Baltimore, MD—(May 11, 2017)—MedStar Union Memorial Hospital will hold its annual Spring Into Wellness Fun Health and Fitness for Kids event Saturday, May 13, from 12:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Weinburg Y in Waverly at Stadium Place. Designed to promote healthy living throughout the community, the free event will feature a variety of activities for the entire family to encourage children and their parents to develop and maintain healthy habits. The event will be indoors, rain or shine.
“MedStar Union Memorial is excited to partner with the community to inspire a healthy future for our children,” said Kari Kindschi, MD, medical director of the Arnold Palmer SportsHealth Center at MedStar Union Memorial, and program director of the Center’s Families In It Together (FIIT) Program. “We encourage all kids to attend, no matter what size, age or athletic ability. It’s a great family day."
Event features include:
- Free health screenings (asthma/allergy/eye dental and more)
- Sports activities (including a fun run, obstacle course, soccer games, and a cardio dance class)
- Nutrition station featuring healthy snacks and drinks (provided by Giant Food)
- Pediatric CPR presentation
- Meet Poe, the Ravens mascot and the Oriole Bird
- Fire safety and apparatus demo by the Baltimore City Fire Department
- Posters, handouts and healthy tips about nutrition, indoor and outdoor exercise
- Safety and prevention tips (sports injury prevention, medication safety tips, pool safety, bike helmets, poison prevention, STD prevention, gun safety, drug/substance abuse awareness)
- Group presentations and interactive sessions with dieticians, athletic trainers and physicians
- Music and more!
Event partners include:
- MedStar Family Choice
- MedStar Medical Group
- Baltimore City Health Department
- Baltimore City Police Department
- Baltimore City Fire Department
- Giant Food
- Under Armour - Community Outreach
- Movez of Bmore
To learn more about the FIIT program, click here.
For more information about Spring Into Wellness, call 410-554-2696.
About MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital is a not-for-profit, 223-bed acute care teaching hospital with a strong emphasis on cardiac care, orthopaedics and sports medicine. With roots stemming back to 1854, MedStar Union Memorial has provided high quality care for 160 years. As one of the region's top specialty hospitals, MedStar Union Memorial is home to: The Curtis National Hand Center, the only hand center designated by Congress as The National Center for the Treatment of Hand and Upper Extremity; MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute, a premier cardiovascular program in the mid-Atlantic, aligned with Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute, the nation’s #1 heart program; and MedStar Union Memorial Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, the oldest hospital based Sports Medicine Program in Maryland (founded in 1979). In addition, MedStar Union Memorial offers a comprehensive range of inpatient and outpatient services including oncology, diabetes and endocrinology, general surgery, thoracic surgery, vascular surgery and palliative care.
MedStar Union Memorial is accredited by The Joint Commission (TJC). It is the first hospital in Baltimore to receive spine certification by TJC, and the first in the state of Maryland to receive advanced certification for palliative care. MedStar Union Memorial is also TJC-certified in hip and knee replacement and CARF-accredited in Curtis Work Rehabilitation Services, and has been designated as a Primary Stroke Center and the Hand Trauma Center for Maryland.
MedStar Union Memorial is a proud member of MedStar Health, a non-profit, regional health care system with 10 hospitals and more than 20 other health-related services in the Maryland and Washington, D.C., area.
For more information, visit MedStarUnionMemorial.org.