At the Huntington’s Disease Center at MedStar Health, we develop personalized treatment plans for every patient, tailored to his or her specific needs. The disease progresses differently in each person, so individualized care leads to the best possible care.
Our specialists work collectively as a team and communicate regularly about treatment plans. This approach ensures that all medications and therapies complement each other to effectively manage symptoms and ensure optimal results.
The brain changes brought on by Huntington’s disease affect movement, thought processes, and emotions and behavior. While there’s no cure, the right treatments can help slow symptoms and improve quality of life. Learn more about our treatment options:
- Treatments for movement disorders
- Treatments for mood disorders
- Treatments for cognitive disorders
Treatments for movement disorders
Therapies to treat movement disorders include:
- Medications, including tetrabenazine, the only drug approved by the FDA to treat involuntary movements, or chorea
- Physical therapy to strengthen muscles and foster better mobility
- Occupational therapy to find adaptive ways to complete daily tasks
- Speech therapy to improve speech and swallowing
Treatments for mood disorders
Therapies to treat mood disorders include:
- Antidepressants to control depression, suicidal thoughts, and a tendency towards obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Mood stabilizers to reduce mood swings
- Antipsychotic medications to control violent outbursts, psychosis, and agitation
- Anti-anxiety medications to relieve anxiety and foster better sleep
- Psychotherapy to provide coping strategies and manage behavioral problems
Treatments for cognitive disorders
Therapies to treat cognitive disorders include:
- Neuropsychology to provide strategies for coping with memory loss
Researching treatments for Huntington's disease
Our team of specialists is part of the Huntington Study Group, a global network of clinical researchers committed to finding better ways to treat symptoms and stop the disease via ongoing research and clinical trials.
Huntington’s disease video gallery
When a neurological disorder like Huntington’s disease threatens your future or that of a loved one, time truly becomes precious. That’s why the Huntington’s Disease Center at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital brings together all of the specialists your family needs in one dedicated healthcare facility.
Hear from our expert physicians and patients like you.
Huntington s Disease Care, Education and Research: Ask Dr. Karen Anderson
On Huntington's Disease, families & HDYO - Fox5 interview
Expert neurology care
Getting the care you need starts with seeing one of our neurologists.