Priyanka Kanth, MD, is a gastroenterologist at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. Fellowship-trained and board-certified in gastroenterology, Dr. Kanth leads the Gastrointestinal Cancer Prevention Program for patients and families with high risk for gastrointestinal cancers. Her area of special interest and expertise is gastrointestinal cancer, especially hereditary colon cancer and colon cancer prevention.
She graduated from medical school and completed her internship at Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, MAHE University, India. She completed a residency in internal medicine at University of Connecticut Health, Farmington, CT, where she was Chief Medical Resident, and a residency in colorectal and general surgery at Royal Albert Edward Infirmary in the United Kingdom, as well as a fellowship in gastroenterology at University of Utah Health in Salt Lake City.
Dr. Kanth’s areas of clinical expertise include colon polyps, serrated colon polyps, hereditary gastrointestinal cancer syndromes, including Lynch syndrome, familial adenomatous polyposis, juvenile polyposis syndrome, Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, serrated polyposis syndrome, hamartomatous polyposis syndromes, hereditary diffuse gastric cancer, gastrointestinal cancer genetics, and the prevention of colon cancer.
She has served as principal investigator and site principal investigator for several studies on issues related to gastrointestinal cancer. Her research has been published in several peer-reviewed journals, including NEJM, JAMA, Genetic Epidemiology, Gut, Gastroenterology, Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology, and Journal of National Comprehensive Cancer Network. She also has presented at numerous national and international conferences.
Dr. Kanth believes in educating her patients so they are aware of their personal and family history of gastrointestinal and other cancers. This knowledge is important, because many of these cancers can be prevented and detected early, especially in the case of genetic conditions that increases cancer risk. She is a firm believer in listening to her patients, answering all their questions, and coming to a mutual decision about their care.
In her spare time, she enjoys movies, traveling, and spending time with family.
Conditions and procedures
Conditions I treat
- Benign Neoplasm Of Colon
- Colonic Polyps
- Colorectal Malignancy
- Cowden Syndrome
- Familial Polyposis
- Family History Of Colon Cancer
- Family History Of Colon Polyps
- Family History Of Pancreatic Cancer
- Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancer
- Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer Syndrome
- Hereditary Polyposis
- Juvenile Polyposis Syndrome
- Lynch Syndrome
- Personal History Of Colonic Polyps
- Peutz Jeghers Syndrome
- Polyposis Syndrome
Distance from Change LocationEnter your Location
6862 Elm Street Suite 800A McLean, VA, 22101202-444-8541
MedStar Medical Group accepts most major health insurance plans. If you are uncertain as to whether your individual health insurance plan is accepted at MedStar Medical Group, please call your insurance company.
List of insurance plans we accept
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA Indemnity
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Student Resources
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- United Healthcare Choice
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- Optimum Choice
- United Healthcare Navigate
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- CIGNA HMO Open Access (OA)
- Network OA
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA EPO
- PPO and PPO Plus
- Choice Fund PPO
- CFBSBC Blue Preferred PPO
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Open Access
- BlueChoice Open Access
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- Aetna Traditional Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Aetna Open Choice (PPO)
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice (POS)
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Aetna Elect Choice/ Open Access (POS)
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Aetna HMO-Open Access/Select OA/HealthFund/Health Network Option OA
- Innovation Health: POS
- Open HMO
- Opoen HMO Option
- Open EPO Plus
- Aetna Managed Choice Open Access (POS)
- Choice POS & Choice POS II
- Innovation Health: Open POS Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Select HMO/HealthFund/Health Network
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
Board Certification: American Board of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology
Graduate Education: University of Utah (2015)
Fellowship Program: University of Utah Health Care (2013)
Residency Program: University of Connecticut Health Center (2009)
Residency Program: St. Mary's Hospital (2006)
Residency Program: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary (2005)
Internship Program: Kasturba Medical College of Mangalore (2001)
Medical School: Kasturba Medical College (2001)
Residency Program: Primary Health Center (2001)
- 2021: American Gastroenterological Association Fellow (AGAF)
- 2019: SCOPY award (Service Award for Colorectal Cancer Outreach, Prevention & Year-Round Excellence) from the American College of Gastroenterology for organizing the colon cancer awareness event and for the best original tactic- ‘visit the endo unit’ video
- 2018: Hind Rattan Award (Jewel of India award) by the NRI Welfare Society, New Delhi, India
- 2017: Fellowship of American College of Gastroenterology (FACG)
- 2016: Selected for the Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) program, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
- 2016: Selected for the Vice President’s Clinical & Translational (VPCAT) Research Scholars Program, University of Utah
- 2013: Awarded a travel grant to attend Digestive Disease Week conference for the Fellowship2Leadership Salix Fellows’ Program.
