- adrenal neoplasm
- bladder cancer
- prostate cancer
- renal cancer
- retroperitoneal sarcoma
- testicular cancer
- blue light cystoscopy with cysview
- da vinci adrenalectomy
- laparoscopic surgery for prostate cancer
- lymph node dissection
- pelvic surgery
- robotic prostate surgery
- robotic pyeloplasty
- robotic surgery for bladder cancer
- robotic surgery for prostate cancer
- transurethral resection of bladder
Keith Kowalczyk, MD, is board certified in urology, with training in urologic oncology and robotic-assisted surgery. He sees patients at MedStar's Pasquerilla Healthcare Center at MedStar Georgetown in Washington, DC, as well as MedStar's clinic in Chevy Chase.
Dr. Kowalczyk treats a full range of urologic conditions, but focuses on kidney, testicular, bladder, and prostate cancers. While skilled in performing traditional open surgery, his special expertise is in robotic-assisted surgery, and he has performed hundreds of procedures using this technology.
Dr. Kowalczyk is one of the few urologic surgeons in the D.C. metro area with specific expertise and training in urologic robotic surgery for urologic cancers.For those not familiar with robotic surgery, the surgeon uses special instruments controlled through a robotic/computer console which allows increased range of motion and often more precision than traditional surgical instruments. The camera he uses provides 10 to 12 times more magnification than traditional cameras used in surgery.
With his experience in performing robotic surgery, Dr. Kowalczyk is able to perform a more precise surgery with generally fewer complications. Also, Dr. Kowalczyk is able to offer more options for certain high-risk patients, like obese men who need prostatectomy surgery as well as patients with large kidney masses who have been told their kidney requires removal. With the magnified view and precision of robotic surgery, these patients have the options of minimally invasive procedures and better outcomes.
Dr. Kowalczyk is also actively involved in health services research on cancer treatments, outcomes, and patterns and costs of care and has authored numerous peer-reviewed articles on these topics.
- Fellowship Program: Brigham and Women's Hospital (2011)
- Residency Program: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital (2010)
- Residency Program: National Institute of Health (2008)
- Internship Program: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital (2006)
- Medical School: Georgetown University School of Medicine (2005)
- Board Certification: American Board of Urology, Urology
The burden of skeletal-related events in patients with prostate cancer and bone metastasis. Roghmann F, Antczak C, McKay RR, Choueiri T, Hu JC, Kibel AS, Kim SP, Kowalczyk KJ, Menon M, Nguyen PL, Saad F, Sammon JD, Schmid M, Sukumar S, Sun M, Noldus J, Trinh QD. Urol Oncol. 2015 Jan;33(1):17.e9-18.
Is there any evidence of a "July effect" in patients undergoing major cancer surgery?
Ravi P, Trinh VQ, Sun M, Sammon J, Sukumar S, Gervais MK, Shariat SF, Kim SP, Kowalczyk KJ, Hu JC, Menon M, Karakiewicz PI, Trinh QD. Can J Surg. 2014 Apr;57(2):82-8.
Optimal timing of early versus delayed adjuvant radiotherapy following radical prostatectomy for locally advanced prostate cancer. Kowalczyk KJ, Gu X, Nguyen PL, Lipsitz SR, Trinh QD, Lynch JH, Collins SP, Hu JC. Urol Oncol. 2014 Apr;32(3):303-8. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2013.09.004.
Robotic-assisted prostatectomy and open radical retropubic prostatectomy for locally-advanced prostate cancer: multi-institution comparison of oncologic outcomes. Vora AA, Marchalik D, Kowalczyk KJ, Nissim H, Bandi G, McGeagh KG, Lynch JH, Ghasemian SR, Verghese M, Venkatesan K, Borges P, Uchio EM, Hwang JJ. Prostate Int. 2013;1(1):31-6.
Venous thromboembolism after major cancer surgery: temporal trends and patterns of care. Trinh VQ, Karakiewicz PI, Sammon J, Sun M, Sukumar S, Gervais MK, Shariat SF, Tian Z, Kim SP,Kowalczyk KJ, Hu JC, Menon M, Trinh QD. JAMA Surg. 2014 Jan;149(1):43-9.
For a more publications by Dr. Kowalczyk's click here.
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- Faculty Teacher of the Year Award, Georgetown University/Washington Hospital Center Urology Residency Program (2015)
- Resident Teacher Award, Department of Urology. Georgetown University Hospital (2010)
- String of Pearls Finalist, Best Resident Teacher, Georgetown University Hospital (2010)
- 3rd Place, Resident Research Presentation, Washington Urologic Society (2008)