If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911 or seek care at an emergency room.
If you’re a nursing professional looking for new challenges and an opportunity to advance your skills, look no further than MedStar Washington Hospital Center. Our award-winning, 912-bed teaching and research hospital is among the 100 largest hospitals in the country and renowned for handling the region’s most complex cases.
At MedStar Washington Hospital Center, nursing isn’t just a job, it’s a solid career path. In fact, our 2,000+ nursing colleagues include care providers, clinicians, researchers, educators, and others who nurture and support each other while providing superior care for our patients.
Nurses today have the benefit of many workplace options to choose from, but if you’re interested in in-patient and ambulatory care, I encourage you to explore MedStar Washington Hospital Center for the many opportunities we offer to grow your nursing career.
Here are some compelling reasons why nurses choose us:
1. You Can Begin with a Highly Regarded Nurse Residency Program
This first-year residency program, accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), is for nurses new to professional practice. It guides them in transitioning to this role and prepares them for the challenges. More than 60% of our nurses have less than three years’ experience, which illustrates the popularity and opportunities of our residency program.
We immerse new nurses in topics such as engaging in professional collaboration, integrating research- and evidence-based insights into our practices, and practicing through a lens of safe, patient-centered care. At the end of the 12-month program, each nurse engages in an evidence-based practice project that can allow them to contribute innovations or improvements to patient care on their units.
2. You Can Move Ahead with Advanced Training for Specialty Nursing Care
Through our bridge programs, nurses can build upon their general nursing skills with hands-on training in specialty nursing care.
Opportunities are available within all our specialty areas, with our greatest need currently in our operating rooms and the emergency department. We also are seeking to hire or develop nurses for our women’s and infant’s care, critical care, surgical recovery room, medical-surgical services, and behavioral health service lines.
These training programs focus on providing nurses with clinical knowledge and experience in addition to offering guidance in relevant technologies, so they’re well prepared to deliver top-notch care.
There’s always room to evolve and try new paths at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, and we encourage and support that professional development. Once you start your career here, you will find it fulfilling to stay!
See the top reasons why nurses in MD, VA, and DC choose to work at MedStar Washington Hospital Center https://bit.ly/2Ws92ZJ @MedStarWHC
3. You Have Flexibility to Explore and Pursue New Roles Throughout Your Career
At MedStar Washington Hospital Center, there are limitless opportunities for nurses at all experience levels to grow, so there's no need to remain in one role.
Perhaps you’ll aim to become a senior nurse on the medical surgical unit who mentors and supports new nurses coming into the profession. Or maybe you’re considering becoming a nurse practitioner with one of our medical teams. Or a certified registered nurse anesthetist, nursing leader, nurse educator, or clinical specialist. Our strong commitment to flexible, adaptable career paths means you’ll have the chance to find fulfillment in many ways here.
If you’re not quite sure whether a new role would be a good fit, our Professional Development Council can enroll you in our Follow Me program. This program allows you to shadow a nurse in a specialty area and meet other nurses and staff members who can give you a better understanding of what the role entails and what additional training may be needed. You’ll emerge better informed to make decisions about your career path.
4. You’ll Be Part of a Hospital Nationally Recognized for Exceptional Nursing Care
Our recent recognitions include:
- Silver Beacon Award for Excellence—American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN): This award recognizes our Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit caregivers for successfully improving patient outcomes and aligning practices with AACN Healthy Working Environment Standards, among other criteria that support high-quality care.
- PRISM Award®—Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses: Our Medical oncology/hematology unit is one of 42 medical units worldwide to receive this recognition for exceptional nursing practice, leadership, and outcomes.
- Pathway to Excellence®—American Nurses Credentialing Center: This designation honors our working environment, where nurses’ contributions are valued, professional development is supported, and nurses are integral to decision-making. We have specific processes in place that empower our nurses to meet or exceed quality outcome indicators, such as reduced hospital infections, pressure injuries, and falls.
- NICHE ‘Exemplar Status’ Recognition: Our Hospital Center’s nursing units received this highest level of recognition for their exceptional care of older patients. We provide a solid foundation of education and training to support nursing for this important patient group, including a focus on special health needs, pharmaceutical management of the elder, and holistic care.
View more of our MedStar Washington Hospital Center awards and recognitions.
5. You’ll Work as Part of a Highly Coordinated Care Team
Whether at the bedside or at the highest levels of leadership at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, our team members understand that our mission, first and foremost, is to serve our patients. We find a very collaborative team approach is essential to provide good communication, support all team members’ efforts, and achieve the best possible outcomes for our patients.
As part of this interdisciplinary model of care (IMOC), we schedule time each day on every in-patient nursing unit for different disciplines to come together and coordinate care for each individual patient. Participants may include nurses and nurse leaders, physician leaders, occupational and physical therapists, social workers, pharmacists, and others who collectively discuss the varied care needs of each patient. This allows us to provide truly holistic medical care and to address other patient needs that help them get well, get home, and resume their lives beyond the hospital.
Not every hospital in this area can offer specialized care to such a complex patient population. But the expertise and collaborative spirit of our nursing team supports us in caring for whatever comes through our doors.
6. You’ll Enjoy Other Exceptional Benefits
We offer all our nurses an attractive benefits package, including competitive salaries for the region, 403(b) retirement savings plans with employer matching, a wide variety of medical benefits packages to choose from, tuition reimbursement, flexible paid time off, on-site wellness programs, employee discounts on parking, local events, and other purchases, and an Employee Assistance Program that offers free confidential counseling services to all associates to help them address professional and/or personal issues.
We also offer an array of unique benefits to support our team members, including our Care for the Caregiver support team, which provides 24-hour support or counseling if you’re experiencing a stressful event or outcome at work.
We encourage you to explore opportunities with us!