- 2009: Maxwell O Phelps award for Scholarship in Medicine by University of Connecticut, Farmington, CT.
- 2008: Service excellence award for excellent patient care by Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT.
News and publications
- https://www.agingmattersonline.com/radio-show Conversation w/ Priyanka Kanth, MD, about signs and symptoms, risk factors, diagnostic screening, and treatment for colorectal cancer, and lifestyle changes to reduce risk. March 2022.
- Why should you get your colorectal cancer screening at 45
- Tour of Colon Cancer Exhibit, Huntsman Cancer Institute
- Facebook live event on colon cancer screening organized, Huntsman Cancer Institute
- 6 Colon Cancer Symptoms That Are Easily Overlooked, U.S News & World Report
- How our researchers and physicians work to end health disparities, Huntsman Cancer Institute
- University of Utah Health presented One in a Million, a documentary on gene discovery, premiered at a sponsored event during the 2019 Sundance Film Festival, February 2019
- N Jewel Samadder, Ryan P McMurray , Priyanka Kanth , Michael Sossenheimer , Michelle Westover , Luz M Rodriguez , David Zahrieh , Nathan Foster , Carol A Burke , Elena Stoffel ,Rohit Das , Marcia Cruz-Correa , E Vilar , Gautam Mankaney , Navtej Buttar, Selvi Thirumurthi, Danielle K Turgeon, Ellen Richmond, Asad Umar, Gary Della'Zanna, Eva Szabo, Paul J Limburg (2022). Phase II trial of weekly erlotinib dosing to reduce duodenal polyp burden associated with familial adenomatous polyposis. Gut. May 30.
- Hodan R, Rodgers-Fouche L, Arora S, Dominguez-Valentin M, Kanth P, Katona BW, Mraz KA, Roberts ME, Vilar E, Soto-Azghani CM, Brand RE, Esplin ED, Perez K (2022). Patterns of germline and somatic testing after universal tumor screening for Lynch syndrome: A clinical practice survey of active members of the Collaborative Group of the Americas on Inherited Gastrointestinal Cancer. J Genet Couns. Feb 26.
- Kanth P, Yu Z, Keener MB, Koptiuch C, Kohlmann WK, Neklason DW, Westover M, Curtin K.Cancer Risk in Patients With and Relatives of Serrated Polyposis Syndrome and Sporadic Sessile Serrated Lesions.Am J Gastroenterol. 2022 Feb 1;117(2):336-342.
- Gonda TA, Farrell J, Wallace M, Khanna L, Janec E, Kwon R, Saunders M, Siddiqui UD, Brand R, Simeone DM; PRECEDE Consortium.Standardization of EUS imaging and reporting in high-risk individuals of pancreatic adenocarcinoma: consensus statement of the Pancreatic Cancer Early Detection Consortium.Gastrointest Endosc. 2021 Nov 2:S0016-5107(21)01762-4.
- Weiss JM, Gupta S, Burke CA, Axell L, Chen LM, Chung DC, Clayback KM, Dallas S, Felder S, Gbolahan O, Giardiello FM, Grady W, Hall MJ, Hampel H, Hodan R, Idos G, Kanth P, Katona B, Lamps L, Llor X, Lynch PM, Markowitz AJ, Pirzadeh-Miller S, Samadder NJ, Shibata D, Swanson BJ, Szymaniak BM, Wiesner GL, Wolf A, Yurgelun MB, Zakhour M, Darlow SD, Dwyer MA, Campbell M.NCCN Guidelines® Insights: Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment: Colorectal, Version 1.2021.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2021 Oct 15;19(10):1122-1132.
- Kanth P, Inadomi JM (2021). Screening and prevention of colorectal cancer. BMJ, 374, n1855.
