David Perry, M.D., serves as Medical Director, Clinical Research, at MedStar Washington Hospital Center (MWHC), Washington, D.C. In this capacity, Dr. Perry is responsible for overseeing the oncology research conducted at MWHC. He also serves as chair of the MedStar Health Research Institute-Georgetown University Oncology Institutional Review Board (IRB). In addition to his clinical responsibilities, he is an associate professor of Medicine at Georgetown University, George Washington University and the Uniformed University of the Health Sciences.
Prior to joining MedStar, he was an associate professor of Medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School and a staff physician at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, D.C. At MWHC, he serves as a research mentor for early-career faculty. He is a fellow of the American College of Physicians, the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the American Society of Hematology. Dr. Perry has published more than 40 research articles in peer-reviewed publications, including the European Journal of Cancer, the Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine and Clinical Lung Cancer. He serves on the Extramural Board of the Physicians Data Query, the National Cancer Institute's comprehensive cancer database. Dr. Perry is board certified in Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology and Hematology and serves on the Scientific Advisory Board of MedStar Health Research Institute.
Dr. Perry received his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania. He completed an internship at the University of Arizona and a residency and a fellowship in Hematology/Oncology at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Dr. Perry's research interests include
- Colon cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Genitourinary cancers
Adipokines in plasma and breast tissue: associations with breast cancer risk factors
In this article, published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention (2012 Aug 14), Dr. Perry and colleagues investigated the association between breast cancer risk and levels of certain hormones.
Phase 2 trial of linifanib (ABT-869) in patients with advanced renal cell cancer
In this article, published in the European Journal of Cancer (2011;47:2706-2714), Dr. Perry and colleagues studied the safety and efficacy of linifanib in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma previously treated with sunitinib.
Learn more about MedStar Health's oncology research programs.
I. Papadopoulos NM, Hallal JF, Perry DJ, Bedynek JL. Serum lipoprotein patterns in patients with coronary atherosclerosis. Clin Chim Acta 44:153, 1973 and erratum 45: 104, 1973.
2. Perry DJ, Weltz MD, Brown A W Jr, Henderson RL, Neglia WJ, Berenberg JL. Adjuvant chemotherapy for head and neck cancer. Adjuvant Therapy of Cancer III, Salmon SE and Jones SE, eds, Grone and Stratton, NY, 1981, pp 161-168.
3. Perry DJ, Weltz MD, Brown A W Jr, Henderson RL, Neglia WJ, Berenberg JL. Vinblastine, bleomycin and cisplatin for recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer 50:2257-2260, 1982.
4. Karcher DS, Perry DJ, Hurwitz MA, Dietrich-Hooks B. T-cell lymphoma occurring in the oropharynx. Cancer50:1155-1159, 1982.
5. Perry DJ, Kimball DB. Low dose vitamin K for excessively anticoagulated prosthetic valve patients. Military Medicine 147:836-837, 1982.
6. Perry DJ, Crain SM, Weltz MD, Wilson JP, Davis RK, Woolley PV, Forastiere AA, Taylor HG, Weiss RB. Phase II trial of mitoguazone in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer Treatment Reports 67:91-92, 1983.
7. Weltz MD, Perry DJ, Butler WM, Blom J. Methyl-CCNU, 5-fluorouracil, Vincristine and Streptozocin (MOF-STREP) in metastatic colorectal carcinoma. J Clin Onc 1:135-137, 1983.
8. Davis RK, Perry DJ, Zajtchuk JT. Induction chemotherapy with Vinblastine, bleomycin, and cis-diamminedichloroplatinum in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery 91:627-31,1983.
9. Diehl L, Perry D. Terebelo salvage therapy for patients with Hodgkin's disease relapsing after MOPP chemotherapy. Cancer Treat Rep 67:827-829, 1983.
10. Perry DJ, Davis RK, Zajtchuk JT, Baumann JC. Vinblastine, bleomycin and cisplatin in treatment of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Adjuvant Therapy of Cancer IV, Jones SE and Salmon SE, eds, Grune and Stratton, NY, 1984, pp 135-143.
11. Perry DJ, Weiss RB, Hoth DF. Hypersensitivity reactions to amsacrine. Cancer Treatment Reports, 69:199-201,1985.
12. Perry DJ, Davis RK, Duttenhaver JR, Zajtchuk JT, Hauck KH, Major WB, Baumann JC. Multimodality therapy for unresectable squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Am J Clin Oncol (CCT) 8:280-383, 1985.
13. Diehl LF, Perry DJ. A comparison of randomized concurrent control groups with matched historical control groups: Are historical controls valid? J Clin Oncol 4:1114-1120, 1986.
14. Perry DJ, McCormick D, Veasey S, Cohen IS. Right heart obstruction due to intracavitary prolymphocytic leukemia. Am J Med 81:131-134,1986.
