Syed Waqas Haider, MD, MPH, is a cardiologist at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. He is board certified in nuclear cardiology and echocardiography and is board eligible in cardiovascular disease and vascular medicine.
Dr. Haider treats the whole spectrum of cardiovascular conditions including cardiomyopathy, hypertension, arrythmias, and valvular, coronary, and pericardial disease.
He has published in various high-impact peer-reviewed journals. His research and clinical work focus heavily on advanced cardiac imaging, including use of transesophageal and intra-cardiac echo. Dr. Haider also served as guest editor for JACC Case Reports.
Passionate about academic endeavors, Dr. Haider has long been involved in teaching and developing curricula for his fellowship program. During the pandemic, he co-led a virtual conference with his critical care and cardiology colleagues across the globe, to share best practices for patient care. Dr. Haider also served as co-investigator in the early clinical trials evaluating the benefit of remdesivir and convalescent plasma therapy for treatment of moderate to severe COVID-19 infection.
Dr. Haider was a merit scholar at the Milken Institute of Public Health at the George Washington University. With his training in public health, he further brings global thinking to his practice, by translating broad clinical knowledge to practical care plans for each patient.
Philosophy of Care
“My patients have called me an “old-school doctor.” I take pride in this label, as I always aim to be personable, approachable, and to create a positive patient experience. I listen to all of their concerns–heart related or not–thereby potentially unmasking certain pathology or circumstances that may impact their cardiac treatment.
I believe that cardiovascular disease can be prevented and mitigated. As a physician, I have a responsibility to fix the great imbalance between disease mortality and the opportunity to modify it. I do this by making treatment practical and understandable. I take the latest guidelines and “best practices” off the pages of medical journals and incorporate them into the daily care and personal life of my patients.”
Distance from Change LocationEnter your Location
3800 Reservoir Road Northwest Washington, DC, 20007202-444-8843
MedStar Medical Group accepts most major health insurance plans. If you are uncertain as to whether your individual health insurance plan is accepted at MedStar Medical Group, please call your insurance company.
List of insurance plans we accept
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA Indemnity
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Student Resources
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- United Healthcare Choice
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- Optimum Choice
- United Healthcare Navigate
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- CIGNA HMO Open Access (OA)
- Network OA
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA EPO
- PPO and PPO Plus
- Choice Fund PPO
- CFBSBC Blue Preferred PPO
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Open Access
- BlueChoice Open Access
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- Aetna Traditional Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Aetna Open Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice (POS)
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Aetna Elect Choice/ Open Access (POS)
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Aetna HMO-Open Access/Select OA/HealthFund/Health Network Option OA
- Innovation Health: POS
- Open HMO
- Opoen HMO Option
- Open EPO Plus
- Aetna Managed Choice Open Access (POS)
- Choice POS & Choice POS II
- Innovation Health: Open POS Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Select HMO/HealthFund/Health Network
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
Fellowship Program: St Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center - St Lukes Div (2021)
Residency Program: St Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center - Roosevelt Div (2017)
Medical School: Ziauddin University (2012)
- Distinction and Honors in Pathology (2010)
- Distinction and Honors in Community Health Sciences (2010)
- Distinction and Honors in Pediatrics (2011)
- Distinction and Honors in Gynecology (2011)
- Distinction and Honors in Obstetrics (2011)
News and publications
Kamani, L., Hamid, S.S., Ismail, F.W., Haider, S.W., Awan, S., Ahmed, A., Jafri, W. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad. MORBIDITY AND MORTALITY ASSESSMENT IN ACUTE HEPATITIS-E. 2015, Jan; 27(1): 64-69.
Lassi, Z.S., Das, J.K., Haider, S.W., Salam R.A., Qazi S.A., Bhutta Z.A. Archives of Disease in Childhood, British Medical Journal. Systematic review on antibiotic therapy for pneumonia in children between 2 and 59 months of age. 2015, Jan; 99(7): 687-93.
Swoboda, S., Young, S., Prow, D., Haider, S.W. Critical Care Medicine. Which hand hygiene interventions do health care workers (hcw) believe have high impact? 2009, Dec; 37(12 Suppl): A1-542.
Haider, S.W, Habib, M.A., Zaidi, A.K., Bhutta, Z.A. (2013). Child Vaccination in Pakistan. In Bhutta ZA (Ed.), Re productive, Maternal, Child Health & Nutrition in Pakistan: opportunities for change. (pp. 165-193). Karachi: Paramount Publishing Enterprise.
Haider, S.W., Bhutta, Z.A. (2013). Adolescent Health in Pakistan. In Bhutta, Z.A (Ed.), Reproductive, Maternal, Child Health & Nutrition in Pakistan: opportunities for change. (pp. 38-61). Karachi: Paramount Publishing Enterprise.