As Montgomery County’s first acute care hospital, MedStar Montgomery has been caring for the Greater Olney community for more than 100 years. We offer our patients access to a wide variety of specialty services in a convenient, community setting.
MedStar Montgomery Medical Center Nursing Philosophy
The philosophy of nursing at MedStar Montgomery reflects the vision and values of our organization. We support an environment that promotes professional nursing practice and collaborative governance which emphasizes the five caring processes, defined by Kristen Swanson: knowing, being with, doing for, enabling and maintaining belief in the patients, family and staff who care for them.
We also believe:
- Compassionate caring by nurses leads to improvements in patient’s physical healing, sense of self determination, confidence, and mental attitude.
- Nursing care for each patient and family is individualized, compassionate and culturally appropriate.
- Nurses collaborate with patients, families, and other health team members to plan and provide nursing care that will achieve an optimal level of health and wellness, or when it is not possible, support the experience of loss and death.
- We believe in creating a work climate for nurses that nurtures and supports clinical expertise, education, collaborative governance, and research, fostering recruitment and retention of nursing staff who demonstrate the highest integrity, competence and qualifications.
Nursing Professional Practice Model
The Professional Practice Model is a visual or schematic conceptual model of how nurses practice, collaborate, communicate and develop professionally to provide the highest-quality care for patients, families and communities. The Medstar Montgomery Professional Practice Model represents the four Magnet domains as the road leading to the hospital, work team and care delivery model practiced at MMMC. Our spirit values and collaborative governance set the framework for nursing practice. Other programs and initiatives serve to enhance the delivery of patient care and the formation of effective care teams. Developed by MedStar Montgomery nurses, our PPM promotes respect and encourages responsibility for creating a culture of learning, mutual support and creative problem-solving.
About Magnet designation
The Magnet Recognition Program recognizes health care organizations that demonstrate excellence in nursing practice and adherence to national standards for the organization and delivery of nursing services. Applicant hospitals undergo a rigorous evaluation that includes written documentation demonstrating excellence in nursing practice and clinical outcomes, as well as an extensive interviews and on-site review of nursing services validating organizational excellence.
Magnet recognition is a performance-driven recognition for:
- Quality patient care
- Nursing excellence
- Innovation in professional nursing practice
Only 6% of U.S. hospitals earn this designation!
In November 2023, MedStar Montgomery Medical Center is applying for designation.
Professional Development Opportunities
- Specialty-specific certification review courses
- Clinical Advancement Program
- Collaborative governance participation
- MedStar Health Elective Learning Platform
- Nursing organization conferences
- Nursing scholarship program
- Professional nursing organization memberships
- Leadership development for nurse managers
- Nurse Residency Program
- Agreement with local colleges for student practicums