- Gibson EG, Staub J, Kanth P (2021). Endoscopic Management of Hamartomatous Polyposis Syndromes, Current Treatment Options in Gastroenterology, 1-14
- Ochs-Balcom HM, Kanth P, Cannon-Albright LA (2021). Early-onset colorectal cancer risk extends to second- and third-degree relatives. Cancer Epidemiol, 73, 10197
- Provenzale D, Ness RM, Llor X, Weiss JM, Abbadessa B, Cooper G, Early DS, Friedman M, Giardiello FM, Glaser K, Gurudu S, Halverson AL, Issaka R, Jain R, Kanth P, Kidambi T, Lazenby AJ, Maguire L, Markowitz AJ, May FP, Mayer RJ, Mehta S, Patel S, Peter S, Stanich PP, Terdiman J, Keller J, Dwyer MA, Ogba N. (2020). NCCN Guidelines Insights: Colorectal Cancer Screening, Version 2.2020. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. Oct 1;18(10):1312-1320.
- Burke CA, Dekker E, Lynch P, Samadder NJ, Balaguer F, Hüneburg R, Burn J, Castells A, Gallinger S, Lim R, Stoffel EM, Gupta S, Henderson A, Kallenberg FG, Kanth P Roos VH, Ginsberg GG, Sinicrope FA, Strassburg CP, Van Cutsem E, Church J, Lalloo F, Willingham FF, Wise PE, Grady WM, Ford M, Weiss JM, Gryfe R, Rustgi AK, Syngal S, Cohen A. (2020). Eflornithine plus Sulindac for Prevention of Progression in in Familial Adenomatous Polyposis. N Engl J Med. 2020 Sep 10;383(11):1028-1039.
- HM Ochs-Balcom, P Kanth, S Abdelrahman, JM Farnham, LA Cannon-Albright (2020). Colorectal cancer risk based on extended family history and body mass index. Genetic Epidemiology Oct;44(7):778-784.
- Reyes-Uribe L, Wu W, Gelincik O, Bommi PV, Francisco-Cruz A, Solis LM, Lynch PM, Lim R, Stoffel EM, Kanth P, Samadder NJ, Mork ME, Taggart MW, Milne GL, Marnett LJ, Vornik L, Liu DD, Revuelta M, Chang K, You YN, Kopelovich L, Wistuba II, Lee JJ, Sei S, Shoemaker RH, Szabo E, Richmond E, Umar A, Perloff M, Brown PH, Lipkin SM, Vilar E. (2020). Naproxen Chemoprevention Promotes Immune Activation In Lynch Syndrome Colorectal Mucosa. Gut. Jul 8: gutjnl-2020-320946.
- Kanth P, Boylan KE, Bronner MP, Boucher KM, Hazel MW, Yao R, Pop S, Bernard PS, Delker DA (2019). Molecular Biomarkers of Sessile Serrated Adenoma/Polyps. Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology, 10(12), e00104.
- Gupta S, Provenzale D, Llor X, Halverson AL, Grady W, Chung DC, Haraldsdottir S, Markowitz AJ, Slavin TP Jr, Hampel H, CGC., Ness RM, Weiss JM, Ahnen DJ, Chen LM, Cooper G, Early DS, Giardiello FM, Hall MJ, Hamilton SR, Kanth P, Klapman JB, Lazenby AJ, Lynch PM, Mayer RJ, Mikkelson J, CGC., Peter S, Regenbogen SE, Dwyer MA, CGC., Ogba N (2019). NCCN Guidelines Insights: Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment: Colorectal, Version 2.201 Journal of National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 17(9), 1032-1041.
- Ashktorab H, Delker D, Kanth P, Goel A, Carethers JM, Brim H (2019). Molecular Characterization of Sessile Serrated Adenoma/Polyps From a Large African American Cohort. Gastroenterology, 157(2), 572-574.
- Kanth P, Hazel MW, Boucher KM, Yang Z, Wang L, Bronner MP, Boylan KE, Burt RW, Westover M, Neklason DW, Delker DA (2018). Small RNA sequencing of sessile serrated polyps identifies microRNA profile associated with colon cancer. Genes Chromosomes & Cancer, 58(1), 23-33.
- Petersen J, Koptiuch C, Wu YP, Mooney R, Elrick A, Szczotka K, Keener M, Pappas L, Kanth P, Soisson A, Kohlmann W, Kaphingst KA (2018 Jul 26). Patterns of family communication and preferred resources for sharing information among families with a Lynch syndrome diagnosis. Patient Education and Counseling, 101(11), 2011-2017.
