Saturday, May 14, 2016 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the YMCA at Stadium Place. Designed to promote healthy living throughout the community, the free outdoor event will feature a variety of activities for the entire family to encourage children and their parents to develop and maintain healthy habits to last a lifetime.
“MedStar Union Memorial is excited to partner with the community to inspire a healthy future for our children,” said Kari Kindschi, MD, medical director of the Arnold Palmer SportsHealth Center at MedStar Union Memorial and program director of the Center’s Families In It Together (FIIT) Program. “The Spring Into Wellness—Be FIIT event is designed to promote active lifestyles and healthy eating for the whole family."
Event activities include:
- Free health screenings (including height, weight, blood pressure, BMI, and asthma/allergy screening and counseling)
- Sports activities (including a fun run, obstacle course, soccer games, and a cardio dance class)
- Nutrition station featuring healthy snacks and drinks (provided by Giant Food)
- Pediatric CPR presentation
- Posters, handouts and healthy tips about nutrition, indoor and outdoor exercise
- Safety and prevention tips (sports injury prevention, medication safety tips, pool safety, bike helmets, poison prevention, STD prevention, gun safety, drug/substance abuse awareness)
- Group presentations and interactive sessions with dieticians, athletic trainers and physicians
Event partners include:
- MedStar Family Choice
- MedStar Medical Group
- Baltimore City Health Department
- Baltimore City Police Department
- Baltimore City Fire Department
- Giant Food
- Under Armour - Community Outreach
- Movez of Bmore
The Spring Into Wellness – Be FIIT event is sponsored by MedStar Union Memorial Hospital’s Families In It Together (FIIT) Program. The program invites children of all sizes and athletic abilities to work with a team of experts toward improved health and fitness. To learn more about the FIIT program, click here.
For more information about the Spring Into Wellness – Be FIIT event, call 410-554-2696.
About MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital is a not-for-profit, 223-bed acute care teaching hospital with a strong emphasis on cardiac care, orthopaedics and sports medicine. With roots stemming back to 1854, MedStar Union Memorial has provided high quality care for 160 years. As one of the region's top specialty hospitals, MedStar Union Memorial is home to: The Curtis National Hand Center, the only hand center designated by Congress as The National Center for the Treatment of Hand and Upper Extremity; MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute, a premier cardiovascular program in the mid-Atlantic, aligned with Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute, the nation’s #1 heart program; and MedStar Union Memorial Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, the oldest hospital based Sports Medicine Program in Maryland (founded in 1979). In addition, MedStar Union Memorial offers a comprehensive range of inpatient and outpatient services including oncology, diabetes and endocrinology, general surgery, thoracic surgery, vascular surgery and palliative care.
MedStar Union Memorial is accredited by The Joint Commission (TJC). It is the first hospital in Baltimore to receive spine certification by TJC, and the first in the state of Maryland to receive advanced certification for palliative care. MedStar Union Memorial is also TJC-certified in hip and knee replacement and CARF-accredited in Curtis Work Rehabilitation Services, and has been designated as a Primary Stroke Center and the Hand Trauma Center for Maryland.
MedStar Union Memorial is a proud member of MedStar Health, a non-profit, regional health care system with 10 hospitals and more than 20 other health-related services in the Maryland and Washington, D.C., area.
For more information, visit MedStarUnionMemorial.org.