15. Perry DJ, Weiss RB, Creekmore SP, Micetich KC, Curt GA. Carboplatin for advanced colorectal carcinoma.Cancer Treatment Reports, 70:301-302, 1986.
16. Takasugi BJ, Perry DJ, Wheeler RH, Forastiere AA. A phase II trial of cisplatin and methylglyoxal bis-guanylhydrazone (MGBG) in recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Am J Clin Oncol(CCT), 9:299-301, 1986.
17. Krasnow S, Green M, Perry DJ, Eisenberger MA, Johnston-Early A, Muggia F, Cohen MH. Phase II trial of Baker's Antifol in patients with recurrent or inoperable head and neck cancer. Cancer Treatment Reports70:1039-1040, 1986.
18. Tallman MS, McGuffin RW, Higano CS, Starkebaum G, Collins SJ, Johnston Perry DJ, Kunath A. Bone marrow transplantation in a patient with myelodysplasia associated with diffuse eosinophilic fasciitis. Am J Hematol 24:93-99, 1987.
19. Perry DJ, Van Echo DA, Mick R. Phase II study of deoxydoxorubicin in patients with advanced liver cancer.Cancer Treatment Reports 71:1117-1118, 1987.
20. Taylor G, Perry DJ, Knight RD, Dawson NA, Skoog SJ, McLeod DG. Clinical predictors of response in metastatic germ cell tumors. Cancer 62:217-221,1988.
21. Forastiere AA, Perry DJ, Wolf GT, Wheeler RH, Natale RB. Cisplatin and mitoguazone. An induction chemotherapy regimen in advanced head and neck cancer. Cancer 62:2304-2308, 1988.
22. Vukelja SI, Weiss RB, Perry DJ, Longo DL. Eosinophilia associated with adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma.Cancer 62:1527-1530, 1988.
23. Perry DJ, Hubbard SM, Tingley DE, Masys, DR. Dose modification for PDQ. In Stead WW, ed. Proceedings of the Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care. Washington: Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, 11 :739-742, 1987.
24. Perry DJ, Sloane EM, Hubbard SM, Tingley DE, DeVita VT, Jr. Keeping up with the cancer literature--PDQ ACCESS. J Clin Oncol 6:1649-1652, 1988.
25. Carter JW, Masys DR, Perry DJ. Tingley DE. A database producer automates its service desk files using dBASE III Plus. Online 12:120-124, 1988.
26. Perry DJ, Hubbard SM. PDQ -- a database of clinical trials and cancer treatment information. Cancer and Metastasis Reviews 7:209-222,1988.
27. Tingley DE, Hubbard SM, Perry DJ. The PDQ database: What the primary care physician needs to know about current treatments for cancer and AIDS. J Med Practice Management 4:41-46, 1988.
28. Richards F, Perry DJ, Goutsou M, Modeas C, Muchmore E, Rege V, Chahinian AP, Hirsh V, Poiesz B, Green MR. Chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and cisplatin or 5-FU, cisplatin, and vinblastine for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer 67:2974-2979, 1991.
29. Sile CC, Perry DJ, Nam L. Small cell carcinocythemia. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine123:426-8, 1999.
30. Chuu WM, Catlett JP, Perry DJ, Geddes LG, Levit PD, Levy CS, Buick MK, Malkovska V. Concurrent Pneumocystis carinii and cytomegalovirus pneumonia after autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplantation 23:1087-9,1999.
31. Aggarwal A, Krishnan J, Perry DJ. Noonan's syndrome and seminoma of undescended testicle. Southern Medical Journal 94:432-4, 2001.
32. Henshaw RM, Priebat DA, Perry DJ, Shmookler BM, Malawer MM. Survival following induction chemotherapy for high-grade extremity sarcoma. Is radiation necessary? Ann Surgical Oncol 8:484-95, 2001.
33. Allweis TM, Boisvert ME, Otero SE, Perry DJ, Dubin NH, Priebat DA. Immediate reconstruction after mastectomy for breast cancer does not prolong the time to starting chemotherapy. Am J Surgery 183:218-221, 2002.
34. Fischer SA, Soberman M, Randolph P, Crawford K, Perry DJ. Phase II trial of concurrent paclitaxel, carboplatin, and external-beam radiation followed by surgical resection in locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer, protocol 99-444. Clin Lung Cancer 8:56-61, 2006.
35. Dumitrescu RG, Marian C, Krishnan SS, Spear SL, Kallakury BV, Perry DJ, Convit JR, Seillier-Moiseiwitsch F, Yang Y, Freudenheim JL, Shields PG. Familial and racial determinants of tumour suppressor genes promoter hypermethylation in breast tissues from healthy women. J Cell Mol Med 14:1468-1475, 2010.
- Research Areas