- Chang K, Willis JA, Reumers J, Taggart MW, San Lucas FA, Thirumurthi S, Kanth P, Delker DA, Hagedorn CH, Lynch PM, Ellis LM, Hawk ET, Scheet PA, Kopetz S, Arts J, Guinney J, Dienstmann R, Vilar E (2018). Colorectal premalignancy is associated with consensus molecular subtypes 1 and 2. Annals of Oncology, 29(10), 2061-2067.
- Sample DC, Samadder NJ, Pappas LM, Boucher KM, Samowitz WS, Berry T, Westover M, Nathan D, Kanth P, Byrne KR, Burt RW, Neklason DW (2018). Variables affecting penetrance of gastric and duodenal phenotype in familial adenomatous polyposis patients. BMC Gastroenterology, 18(1), 115.
- Kanth P, Affolter K (2018). Worming Your Way Through the Gastrointestinal Tract: A Case of Strongyloidiasis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 16(7), A33
- Samadder NJ, Kuwada SK, Boucher KM, Byrne K, Kanth P, Samowitz W, Jones D, Tavtigian SV, Westover M, Berry T, Jasperson K, Pappas L, Smith L, Sample D, Burt RW, Neklason DW (2018). Association of Sulindac and Erlotinib vs Placebo With Colorectal Neoplasia in Familial Adenomatous Polyposis: Secondary Analysis of a Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Oncology, 4(5), 671-677.
- Caliskan A, Kohlmann WK, Affolter KE, Downs-Kelly E, Kanth P, Bronner MP (2017). Intramucosal lipomas of the colon implicate Cowden syndrome. Modern Pathology, 31(4), 643-651.
- Delker DA, Wood AC, Snow AK, Samadder NJ, Samowitz WS, Affolter KE, Boucher KM, Pappas LM, Stijleman IJ, Kanth P, Byrne KR, Burt RW, Bernard PS, Neklason DW (2017). Chemoprevention with Cyclooxygenase and Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitors in Familial Adenomatous Polyposis Patients: mRNA Signatures of Duodenal Neoplasia. Cancer Prevention and Research (Phila), 11(1), 4-15.
- Kanth P, Grimmett J, Champine M, and Samadder NJ (2017). Hereditary Colorectal Polyposis and Cancer Syndromes: A primer on diagnosis and management for clinicians. American Journal of Gastroenterology. Oct; 112(10):1509-1525.
- Schell J, Wisidagama D,Bensard C, Zhao H, Wei P, Tanner J, Flores A, Mohlman J, Sorensen L, Earl C, lson K, Miao R, Waller C, Delker D, Kanth P, et al (2017). Control of intestinal stem cell function and proliferation by mitochondrial pyruvate metabolism. Nature Cell Biology Sep; 19(9):1027-1036.
- Kanth P, Samadder NJ, DiSario J (2017). Duodenal adenomas in sporadic and familial adenomatous polyposis patients: Birds of a feather? Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Apr;85(4):813-815
- Kanth P, Bronner MP, Boucher KM, et al (2016). Gene Signature in Sessile Serrated Polyps Identifies Colon Cancer Subtype.
- Cancer Prevention and Research (Phila). Jun;9(6):456-65.
- Samadder NJ, Neklason D, Boucher K, Byrne K, Kanth P, et al. (2016). Effect of Sulindac and erlotinib versus placebo on duodenal neoplasia in familial adenomatous polyposis: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. Mar 22-29;315(12):1266-75.
- Delker D, McGettigan BM, Kanth P, et al. (2014). RNA Sequencing of Sessile Serrated Colon Polyps Identifies Differentially Expressed Genes and Immunohistochemical Markers. PLoS One; 9(2):e88367.
- Jasperson K, Kanth P, et al (2013): Serrated polyposis: Colonic phenotype, extra-colonic features and familial risk in a large cohort, Diseases of the Colon & Rectum.Nov; 56(11):1211-6.
- Kanth P, Fang J (2012): Cerebral Air Embolism: A Complication of a Bleeding Atrioesophageal Fistula, Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Mar;10(3):A22.
- Kanth P, Go M: Squamous Papilloma (2011): An unusual esophageal entity, Endoscopy; 43: E405-E406.
- Kanth P, Tendler B, Forouhar F (2008): A case of thyroid storm with underlying thyroid carcinoma, The Endocrinologist. March/April;18(2):62-64.